Move to malta in june

Hello! Me and my girlfriend are planning to move to Malta from London in June..We have already read a lot info and experiences here, but we would be grateful for any up-to-date good advice or idea how to start our new life in Malta..

Thanks,

Hi bali,

welcome to the forum.

If you give us a bit more information maybe we can can give you more advice on your personal situation and Malta.

Just about all standard questions about living and working in Malta have been asked and answered.

Happy Easter
Ricky

Honestly, you should stay in London. Me and my boyfriend moved in September and lasted 4 months. I wanted a personal training job - the only exercise the Maltese get is walking to the pastizzi shop so that didn't work out! My boyfriend wanted a welding job (average £25K easy in England) and they offered him €5 an hour! Winter is awful and it was dead! It might be better weather but honestly the opportunities are minimal and pay is awful. Most English that move over will probably end up in HSBC call centre! Unless you're crazy/want to give up a good earning job if you have one/ or are aged 40+ then don't do it.

interesting, how differently the experiences can be :)

Hi Bali777

Ricky is right.....if you give us a little more info on what type of sector you would be looking at, what experience you and your girlfriend have (she's not a welder by any chance is she?), expectations when you get out here (real or perceived) and possible reasons for wanting the move then I'm sure you will be helped more or signposted in the right direction.

Happy Easter

Mike

Hi Froome13,

Thanks to share your experinece..well we just visited Malta last october for a few days and then we decided we move there as we rather can imagine our future life there than in London. London has just as many advantage as disadvantage. We live in London for 5 years and it is really unsuitable for life (for us...)
But thanks again for your share..

Bali

Froome13 wrote:

Honestly, you should stay in London. Me and my boyfriend moved in September and lasted 4 months. I wanted a personal training job - the only exercise the Maltese get is walking to the pastizzi shop so that didn't work out! My boyfriend wanted a welding job (average £25K easy in England) and they offered him €5 an hour! Winter is awful and it was dead! It might be better weather but honestly the opportunities are minimal and pay is awful. Most English that move over will probably end up in HSBC call centre! Unless you're crazy/want to give up a good earning job if you have one/ or are aged 40+ then don't do it.

It's a shame. Pity you didn't see further than your own wants.
Pay is relative too. Perhaps a little more homework and preparation would have saved you such a disappointment?
And. it's not just the reserve of the over 40's either.
Also, the secret of gaining employment and/or providing a service is to identify what is needed, not just what you want to do.
To say that the Maltese/Gozitans are not fit is an insult and a sweeping generalisation and I don't think that the younger generation would appreciate those comments.

See this too: http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … cer.463369

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for your interest..well, as we alrady been in Malta for few days last year, we decided to move and try to begin a new life there. Both of us are currently working in hospitality (cafe shop) and we also have hotel job experience (like waiter/waitress) But as we intend to stay for long, we are widly open for any job opportunities..

with respect Bali...I think you need longer visits than a couple of days to fully appreciate what life in Malta / Gozo will or could be like for you both - fair play to you for risking it although it may be little misguided - however I would advise more research and more searching probing questions of the members here. put a great deal of thought into questions  with the emphasis on the things that are important to you both. It wont be the first time one side of a couple loves it and wants to stay and the other eventually doesnt. There are not a lot of opportunities here but what there is, is in abundance and life here whether working or retired is what you choose to make it. Daily iving here is completely different to being on holiday whether it be for a few dasy or a few months..BEST ADVICE - do your research, come prepared for a hard 3-6months, have at least enough fluid cash available to you to provide for a full 6 months without working....but aim to get work asap....many get caught in the "holiday mode" trap and before you know it the cash is gone and no work either...the inevitable in these circumstances happens all to often - good luck guys.

Sound advice from Toon; again.

toonarmy9752 wrote:

with respect Bali...I think you need longer visits than a couple of days to fully appreciate what life in Malta / Gozo will or could be like for you both - fair play to you for risking it although it may be little misguided - however I would advise more research and more searching probing questions of the members here. put a great deal of thought into questions  with the emphasis on the things that are important to you both. It wont be the first time one side of a couple loves it and wants to stay and the other eventually doesnt. There are not a lot of opportunities here but what there is, is in abundance and life here whether working or retired is what you choose to make it. Daily iving here is completely different to being on holiday whether it be for a few dasy or a few months..BEST ADVICE - do your research, come prepared for a hard 3-6months, have at least enough fluid cash available to you to provide for a full 6 months without working....but aim to get work asap....many get caught in the "holiday mode" trap and before you know it the cash is gone and no work either...the inevitable in these circumstances happens all to often - good luck guys.

.........Amen.

Me and my husband are thinking of moving to malta  from England at the end of June, we were there for a two weeks holiday in November  last year and we decided to change the course of our lives, we are a young couple that has been married for two years with no children yet, to us Malta seemed a better place to start a family and begin building our life ...........we have fairly done our research on most things but like you know nothing is certain for sure. we looking at houses through various website......my worry is whether we shall be able to get jobs and settle in properly. l am an accountant by profession and he is a law graduate. Am so looking forward to the move and kinda prepared for the challenges because l know there are gonna be plenty. suitable advise is welcome or pointers on how to deal with the move challenges

Hi Pennlop,

welcome to the forum.

You are both highly qualified with interesting jobs. You should both look into international positions with international companies in Malta.

To deal with Maltese ,Maltese law and courts you would have to speak perfect Maltese otherwise you will be lost.

But I'm sure you will both find good jobs although it might take time. Make sure you have money to survive several months at the beginning.

Read through the forum. There is a lot of information already there.

Whether you can settle in depends on many things and you wont really know until after about 2 years.

Cheers
Ricky

I wonder if John Huber Associates is recruiting? Sounds ideal for you both and I am not being flippant.

good luck bali

toonarmy9752 wrote:

We found the same in Egypt, fine for a holiday but actually living here is a completely different ball game, especially if you don't work as there is nothing to do.  I had spent 6 years coming here on holiday - yet only 11 months actually living before deciding to move on to ....... MALTA !! Have done loads of research, never been to Malta in my life so no misconceptions - it is what it is.

Thanks Linagreek! The same to you for your plans!

"it is what it is" maybe the best approach to Malta - take it all in enjoy it and the people the culture the history - and embrace what you can as much as you can when you can.