Rakess and general info on RAK

Excited! Shipping leaves on Monday!!

It would be nice to hear from you which grade you are going to teach and in which section (PYP or BC).

In fact one of you might be teaching my grandson next year :)

Im secondary qualified but not teaching straight away. My husband Nick is teaching Year 4 bc.

Hi Aliwise

Your husband Nick may be teaching my eldest son Patrick then as we have put all three of ours in the BC school and he will be in year 4 in September.  Our shipping is not going until the 25th July, but we are almost ready to go now.

Matt

Hi Matt,

That  would be great if he taught Patrick! We are only shipping so early because we are off to South Africa for a months holiday and then travelling straight to UAE. What do your kids think
about the move? They must be so excited!

Cheers
Ali

Hi Aliwise and all new comers to RAK Academy.

Just a note and a reminder in the contract it says all new staff will be given a new mattress on arrival, this did not happen for a lot of staff last year and with everything you have to take in was overlooked/ forgotten so we did not get nice new mattresses, the beds were in most cases all ready made so the mattress was not visible when you first arrived....check your mattress and if it is not new then ask for a new one! Wish we had remembered we have now bought our own as you only get 3 months apparently to ask :) enjoy your last few weeks of UK weather and don't bother to bring wellies/woollies/raincoats you won't need them here...they are now things of the past LOL

Hi Sunnee,

Thanks for the heads up regarding mattresses!
I couldn't wait to get rid of my boots/scarves etc... all gone:) How long have you been there and are you enjoying it? Apologies if you are having to repeat yourself ;)

Ali

Hi everyone,
  It's nice to see that everyone is just about organised. I'm teaching secondary PE so if any of you have any children in the secondary school then I will teaching them. My little boy is going into KG2 ( reception to us !!) in the BC school . My shipping is booked for 2nd August other than that we are ready to go. Thanks for all the advice and tips for us on arrival sunnee.
  Aliwise, have a lovely time in South Africa and I am very much looking forward to meeting you all in August.
Regards
Donna xx

Hey everyone!
I am teaching French in secondary and our little girl will be also starting reception in the BC school. I am still waiting to get my paperwork back from FO and haven't started packing or anything although have started getting rid off lots of stuff... so much left! finishing school on friday so hopefully I'll have some time after that.
Regarding shipping our stuff to RAK do we need a letter from the school saying we have a job there? So it can actually be delivered?
Has anyone got their timetable? I was told I should get it before the end of the term... As well as the staff new handbook...?
Looking forward to meet you all in August too!
Domi

Hello
Ditto virtually everything CoachLES said except I have a son who will be in yr4 BC school.

I have the same questions about timetables and schemes of work, so if anybody knows anymore please do tell.

Hope everyone is taking the stress easily!

Ma' salaamah!

Hi Ali

I have been offline for a while as we are in Durban on holiday with my parents till Saturday 20th July, then we fly back to Cape Town. If you are in Durban it would be lovely to meet up with you before we go back to Cape Town if you have time.

Enjoy your holiday! What date are you leaving for Dubai?

Kind Regards
Debbie

Ah Debbie! We arrive on the 22nd of July :(
It would have been fantastic to meet up though!
I hope you are having a lovely time in Durbs and sure Cape Town Will be lovely too. Enjoy and see you on the other side ;)

Ali

Hi Ali

We miss you by 2 days!!Well have a wonderful time with your family & friends! We have had a super holiday with ours!! Just missing our 3 sons & 2 daughters-in-law in Cape Town!

See you in RAK!

Regards
Debbie

Hi All
Don't worry about timetables they are given out at the start of term and usually need adjusting several times before you settle with one! Lol it is fairly laid back here you just have to be patient, your class list will be given to you but again it may change in the first couple of weeks with pupils being moved into different classes so you will lose some and gain others for a variety of reasons, do not get hung up about the chaos you left the UK for.....it will all work out in the end. Just relax and enjoy RAK....after a frustrating day head for Costa's on the corniche and chill :) by Easter you should of got used to it and then you should really start to enjoy the way of life out here.......see you in September. ( if you really decide you don't like it here then you should speak to the head they are nice and understanding and won't pressure you to stay if it is not for you) But my advice is give it time the first term is hard and frustrating but it true lily does g.et better.

Thanks Sunnee

That sounds like great advice! Definitely going to try chill and embrace the chaos ;)
Looking forward to meeting you!

Ali

Hello everyone! I will be a new music teacher at PYP, in charge for lower grades. I am arriving on the 22nd of August, with my 16 year old son (husband is coming later). No shipment for me, I'm bringing just a suitcase and a guitar (if they accept it at Etihad airline as a hand luggage). 

Looking forward to meeting you all!  :)

Hi Donna!

I am a french teacher too and I am about to live in RAK. Can you talk me about the processus to work into RAK ACADEMY? What did you do to find your job? Do you think there is still any vacancy for me?

Thank you so much.

Hi Melanie,
Lovely  to hear from you. Why don't you email the school or visit the website to see if they have any vacancies left . They may keep your CV on file just incase a vacancy arises in the future. It is worth a try. Good luck in your job hunt . I hope it is successful . If you require any more information please post and I am sure all the lovely people on the forum will offer you some advice.
Regards
Donna

Hello to everyone,
Hope you are all as excited as me about arriving in RAK. Our removals are in Friday and then it's chill for the last 2 weeks of lovely British weather ( it does rain in manchester most of the time !!!)
Looking forward to meeting you all
Regards Donna

Hi Donna

Long time no hear! Hope everything is good. It is raining but then we have 21 days to go!!

Did you get the lovely e mails? Cannot wait anymore!!

Big hugs!!

Hey,
I know just been so busy . Hope you are well. I am on countdown mode now. Cannot wait eek 😄. Yep I did receive those lovely emails . Just puts your mind at ease for when you arrive.
Keep in touch and look forward to seeing you in 21 days argghhh 😋

It's interesting how we've all been quiet on this forum recently!  For us it's been heads down at work and then packing or organising every evening.  We've moved out of our house now and dotting the i's until we fly on Thursday.

Bon voyage everybody!

Well as all of you will soon be in RAK, allow me to welcome you!
I'll probably be crossing some of you at the school on my visits there, but without knowing you as we mostly all have a nickname here.
But I wish you all success in this new venture :)

Cheers
Arlette

PS: My picture is real, LOL, so if you cross my path do not hesitate to approach me :)

Hi everyone. Is there anyone here who has a experienced with ras al khaimah academy for their children? How's the teaching? Thanks

Thank you, Arlette, see you soon! :)

Donna and Amina...are you here? I think I have met everyone except you two!?
Ali

Hi all,

How were your first days at school? It still seemed a bit hectic yesterdays when I was there for the assessment of my granddaughter! People carrying furniture everywhere, etc.
Anyhow Mr Hughes assured me everything would be ready by Sunday. I'm looking forward to meet the teachers of my grandchildren. I now for sure that my grandson's teachers is one of the new ones but for my granddaughter I'm still waiting for the result of her assessment :)

Anyhow, I wish all of you success in your new school and a lot of fun in RAK.

See you soon
Arlette

Hello, I am considering a teaching post at RAK Academy. Can anyone provide me with information on the teachers pay scale at the school, and what you could expect to earn based on 3 to 4 years teaching experience? Many thanks, Mary.

Hi mary1379,

This thread has been inactive for years now, i suggest you create a thread of your own on the Ras al Khaimah forum so that members may provide you with updates.

All the very best,
Bhavna