New to RAK

For those who just arrived in RAK, are you settled in? Did you meet your community?

For those who will be joining in the coming months, how are the preparations going?

Do not hesitate to ask questions: if we can help, it will be a pleasure :)

Cheers

i am new here in rak

Hi there
Could you tell me about some nice atmosphere  Restaurants/bar in Rak

ZAK dxb wrote:

Hi there

It depends where you will be located. I don't know all the areas of RAK

Hi, I am a newbie to RAK.  Although I do have an international driving licence I'll have to take lessons & tests again in order to obtain a valid UAE licence. In the meantime, I'd like to know what other vehicles I might use (beside taxi)? Could I drive an electric scooter without UAE driving licence? Where can I buy a decent bicycle? I live close to RAK & Manar Mall.

Hello Singablesong,
Welcome to RAK! :)
Did you already obtain your resident permit? If not, you may drive with your international permit and thus you can rent a car till you can apply for a new driving license.
I would absolutely not advise you to drive a scooter or a bicycle here if you're not living in a compound. Driving a bicycle or a scooter on the streets here is too dangerous here. There are too many reckless drivers! There are a few women driving motorbikes but like Harleys! but they are very rare.
Sorry for such bad news but I really hope you follow my advise.
Cheers
Arlette

Arlette, thank you for your fast reply. I understand and will follow your advice on not riding a bike.

My residency visa is arriving very soon,so I'll take tests & lessons as quickly as I can. What driving school would you recommend in RAK and how can I find info about it?

Oh, and one more thing: is there a company for ironing services, with home delivery? 

Thank you.:)

Good morning Singablesong,

Regarding driving schools I don't have recommendations as I do not drive since 1995 and don't feel really to drive here. As I said they are just reckless drivers, especially those with number plates of Abu Dhabi of which you'll find a lot in RAK :(

Best thing I can advise is to "Google" for driving schools for women in RAK and you'll find several links. Contact them and find out what they offer and their prices.

For laundry services, there is one Laundry which has several outlets in RAK which is Modern Laundry. You have to register on their website to get access to their services and there is a link to their locations.

Hope this helps
Arlette

Arlette, you're of a great help, thank you!

ZAK dxb wrote:

Hi there

The Cove Rotana has a choice of restaurants and bars, they have Ladies Night on Mondays also. Otherwise in the city there is the Hilton Resort and Spa who have a variety of restaurants.
Check the tripadvisor.com website for recommendations from visitors.
Enjoy discovering the many restaurants RAK has to offer.
:)