Advice on relocating to malta

Hi my name is melvyn james i am a 48 year old electrician, fully qualified to the latest uk 17th edition regulations, I am looking for advice on relocating to malta with my partner and two teenage daughters, we have always resided in the uk.
My partner is 42 years of age and she is a fully qualified gas engineer and plumber so we are both fully qualified trades people.
We would welcome any advice on the relocation procedure and the current job situation, also advice on renting / accommodation
We have been on vacation to Malta a few times and have totally fallen in love with the island and its culture, however we understand it is totally different in reality when it becomes normal day to day living and not vacation. All advice would be mostly appreciated.

Hi Melvyn,

welcome to the forum.

Your wife would most probably have a problem finding work here as there is no gas network. Gas is just used for cooking and for gas heaters with LPG gas bottles. The plumbing business is very Maltese and mostly attaching pipes to outside walls.

You would probably be ok although the wages are low.

How old are your teenage daughters? They might need private English teaching schools that can cut into your budget.

If you coming from a stable and reasonable job situation in the UK you should be careful!

The weather in Malta is usually great but the job situation is not so great.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi - are you both EU citizens ? It sounds like it

It seems to me that there is a "national certificate" for every single activity ;)
Knowledge of BS7671 is the basis, but for almost every job as electrician the national Enemalta Wireman License A & B is required ... and there are also some other permits, certificates and authorisations available - see here
As UK citizen it should be easier to get your qualifications and work experiences recognised. You can contact MQRIC for further information.

But: Maltese language is required for almost every job as employed "ordinary electrician" and also most of repair/service/maintenance jobs.
The same applies for a lot of electrical engineering jobs on employment basis, since you have to cooperate with Maltese electricians.

The common electrical works and systems (domestic and industrial) are pretty simple here in Malta, and so are the qualification requirements ... as ordinary electrician you can expect a monthly salary of 800-1000,-, as electrical engineer (with engineering warranty) the salary is about 2000,- per month and engineering or maintenance managers can earn about 2500-3000,- ... all depending on your level of qualification and your responsibility.

Markus

many thanks for your reply, the information is very much appreciated thankyou.