Getting drivers license

Hello all,

After we've moved to Malta, our daughter will have to get her driver's license in Malta.
At what age can she start her driving lessons, take her theoretical exam and take her driver's test? In The Netherlands kids can start taking lessons at the age of 16 and take the exam from their 17th birthday.
Any good experiences with driving schools?

Thanks.

I wish her the VERY best of luck! :)
The standard of driving instruction here is to be seen to be believed, never mind the driving afterwards.

http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … ng-licence

looks like 18 years old

better to learn to drive  somewhere other than malta

A good defensive driving course is to be recommended.
There are 'rules of the road' but very few adhere to them.
See this as though humorous it is also true..........

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=243666

I;ve been to Malta frequently and I know the style of driving there. It's not good, but I've been to many places that are far worse. Think Hangzhou, Moscow, Bangkok or Cairo. So as always, everything is relative.
I realize that it might not be the ideal place for a first time driver. But since we'll be living there, there really isn't much choice, is there?

Seat 0A wrote:

I;ve been to Malta frequently and I know the style of driving there. It's not good, but I've been to many places that are far worse. Think Hangzhou, Moscow, Bangkok or Cairo. So as always, everything is relative.
I realize that it might not be the ideal place for a first time driver. But since we'll be living there, there really isn't much choice, is there?

It's always worse somewhere else but for this person, as a first timer, it's worth the warning. (Based upon driving on Malta over the last 40 years.)
And it's not just 'not good' it's deplorable and dangerous, especially at the weekends.
Yes, there is a choice - use one of the excellent buses.

However and this is the irony, out of chaos comes order and as one comes to understand the 'unwritten' rules then one can adapt and get on.

Thanks for the warnings. I will be careful.

Maybe it could also be an idea to make the drivers license in NL during the holidays and afterwrds transfer it to Malta, does that work?

michael78 wrote:

Maybe it could also be an idea to make the drivers license in NL during the holidays and afterwrds transfer it to Malta, does that work?

That will be OK as any EU licence is valid

You can only take a driving licence in a country you have been resident in for the last 6 mnoths

georgeingozo wrote:

You can only take a driving licence in a country you have been resident in for the last 6 mnoths

Not true, if you apply for a e residency card you are declaring that you are resident in Malta. The 6 month rule is used to decide out of two or more countries which country you are resident in, should there be a dispute.

Terry

http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/Downl … d=9203&l=1

page 3

''normal residence'' means the place where a person habitually
lives, for at least 185 days in each calendar year, because of
personal and occupational ties, or, in the case of a person with no
occupational ties, because of personal ties which show close links
between that person and the place where he is living

When I applied for my bike test, I was told you had to have lived in Malta for 6 months in the last 12, and sign a declaration.

So your saying that a person cannot get residency until he has lived in Malta for more than 6 months?
I for one was not in Malta for 6 months before I got my i/d card and residency.
If you intend to stay for over 6 months you can get residency

Terry

you can get residency immediately (well, assuming you can get an appointment) as long as you intend to stay for a minimum of 3 months. However, taking a driving test has a stricter definition.

maybe there are also way around that, some EU countries I heard are rather "friendly" towards foreigners taking a driving test there.

Do I actually have to change my Swiss drivers license here in Malta when living here for more than 1 year or only when it is invalid/expired (nice thing is swiss license does not have expriy date)

This is from the TM  website-
Driving licence
required.
Substituted by:
L.N. 172 of 2011.
3. (1) No person may drive on a road any of the vehicles
listed in the First Schedule unless such person is the holder of a
valid driving licence or a learner's permit issued by the Authority
or a valid driving licence issued by any other competent authority
in another country.
(2) An application for a driving licence by a person who has his
normal residence in Malta shall be made to the Authority on the
prescribed form.
(3)
No mention of how long you need to be in Malta, just have to have residency.

Terry

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Unfortunately we cannot let my daughter do her driving lessons and exam in Holland after we have moved to Malta. Even registering her as resident back in Holland during the holiday is no solution. You have to be resident for at least 6 months to be able to get your first driving license.
Looks like she'll have to learn it in the "jungle" :D which is the Maltese roads...

tearnet wrote:

This is from the TM  website-
Driving licence
required.
Substituted by:
L.N. 172 of 2011.
3. (1) No person may drive on a road any of the vehicles
listed in the First Schedule unless such person is the holder of a
valid driving licence or a learner's permit issued by the Authority
or a valid driving licence issued by any other competent authority
in another country.
(2) An application for a driving licence by a person who has his
normal residence in Malta shall be made to the Authority on the
prescribed form.
(3)
No mention of how long you need to be in Malta, just have to have residency.

Terry

The link I gave above is to the full legal notice, which TM only quote part of.

Seat 0A wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
Unfortunately we cannot let my daughter do her driving lessons and exam in Holland after we have moved to Malta. Even registering her as resident back in Holland during the holiday is no solution. You have to be resident for at least 6 months to be able to get your first driving license.
Looks like she'll have to learn it in the "jungle" :D which is the Maltese roads...

She will also have to wait untill she is 18 by the look of it, see this link- http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … g-licence.

Terry