Indian Grocery Stores.....

Hi

Can any one please help me for Indian Grocery Stores from where i can buy "ATTA", "DAAL" Masalas.......

Im Staying at district 1 in HCMC

Thanks in Advance

Rakesh Arora

SHOP PHƯƠNG HÀ HÀM NGHI
Địa chỉ    : 58 Hàm Nghi, Quận 1, Tp.Hồ Chí Minh
(close to Bitexco Tower)
phuonghahamnghi.vn/lien-he.html

It's not an Indian grocery shop per say....however, they do have a fair collection of Indian grocery items (Indian brands) on their shelves.
Yes, Atta, Masala, Daal, Pickles, South Indian Recipes, Snacks (Haldiram's) etc. are there.

Pls check the expiry (best before) date of any product you buy.

Thanks for ur prompt reply.....   :)

My Indian friend buys her dried dal in Giant Supermarket District 7 inside Crescent Mall. They do not have Indian spices or any other Indian products. She buys vegetables from Lotte Market in District 7 because she says those are freshest. She brings her Indian spices with her from India in the suitcase. I suggest you to contact Indian restaurant and ask where they get spices. There are many in district 10.

Please do post if you find a good Indian market.

Hi.

I go to Phuong Ha store on 54 Ham Nghi (close to Bitexco building). in D1.

They have Atta and Daal.

Could you please suggest where in district 10.

harsh19286 wrote:

Could you please suggest where in district 10.

Not sure about D10.
I think, now you can source your Indian items from these "Pansglobal" guys...
Indian Food Cart - Vietnam
You can buy online from their e-shop or get in touch with them if you have specific needs.

Great thanks. Hope they give me a good price.

I go to Phuong Ha store on 54 Ham Nghi (close to Bitexco building). in D1.

They have Atta and Daal.

They also have almost all the Indian spices you could want in bulk bags:

tumeric powder, cumin seeds and powder, mustard seeds, and so on.

There are two stores right beside each other. Upstairs in the one on the left (facing the entrance), are atta and daal. Not horribly expensive, either.

Thanks for the post. The directions and description are very helpful.

i want to learn how to cook chicken palak or paneer palaak :)

thank you

I love Manjula's Kitchen. It is free and the lady has many videos so it is like having your Auntie show you how to cook. And she cooks in a real, humble kitchen without fancy cookware. This gives me hope I can cook it all at home successfully. Her food is all vegetarian and the type you would find cooked in homes. http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/

You could also look at some recipes from the famous lady cook Madhur Jaffrey online.

Paneer is easy to make at home. There are many recipes online. You just need to boil milk in big pot and add required white vinegar or lemon juice to make the cheese stuff come together. Then you strain the hot liquid through cheesecloth and let it drip dry. That becomes the paneer. (Ok I know this sounds gross but I could not find cheese cloth here so i just bought NEW cloth diapers which have the same kind of weave and cotton fabric as cheesecloth and washed them very well.) You can also substitute well drained, firm tofu (soya paneer). Restaurants all add heavy cream as they finish this dish so if you try a normal homecooked version you will not usually have such a rich taste. The palak part is really a special spinach-like green but you can substitute spinach for it. To get it really smooth you need a blender and patience.

Ok-- today was an amazing day because I finally made my way to a store selling many Indian things.
The bad news was it was extremely hot inside the small and crowded store and my friend with her crying 5 year old child were also there with me. Kind of hard to shop like that. I will avoid that place on Saturday afternoons due to crowds. :-)

The store lady did tell me if you place a large order they can deliver to your home which is a good thing for those of us who don't live in district 1. I don't remember how much the order has to be as by that time the friend's kiddo was in full meltdown stage so needed to make a hasty exit.

They had imported goods from all over the world at prices slightly lower than Cmart, Giant, Lotteworld. No fresh fruit/veg, some refrigerated foods though, liquor, canned foods, etc.
I only had time to really look at the Indian stuff.

They had all sorts of Dals (dry beans/lentils),ghee,  mango powder, hing, Indian tamarind, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, mouth freshners, parachute hair coconut oil, basmati rices, those popped rice to go on chaat, applams, papadums, etc.

I am a bit lazy to make my own spice mixtures so prefer to buy the small boxes that are ready to go.
Here is what i bought and what I paid. Maybe people can let me know if they think it is high price compared to where they shop?:

Giant rolling wooden pin 60,000
1kg Ashervad atta 45,000
500g Box of Red Label Brooke Bond Tea 150,000
Everest Rajma masala Spice Blend 55,000
Everest Kitchen King Masala 60,000
Subzi Masala 40,000
MDH Kitchen King 50,000
Catch Curry powder 40,000
MDH T-Plus Masala 65,000
Catch Garam Masala 40,000
Catch Dal Makhani Masala 40,000
Catch Channa Masala 40,000

The store is called
PHUONG HA (I can't type Vietnamese so it is missing like an apostrophe after the U and after the O. There is also a downwards accent mark on the A in Ha.
58 Ham Nghi Q1 (Goc Pasteur)
Phone (08) 39141318
Email: [email protected]

There are  2 shops - 56 and 58 Ham Nghi, Q1.
Don't forget to check the product expiry date as many they kept front row is expired or nearly expire. Oils went rancid!

There are  2 shops - 56 and 58 Ham Nghi, Q1.
Don't forget to check the product expiry date as many they kept front row is expired or nearly expire. Oils went rancid!

I agree with you. Those shops are so hot temperature wise I do believe things will go bad quickly as a result.I was melting in there from the heat.
I would NOT buy anything there in a tin or any oils due to heat. At least if you buy oil from a hypermarket they are running the aircon for their opening hours. I keep all my spices here in the freezer and the oils in the fridge. It seems to help.

Greetings everyone,

Yup I fully agree with happy2beinindia, about the small shop and the condition inside the shop.
The passage is just too narrow. Probably, another reason for the temperature inside the shop.

I faced the same problem when went with my wife and son. It was a terrible experience.

Agree with chamavietnam as well, to check for the expiry date.

So the solution for me is, I carry stuff like wheat flour, dal, ghee, etc when I visit my family in VN.
And I do that every month, so now we don't really have to go to that shop any more. :)

Also, I see the price is pretty high there.

If any of you guys would like to have those stuff, you can drop a line to me and I can check the price for you over the weekend and if you agree, can carry for you as well.

If I remember correctly, the price of 1 kg aashirwad flour would cost you around 32000vnd.
Amul Ghee 1 kg should be around 270000vnd.

You can drop a line at my email: ***

Cheers.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum. You should exchange them through the private messaging system.Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

That is such a kind offer. Thank you so much for your gracious hospitality.
I have enough now for the rest of my time here in Vietnam since I will leave in June.

By the way who do you think has the best flight/ service prices for flights from here to India?
Would love to go for a long weekend to Delhi since it is on the East coast it might be closer.

Would love to go for a long weekend to Delhi since it is on the East coast it might be closer.

Oops!
Delhi is in the north, north-west precisely. Chennai and Kolkata are on the east coast.
From HCM you have to fly via Bangkok (or Singapore/ HK etc.). No direct flight to India yet.
Fly with Thai Air. I think they are the best. They fly to most Indian cities from BKK.
Another choice is Jet Air (on code share basis with VN Air). Not sure about their service and they fly only to Mumbai (via BKK). May be to Delhi as well...not sure.

Yes you are right. I used to live in Chennai and it is a lovely city. I have never been  to Calcutta. Shopping is good in Delhi though.

Greetings,

@happy2beinindia: I am working in Malaysia so my flights are from Malaysia.
I have tried with malindo, malaysia airlines, jet airlines and airasia.
Depending on the city you would like to go, malindo could be a good option.
This Feb I will be trying airindia express.
Heard its good, though they fly only to Chennai from Kuala Lumpur.

As for a direct flight from HCM to India, yup I too read some time back that jet airways would be starting a flight from HCM to Mumbai, via Bangkok.
But when I checked just now, there seems to be a direct flight to Mumbai.
You can contact them for details.
But Delhi would be pretty hot in June (assuming you would be going around June, after HCM).
You may want to take that into account.

You can buy indian groceries online in vietnam at https://astaca.com

clementineBR1 wrote:

i want to learn how to cook chicken palak or paneer palaak :)

thank you

First par boil the spinach and make a puree in a blender. The quantity of spinach depends on how thick curry you need.

For 1 kilogram of chicken  take 5-6 cloves of garlic and 1 inch of ginger and around 4-5 mid size onions. Make a paste in a blender. Keep aside.

Take a cooking pan take 2 tablespoon of oil and heat it. Once it's hot put the onion garlic paster and cook till the oil separated from onion mxture.  Put corriender powder 2 teaspoon, red chilli powder as per your need and salt to taste and mix well after one minute put chicken pieces and mix well for one or two minutes.

Once chicken pieces are completely mixed with spices, put spinach puree and cook for 15-20 minutes or till chicken become tender.

You can add water as per your requirement. The difference in Palak Paneer is instead of putting chicken first you put spinach puree in spices mix and cook for 5 minutes in medium flame and then put paneer and cook for 5 minutes more.

If you want to put dry Indian spices like cumin seeds, cardemom, cinnamon and black pepper. Put them before garlic-onion paste and once they start to crackle put the garlic onion paste.

Hope you will like the cuisine.

hello I need get  indian spice in Da Nang how i get

Phuong Ha also has another shop across the street on Ham Nghi, called Phuong Ha 2.

It is much larger, not crowded and not hot. Has the same stuff as the cramped shop.