Re: living and working in France

Can a person work in France if they don't speak French? What is the average rental rates for 1-2 bedroom apartments?

Hi DrNada,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Can you please introduce yourself and tell us more about what type of work you are looking for?

I also invite you to have a look at other threads on the France forum.

Thank you,
All the best,
Christine

Hello all,

I am a Doctor of Clinical Psychology and interested in relocating to France. I work as a therapist with children, adolescents, adults,and families. I am English-speaking with no prior lessons in French. However, I wonder what employment opportunities are available and what are the best and most affordable areas to live and work?

Anything along the Mediterranean coast or surrounding Paris is extremely expensive. Take it from personal experience. Though Provence is spectacular! I love living here. It's scenic and extremely rewarding especially if you're an outdoorsy person. Pricewise, I'd suggest checking out the suburbs of Lyon or the Languedoc-Rousillon region.

It might be difficult finding a home for your profession though. My host parents are finely wedged in the medical world and psychology hasn't taken hold here yet. Basically, if you need a therapist, you go to Paris. I wouldn't say that it's too advanced for them, they just haven't taken the time to understand it yet. Someone may have a different opinion

Thank you

I just realized I didn't even answer your original post. In Aix-en-Provence and Marseille, a 1 bedroom apartment will run about 400-600 euros per month. A 2 bedroom is about 800-1200. My boyfriend pays 900 for his 2 br apartment in Marseille and my friends pay 1000off for their 2br in Aix.

It will be 3 difficult for you to work in France, especially in the medical field if you don't speak french. Even if your clientele is mostly expat based. It didn't work out for my friend and she went back to the states to practice. There's a lot of technical paperwork you'll need to understand