Questions about Ho Chi Minh

Hello all!

I will be in Ho Chi Minh between 23 May - 26 May (4 nights) and I havent been there since 1998! Would be very grateful if anyone could help me to reply to following questions:

- Does anyone know if there will be any live show (like music) during that period (23/5-26/7)? Show with famous artist as Quang Le, Minh Tuyet, The Son etc (or maybe they only sing in US?). Smaller artists is OK too. I want to experience how it is to go to a live show in Vietnam. Where can I buy the tickets then?

- A friend of mine bought a karaoke machine with lots of music from PARIS BY NIGHT in US last year. Can I buy this kind of machine in Ho Chi Minh too? The sound have to be original, no midi, no fake voices. Only original. A machine with 30 000 of vietnamese song or something and some thousands of english (vietnamese is more important). I want to bring it home to Sweden. The more music from PARIS BY NIGHT the better.

- I also looking for original dvds (karaoke) of PARIS BY NIGHT (no fakes please), anyone know where I can find it? Does Ho Chi Minh have a PARIS BY NIGHT store or something?

- Does Ho Chi Minh have any kind of outlet? Like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Michael Kors etc. Is it really real bags or all only fake?

- Im also looking for books about feng shui.... in vietnamese. Does it even exist? Where can I find Ho Chi Minhs biggest book store? I want to buy it to my mum and teach her about feng shui.

- I love to travel but hate to book hotel. So many to choose and it makes me so confused... A friend of mine in Sweden told me to book hotel at Distict 1 because it is more safe. Any recomendation of good hotel there? Im not picky, as long as its clean Im satisfied.

- Is there anything I should NOT buy from Vietnam? Like, some items is forbidden to leave Vietnam. Example fake dvd, fake bags, dried shark fin, duck eggs etc. I heard that some items I have to pay money under the table to the inspector at the airport if I want to pass for departure... If I got catch... Its not that I want to buy fake things, Im just curious what these inspector are looking after. I remember in 1998 (I was 12) that my friend have to pay under the table when we wanted to depart. But I dont remember why, because it was 15 years ago.

Since my stay is quite short, and I will go there alone, I wonder if anyone have time to show me around. A few hours will do too, or just for lunch/dinner and talk. I dont have any friends there. I do have relatives but I dont know them.

Im turning 28 this year, speak vietnamese and chinese (tien tieu, cantonese and understand mandarin). Born in Sweden and love to travel alone around the world to discover new things. My best destination is ICELAND and my dream is to visit Antarctica before I die. Im leaving for Tokyo within one week before heading to Ho Chi Minh so I appreciate it a lot for a few comments (took only 10 days for vacation).

Thanks in advance and have an awesome day/night!

Hi Helen,

There's a stage near my place where they always seem to have live concerts every weekend and always advertising singers every time I pass. I never look because I don't follow Vietnamese music that much but it gets pretty busy and looks like a fun time. I think they had a big show last weekend for the holiday but not sure what they have in store for the weekend you'll be in town. Can you read Vietnamese? I can only read conversational Vietnamese so I'm not sure exactly what this says but here's the website:

http://sankhautrongdong.com.vn/aboutcategory.aspx

Regarding your questions about Paris By Night DVD's; I would guess that 99% are pirated but you might be able to find original editions in the high end bookstores (there's one on Nguyen Hue in D1)

There is a Louis Vuitton and Gucci store (real legit stores) both centrally located in D1. Of course you can also buy fakes at many places around town.

PS: When you go to Tokyo eat some takoyaki for me. I have dreamt about it everyday for the last 3 months since I was there and have not been able to find it anywhere here in Vietnam. (Actually just eat everything you see for me; the food there is amazing)

Hi, of course you can buy all kinds of fakes here. But go to Vincom Centre in dist 1 and you will find all real stuff at good prices. I can speak Cantonese too so PM me if you are interested to meet up within your short time here. Would love to have a friend in Sweden. Cheers..    Rui Bin

Dear Helen Trinh,

+ I think this time, not easy for you can find a big live show  for these signers whom you like. As nickname JVo 18 told: you can enjoy music in Trống Đồng ( 12B Cách Mạng Tháng 8, D 1)  ...But in my opinion you can  also enjoy music with live voice of famous artists in Music coffee shops ( Vietnamese they call : Phòng Trà ), it realy good place for you can enjoy music, very classic.It is the best. For Example:

* M & Tôi  Music Coffe Shop -  176 Điện Biên Phủ, D,3, TP.HCM
http://mvatoi.com.vn ), main singer: Elvis Phương, Tuấn Ngọc, Giao Linh, Quang Hà, Cẩm Vân, Khắc Triệu, Đàm Vĩnh Hưng, Mỹ Tâm…

* Không Tên Music Coffe Shop -112 Lê Thánh Tôn -  Bến Thành, D 1, HCM (  http://www.phongtrakhongten.vn/)

* Đồng Dao Music Cofee Shop - 164 Pasteur - D 1, HCM. (http://www.dongdao.com.vn/)

+ With the karaoke machine i think you can find in the Nguyễn Kim Shopping Center where  have a lot of choices for you. (  63-65-67 Trần Hưng Đạo, D.1, HCM - http://www.nguyenkim.com/)

+ About DVD, normaly many people can find in Saigon Square center where the people can buy clothes and dvds ( One at 7-9, Tôn Đức Thắng, Bến Nghé, D.1  & the other one at 77-89, Nam Kỳ Khởi Nghĩa, Bến Thành, D.1, HCM ). But most of them are fake dvd but good quality. And a Big Store you can find DVD in Saigon is: UYÊN Store: 82 Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai, D.3, HCM. NOTE: If you buy DVD remember protect all your DVDs by silver paper bcz it will detroy by scan machine in the airport with out silver paper).

+ You can buy Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Michael Kors etc at Vincom A & Vincom B - 72 Lê Thánh Ton Street, D.1, HCM). It is good place for you can buy real bags.

+ Looking for books about feng shui. You can buy in Nguyễn Huệ Book Store : 40 Nguyễn Huệ, D.1, HCM )

+ Dict 1 really best choice, If you want 5 * hotel you can find a lot of there and if you want 2* & 3 * have a lottttt also. You can take a look this page : http://www.booking.com/hotel/vn/a-em-19-dong-du.vi.html , have a lot of choices for you, better you find a hotel dict 1 but need to belong to Ben Thanh Ward is the best.

+ Fake dvds, fake bags can enter plane, dont worry. Just only with liquid ex: perfume you need to keep in your checked baggage ( if you keep in ur hand baggage you will lose it ).And anything have big value you should keep with you in hand luggage.

Hope you have a good trip.

Yuli

Nowadays it's hard for the "inspectors" to subsidize their incomes, especially with the way the new international terminal is set up. It hasn't happened to me in years. It would help if you don't give them a reason.

How much are you looking to spend on your hotel room? District 1 is good because it's close to everything, but it also has a wide range of hotels available.

Hey Trinh,

To bad.... That weekend I'm in Phú Yen, so can't take you around the city. 

For Hai Ngoai singer you can check out "phong tra WE" ... On the 24th to 25th  they have Y Lan

Paris By Night : I don't think you can't find any original one here ... Because the government don't allow P.B.N in VN ...  Don't buy any DVD out sides big book store because you can't get them out VN ... In airport they will check and with out the original stamp, they'll take it ... Last year, I loss ten DVD... Even the sale men in the market tell me these are original one .. Don't believed it...

Hotel district one are the best  for short stay and Agoda.com is the best to check out all hotel price and location imformation ... You can call the hotel to book after check out with agoda because with agoda you'll need to pay the fee and tax .. But I always like book with agoda, easy ... call the hotel,  they will always give the price little higher (they include the tax..so almost the same but with agoda you don't have to deal with long call and sometime language )

If you need to ride around by motorbike than check out "Thienkhach.con" ... If you can speak Viet than is very easy to deal with them ... They are a type of "xeom" ... But have meter box just like the taxi so you don't have to deal the price ... They can take you any where you want, waiting for you to shop, eat ... I used to use them for two hours ... Shop and go eat with my friends ... Visit family ... Every hour I tips them 1500 plus the cost in the meter box ... The total is only 150 thousand ... Every convenient ... Call them ... Office no. 0938123212 or the guy name Canh 0906764319.   (You need to speak Vietnamese when you call him) don't foget to mention my name ;) Lilly ... :)

Hope, those information will help.

Daisy

Omg... Im so happy... Thanks for all the replys. What would I do without expat-blog.com? :)

JVo18 wrote:

Hi Helen,

There's a stage near my place where they always seem to have live concerts every weekend and always advertising singers every time I pass. I never look because I don't follow Vietnamese music that much but it gets pretty busy and looks like a fun time. I think they had a big show last weekend for the holiday but not sure what they have in store for the weekend you'll be in town. Can you read Vietnamese? I can only read conversational Vietnamese so I'm not sure exactly what this says but here's the website:

http://sankhautrongdong.com.vn/aboutcategory.aspx

Regarding your questions about Paris By Night DVD's; I would guess that 99% are pirated but you might be able to find original editions in the high end bookstores (there's one on Nguyen Hue in D1)

There is a Louis Vuitton and Gucci store (real legit stores) both centrally located in D1. Of course you can also buy fakes at many places around town.

PS: When you go to Tokyo eat some takoyaki for me. I have dreamt about it everyday for the last 3 months since I was there and have not been able to find it anywhere here in Vietnam. (Actually just eat everything you see for me; the food there is amazing)

Thank you! You are always so helpful :)

Yes, I will try those `takoyaki` and make you jeolous once I get back home :)

Any good restaurant you can recomend in Tokyo? :)

Sweetpants wrote:

Hi, of course you can buy all kinds of fakes here. But go to Vincom Centre in dist 1 and you will find all real stuff at good prices. I can speak Cantonese too so PM me if you are interested to meet up within your short time here. Would love to have a friend in Sweden. Cheers..    Rui Bin

Hey Rui Bin!

I will send you an msg :)

Yuli_nguyen wrote:

Dear Helen Trinh,

+ I think this time, not easy for you can find a big live show  for these signers whom you like. As nickname JVo 18 told: you can enjoy music in Trống Đồng ( 12B Cách Mạng Tháng 8, D 1)  ...But in my opinion you can  also enjoy music with live voice of famous artists in Music coffee shops ( Vietnamese they call : Phòng Trà ), it realy good place for you can enjoy music, very classic.It is the best. For Example:

* M & Tôi  Music Coffe Shop -  176 Điện Biên Phủ, D,3, TP.HCM
http://mvatoi.com.vn ), main singer: Elvis Phương, Tuấn Ngọc, Giao Linh, Quang Hà, Cẩm Vân, Khắc Triệu, Đàm Vĩnh Hưng, Mỹ Tâm…

* Không Tên Music Coffe Shop -112 Lê Thánh Tôn -  Bến Thành, D 1, HCM (  http://www.phongtrakhongten.vn/)

* Đồng Dao Music Cofee Shop - 164 Pasteur - D 1, HCM. (http://www.dongdao.com.vn/)

+ With the karaoke machine i think you can find in the Nguyễn Kim Shopping Center where  have a lot of choices for you. (  63-65-67 Trần Hưng Đạo, D.1, HCM - http://www.nguyenkim.com/)

+ About DVD, normaly many people can find in Saigon Square center where the people can buy clothes and dvds ( One at 7-9, Tôn Đức Thắng, Bến Nghé, D.1  & the other one at 77-89, Nam Kỳ Khởi Nghĩa, Bến Thành, D.1, HCM ). But most of them are fake dvd but good quality. And a Big Store you can find DVD in Saigon is: UYÊN Store: 82 Nguyễn Thị Minh Khai, D.3, HCM. NOTE: If you buy DVD remember protect all your DVDs by silver paper bcz it will detroy by scan machine in the airport with out silver paper).

+ You can buy Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Michael Kors etc at Vincom A & Vincom B - 72 Lê Thánh Ton Street, D.1, HCM). It is good place for you can buy real bags.

+ Looking for books about feng shui. You can buy in Nguyễn Huệ Book Store : 40 Nguyễn Huệ, D.1, HCM )

+ Dict 1 really best choice, If you want 5 * hotel you can find a lot of there and if you want 2* & 3 * have a lottttt also. You can take a look this page : http://www.booking.com/hotel/vn/a-em-19-dong-du.vi.html , have a lot of choices for you, better you find a hotel dict 1 but need to belong to Ben Thanh Ward is the best.

+ Fake dvds, fake bags can enter plane, dont worry. Just only with liquid ex: perfume you need to keep in your checked baggage ( if you keep in ur hand baggage you will lose it ).And anything have big value you should keep with you in hand luggage.

Hope you have a good trip.

Yuli

Thanks a lot Yuli.

I will for sure check those website out and visit that karaoke machine place :)

When you mention those silver papers, where can I get these? Or do you mean aluminum foil?

Regards Helen

LastInTranslation wrote:

Nowadays it's hard for the "inspectors" to subsidize their incomes, especially with the way the new international terminal is set up. It hasn't happened to me in years. It would help if you don't give them a reason.

How much are you looking to spend on your hotel room? District 1 is good because it's close to everything, but it also has a wide range of hotels available.

Hi!

I just want to be sure that I will not be in trouble when I will leave Vietnam. Better to know what is OK and what is NOT in advance :)

Cost for the hotel room dosent matter (money is the last thing I worry about). I think I will book somewhere at district 1. Guess I will read all those ratings customer give to the hotel before I decide :)

Daiisy wrote:

Hey Trinh,

To bad.... That weekend I'm in Phú Yen, so can't take you around the city. 

For Hai Ngoai singer you can check out "phong tra WE" ... On the 24th to 25th  they have Y Lan

Paris By Night : I don't think you can't find any original one here ... Because the government don't allow P.B.N in VN ...  Don't buy any DVD out sides big book store because you can't get them out VN ... In airport they will check and with out the original stamp, they'll take it ... Last year, I loss ten DVD... Even the sale men in the market tell me these are original one .. Don't believed it...

Hotel district one are the best  for short stay and Agoda.com is the best to check out all hotel price and location imformation ... You can call the hotel to book after check out with agoda because with agoda you'll need to pay the fee and tax .. But I always like book with agoda, easy ... call the hotel,  they will always give the price little higher (they include the tax..so almost the same but with agoda you don't have to deal with long call and sometime language )

If you need to ride around by motorbike than check out "Thienkhach.con" ... If you can speak Viet than is very easy to deal with them ... They are a type of "xeom" ... But have meter box just like the taxi so you don't have to deal the price ... They can take you any where you want, waiting for you to shop, eat ... I used to use them for two hours ... Shop and go eat with my friends ... Visit family ... Every hour I tips them 1500 plus the cost in the meter box ... The total is only 150 thousand ... Every convenient ... Call them ... Office no. 0938123212 or the guy name Canh 0906764319.   (You need to speak Vietnamese when you call him) don't foget to mention my name ;) Lilly ... :)

Hope, those information will help.

Daisy

Thank you Lilly!

I just checked www.phongtrawe.com. DAAAAAAAAMN, 21/6 Quang Le, I miss him with just one month... :( Guess I will have to haunt him in the US instead on my next trip... :(

By the way, does anyone know where I can donate money and clothes? I want to give it to the charity (can I trust them?) or donate it to orphanages. Do you know where I should go?

THANKS!

Helen Trinh wrote:

By the way, does anyone know where I can donate money and clothes? I want to give it to the charity (can I trust them?) or donate it to orphanages. Do you know where I should go?

THANKS!

Hi Helen!
It's a good thing you would like to do charity while your visit.
Please check this charity site
Have a nice time in Vietnam!

Yes, it right, aluminum foil, but any paper have silver color is ok ( ex; paper for cover the gift). I know one friend in Australia, she sometime buy DVDs in Vietnam and bring to her country by airline. So i will aks her for make sure now DVD can pass if it fake or not. And i will let you know.

Yuli

Yuli_nguyen wrote:

Yes, it right, aluminum foil, but any paper have silver color is ok ( ex; paper for cover the gift). I know one friend in Australia, she sometime buy DVDs in Vietnam and bring to her country by airline. So i will aks her for make sure now DVD can pass if it fake or not. And i will let you know.

Yuli

Ok, I will bring some aluminium foil with me then :)

Thanks for the tip! :)

Helen Trinh wrote:

Hi!

I just want to be sure that I will not be in trouble when I will leave Vietnam. Better to know what is OK and what is NOT in advance :)

Cost for the hotel room dosent matter (money is the last thing I worry about). I think I will book somewhere at district 1. Guess I will read all those ratings customer give to the hotel before I decide :)

The range is wide... if you're willing to spend over $250USD/night, then just go for the Park Hyatt or Intercontinental. If you're looking for around $125/night, then Novotel isn't a bad choice.

Then you have hundreds of local hotels for well under $75/night. I paid $35/night when I went last. You can get a backpackers hostel for $10/night.

So it's difficult for us to give a recommendation if you don't give us a price.

Helen Trinh wrote:

Ok, I will bring some aluminium foil with me then :)

Thanks for the tip! :)

Don't bother, aluminum foil doesn't stop x-rays, unless maybe you use the whole roll, and then a 2nd one.

Hello Helen,

My friend just adopted an abandon 10 days old baby girl 3 days ago from Catholic church.  She was telling me about the nuns are in need of help building a place for all less-fortunate to stay and for young unwanted pregnant girls to stay and have their babies.

I'm sure they would love everything you can give.  Medicine, Money, a bag of cement, a roof, clothes or even a door.

She's planning a trip to visit the place next week.  It would be nice to tell them if they have you as one of the donor.

Thanks in advance for your generous heart.

Hi Helen,

If you want to purchase original DVD, Karaoke for Paris By Night, you can check out Thuy Nga website at www.thuyngashop.com. They do deliver to worldwide customers.

Moderator please do not delete this post. This is not an advertisement.

maiphan wrote:

Hello Helen,

My friend just adopted an abandon 10 days old baby girl 3 days ago from Catholic church.  She was telling me about the nuns are in need of help building a place for all less-fortunate to stay and for young unwanted pregnant girls to stay and have their babies.

I'm sure they would love everything you can give.  Medicine, Money, a bag of cement, a roof, clothes or even a door.

She's planning a trip to visit the place next week.  It would be nice to tell them if they have you as one of the donor.

Thanks in advance for your generous heart.

Hi Mai!

Do you have more information about this church? Is it in Ho Chi Minh or outside the city? A website would help me a lot.

THANKS.

tomkat70 wrote:

Hi Helen,

If you want to purchase original DVD, Karaoke for Paris By Night, you can check out Thuy Nga website at www.thuyngashop.com. They do deliver to worldwide customers.

Moderator please do not delete this post. This is not an advertisement.

Hey Tomkat,

I know that website already. I want to buy A LOT of DVDs, but it will be tooooo expensive.. Thats why I want t buy from Vietnam... If I can find it. :)

Hi Helen,

I doubt it you can find those original DVDs here in Vietnam due to the strict privacy law enforced. Good luck!

Tom

All I know is that it is outside of HCM city.  Kien Giang is what I was told.  I don't think they have a website.  It is a small church and the nuns are the ones helping build the "Caring Home".  I can find out more information for you, but I'm planning to go with her on her next trip there.

Thanks Helen, I think most of my information is pretty useless lol, but thanks again.

Yes I can recommend some good restaurants in Tokyo. Where are you staying? I stayed in Chuo-ku, which is the main commercial center of Tokyo, 5 minutes away from the largest and most famous fish market in the world - Tsukiji. But you can find basically great food anywhere in Tokyo.

If you need assistance during you're stay here in VN or help just send me a message. I'll be glad to point you in the right direction.

Jerry