New to Malaysia

Hello Friends..M Kunal here..M an Indian..Basically from Punjab, working in Delhi.
I am having an job offer from Malaysia
I am an Electrical Engineer with 5 Years of Experience in Engineering of on shore projects in Oil & Gas Sector. Company is providing me 7000 RM +Family accommodation (Furnished)& Transportation..My salary shall be taxfree. All tax shall be paid by Company only.
Please tell me how is the offer & how much saving i can expect..
Thanks in Advance

this is a good offer. if accomodation and transport is paid, then u can live a good life and save half ur salary or more. depends on your style of living. r u married and have kids?

Actually a very pot offer. Ten years ago 20-30 k a month as oil industry assuming you are not new - hard dangerous work. Obviously a bit less if Indian - fact of life i am afraid - but rates so low now? Could be due to massive unemployment pushing rates way down.

You can live on it ok - it won't make you rich assuming no kids. If you have school age children then you won't save.

My main caveat is make sure you find out what real rates are now. This forum isn't the best place to ask for this kind of job. Try industry contacts if you have experience as mine is ten years out of date.

I am a single. I am pure vegetarian...I can cook at home. However some times i like to have food outside..I am not much luxury freak..I mean i believe in simple life n food..i love to watch movies, sight seeing & spending time with friends...

nemo, its a culture thing mate. i enjoy a party lifestyle but most indians live a simple lifestyle.

kunal, u dont have to worry bout kids and international schooling. thats a whole other crazy side. plus ur not married. ur ok to come :-) if u find it tough, complete ur contract and head back. life is a lot more peaceful than back in india.

if ur veg and ur company is providing accom, pay close attention to where u r staying. brickfields or little india can b a good option.

Dear Company is providing me accomodation. Many other employess are also living there only..I cant choose my location. My job location is in Selangor. I am confused about my saving there coz i am already getting a handsome salary in india..One of my friend was saying that U can save 5500 RM on this salary living a comfortable life. Is it True ??

I totally disagree the biggest boozers and party animals I ever met were Indian (in London and Malaysia) and not just Sikh males who have alcohol not blood in their veins lol.

Crikey most indian Malaysians can drink an expat under the table! And the bling bling nature of asia means big expenditure on business drinking!

white and Indian exists with families will have almost the same spending profile. The only difference will be more likely the India wife will cook cheaper. But hardly a big difference.

What has changed is that ten to twenty years ago expats were on expat contracts and now companies go for cheapest price that is more relatively attractive to Indian nationals but still too low to support a proper lifestyle. The great depression we are in helps in that Indian professionals in UK and USA lost their jobs and will take anything - and same for Europeans but less so as we have social welfare so less desperate. But now we see lots of have to be expat as no job types from west rather than want to be expat.

7000 nett pay and paid accommodation sounds good to me, but you need to give some reference to your current income and savings. Otherwise it's almost impossible for us to give you any good advice on this job offer.

By the way how long is the contract?

Dear its 2 Year Contract. I have mentioned my salary, facilities provided by comp..I have mentioned my life style. So plz give me a rough idea of savings i can make there. I supppose i shuld be around 5000RM..

kunal, its the type of life u live. electicity water telephone internet tv - 550. food 1000. entertainment misc exp, depends what u want to do 500-1000 u can save here. if ur company is giving u a car, then great. else another 1000 for car petrol maintenance. i would say u have the potential to save 4000-4500. all depends on how u want to live.

Dear I dont have Car & i shall not go for it as of now. My electricity, TV & other utility bill be paid by company only (except internet which i have to bear). Yes... I am Party lover..I love to party on weekends..Not to much HiFi...I would like to go to places for party where I can meet people to be gud friends..sply Indians...thats it

i would suggest buying a car. my opinion is ur need one here. go for the cheaper local brands like proton or perodua. even second hand, u have plenty of options.

man, u have quite a few things covered by company. good, u save on taxes. again, u r fine to move to malaysia. check out numbeo.com for a view on cost of living.

Kunal

i dont think you will be spending more then Rm 2000 a month as per your specified expences. you can actually save more then Rm 4000 easy with your kind of lifestyle

Thanks all for your suggestions.. It really helped me & boosted up my Confidence..
I am having one more offer from Saudi Arabia. They offered me 4500 USD. I can save their 1.8 to 1.9 lakh very easily. However i visited KSA once & found it quite boring. Life is very dull there dats why I am opting for Malaysia despite of less saving here.
Please comment & give your feedback. Thanks All

Ever heard of the grass is always greener on the other side? But wait a minute, are you more concerned with saving your money or not to end up in another dull place? I am afraid the 2 does not go together. Or worse still, what if you can only save if the place is dull? What if you party too much in Malaysia, till you go broke?!#@

yes..thats why m confused...i could not make a decision..actually difference in salary is huge..i want a balance in life n in saving..

My Location In Malaysia shall be Selengor..

With a reference i meant how much money you are currently saving and what kind of lifestyle you're living. You say you got good pay in India already, well that doesn't mean anything unless you say good in relation to what. Let's say u currently save equivalent of RM2K, then we have a reference for the discussion and not just the "I get RMxK offer is it good? How much can I save?" question which has been asked around 1000 times already by now.

Anyway I think you answered your own question already. You wanna turn down a financially better offer from KSA for a Malaysia offer due to better opportunities to party in Malaysia. To me that means that the number one priority for you is not to earn as much money as possible. Which is quiet unique in your situation i guess. Then it simply comes down to how much of your money you wanna spend on entertainment/food/etc, after you set your monthly saving target then you'd know how much fun you can have. If you wanna spend 2K monthly and save 5K, i would say you're not gonna have that much fun.

Btw Selangor is a state, better if you say which city you're gonna stay in, and even better mention the area/condo in that city.

As far now.. I dont know my exact location. I just know it shall be some where in Selengor. I am saving around 2000 RM now in India now.
M living a balanced life..Not too much boring, Not too much party bird.

Kunal,

I agree with Niklesh.

If you live your life decent way i.e not much boozing or partying.

You can easily save app 4000-4500 may be a little more, you will have to watch your money.

Transportation and fooding is not very expensive even if you are non vege.

I have many collegues who are single and may be of your age only.
I am saying from their experience.

Don't worry.

Thanks to All for their Precious time. by the way I negotiated with the company & they offered me 8500 RM now :)
I accepted the offer & I shall be there in Two Months. Hope to see some of you there.
Really thanks to all of you.
By the Way M pure Veg person who like Home made Food only & I know good cooking :)

awesome kunal. u will have a blast with that kind of package. have fun and enjoy malaysia! :-)

Thanks Dear :)

excelllllllllllent