Close

Receiving USA Social Security in Ukraine..(retirement type)

I am interested if anyone has applied for SS while in Ukraine and what documents are required at the American Embassy in Kiev to start receiving benefits and if there is any ongoing documents for a person to submit while receiving benefits..

I am actually nowhere near the age of retirement but one day when I was in our embassy, I asked. The paperwork is simple and you do it just one time. Here's the complication, your checks are sent in care of the embassy. Since I live in Kyiv, this is not a problem to pop in once a month. Unfortunately, they will make no exceptions, you must come to the embassy each month and within a prescribed time or your check will be returned to the States. I made this inquiry just over a year ago and I doubt any changes have occurred.

I was aware of this 'check to the embassy' in Kyiv but was wondering if anything had changed since starting in 2013 the government will no longer produce SS checks but must have an electronic bank account to send your money to..In the USA anyway.. I wasn't sure if this new law would apply to people living in Ukraine..and avoid having to go to kyiv to pick it up.. I live down near Crimea and it would be a major hassle to go to Kyiv each month to pick it up.

The simplest way to do this is to establish an account with a US bank and have your money direct deposited into it.  I have an address with the UPS Mail Box system through a UPS center near my USA address (I think it is critical to maintain an address in your home nation).  Using UPS will give you a permanent contact for forwarding mail and other services that USPS cannot provide.  It is a bit of an expense (about $180/year), but well worth every penny.  I still own property in my home state and use this as my permanent mailing address (with forwarding and change of address to the UPS mailbox to insure getting mail and my son checks for any additional mail delivered there).   Of course it is much easier simply to keep your old USA bank account active.  My account has been active for over 25 years so there are no issues.  I use my debit card to withdraw money here.  It is free and safe, if you use the "Euronet" ATM system.  I would caution you not to use your debit card for anything except withdrawing cash and be extremely careful with the PIN as well as choosing a bank system that is safe.  Investigate the banks in your area and avoid those with ANY ties to Russia or any possibility of failure (recent collapse of "PRIVAT" Bank here is a good example).  "Euronet" is out of the EU and is very safe and reliable.  Although it is a bit of a hassle to setup, it is well worth the effort and perfectly legal.  I have an acquaintance here who uses his daughter's USA address for his home address.  By doing things this way, you can keep and maintain your Drivers License, a car (both here and in the US), and do normal business things as you would if still actively living in the USA.
And, it makes visiting the US with your new family a lot easier.

Expatriate health insurance in Ukraine

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ukraine

Moving to Ukraine

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ukraine

Travel insurance in Ukraine

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ukraine

Flights to Ukraine

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ukraine