gun laws for foreigners

Hi, can anyone give me some accurate information on - gun laws for foreigners in Ukraine.

We are buying a home in a village, and I would like to do some hunting, perhaps a shotgun for duck and rabbit, and maybe if the law allows it a rifle for deer.
While I'm asking what about hand guns for home protection.

I have asked a few Ukrainian friends but they only "think" don't really know for sure.
I tried to ask at the city police but the officer on the desk did not speak English and my Russian/Ukrainian is good enough to be sure of the facts on such an important issue

Thanks in advance

i can't give you a straight answer but you can take a look on this article in Ukrainian language. i will ask for a full answer soon. … ovorennia/

My wife is Ukrainian and doesnt know exactly,but thinks foreigners aren't allowed to have guns there. Many times even the police dont know and a foreigner going into a police station asking about guns may get you detained and a big hassle.  You'll certainly be under suspicion and they wont understand why you want a gun in the first place.  They dont have a gun culture like in the US.  99% of people there act like they are very surprised and a bit disturbed when I say I own guns in America and have them  in the house. They always ask why do you have a gun, for what?  They just cant understand why you would want one, especially if you say it's for protection.

I would say hire a translator,THEN go to the police station so there is no misunderstanding.

Questions and answers about formalities

Ask your question
Temporary Residence Permit Renewal
By ahsaan24
born in Ukraine want to get ukrainian citizenship
By AbdallahMahdi
Moving into Kiev
By marwood47
I want to go back to Ukraine - any feedback pls
By ryno.eksteen

Expatriate health insurance in Ukraine

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Ukraine

Moving to Ukraine

Find tips from professionals about moving to Ukraine

Travel insurance in Ukraine

Enjoy a stress-free travel across Ukraine

Flights to Ukraine

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Ukraine