Venturing out of Libya

Hey everyone!

I thank all of you for your consistent input on this forum. I have been following for some time now.

I thought I would ask how some of you venture and travel out of Libya for leisure time, as well as post some information that I know of in regards to traveling.

How have you guys traveled out of Libya for a reasonable price? I have read of people travelling to Malta on Thursdays, but from what I have seen on AirMalta, flights are in the mid-hundreds. Has anyone any advice on how to travel to Malta for cheaper?

I am young and active, so I would rather try to save more to see more. For example, I found that from Tripoli that you can take a bus to the Tunisia border. From there, you can catch a 6 hour train from Gabes to Tunis for about $16. The following link has train information from the Tunisia border.
http://www.seat61.com/Tunisia2.htm#International

From Tunis, you can do a variety of things. One thing that I have researched has been the ferry trip from Tunis to Trapani. This ferry trip takes approximately 9 hours. A round ferry trip costs approx $111.00 for a deck space.
http://www.directferries.co.uk/tunis_ferry.htm

If you were to arrive in Trapani, you can look at train schedules or flight schedules. Look at flights for under $50 at www.ryanair.com!!! You can view the flight map and see that they travel all over! Rome, Venice, Barcelona, Paris, and Vienna are just a few all for really cheap! Sometimes, if you book a month in advance, you can get a free flight. However, you still do need to pay taxes, and they is baggage limitations via ryanair. You can also check into hydrofoils and take a very fast boat ride from place to place!

Basically, the information above suggests a possible way to travel and to see more land for a reasonable price. Not including how much it would be to get from Tripoli to the border, it would be about $150 to get to and from the border of Libya to Trapani(a ryanair destination), compared to $300(cheapest from what I have found online from Malta NOTE: Malta is a ryanair destination:) From Trapani,you can travel wherever you want for a price of significant lower price!

I did a lot of reading and just thought I would share this information and hopefully get information that I do not know of on travelling. I feel this could be a topic that everyone can benefit from. A lot of my friends have travelled via ryanair and ferries and said that it was a great experience. I would suggest and encourage people to read about proper travelling etiquette.

Anyways! This may seem overly adventurous to some! But I am a young guy and just thought I might offer some research to this forum.

Any stories on traveling would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If you are planning to go to Malta for a lost weekend, DON'T book your Air Malta flights and your hotel online.

Go to the Air Malta office in Burg Al-Fatah and have a look at the special offers which are not offered online.

When we last went (Sept 2009), we got 2 x return flights plus 3 nights at the 5 start Intercontinental in Paceville (including a big alcohol-soaking up breakfast to start the day) for just over 800 Lyd. This worked out at less than half the price we'd have paid booking online.

With the money you save, you can double your hangover!

Hi!

Ok, I've only been here for a month and so can't provide too much info about travelling out of Libya, but I like your land and ferry idea! Given the time I would do the same as you to travel abroad.

But I have something to put on the table here. In the month I've been here I've discovered there is so much to see in Libya and I would recommend checking out things to see in Libya as well.

I was fortunate to go to the Ubari lakes in the Sahara and it was amazingly beautiful. I did the customary trip to Leptis which is good as well.

But there is so much more to see here in Libya. So if you are planning trips I'd recommend doing some out of Libya and other in Libya.

Cheers

Good info if you're watching the $$. Me, I'd rather pay more to get the hell out of Dodge quickly and if that includes a stewardess, gin, tonic and some ice, then it's money well spent. :)