Rising like a skyscraper or die like a herou

Hello everyone, my name is Julian, i have allmost 23 years old and i decided to start a new life in Malta from 0.
I'm from Romania, i have no parrents and no support, i'm on my own from when i turned 15. I finished my highschool with A + a pc operator diploma ! I have a driver license (B) and forklift authorisation. Now i work for 3 years to a manufactury cable company, im a head department and CNC operator and part time i work as a waiter in 2 restaurant's and as a receptioner in a hotel.
I wan't to start a new life in Malta and settle there, im psihically finished from all this stress from Romania and as much i would work, i know i will never have a future here, i prooved myself that i can handle from 0, so if i was able to do it once, i will try to make it work and the second time :)

I do need a job, i am willing to do anything and work as much as needed, extra hours is not a problem.
I have experience as: personal asistant/manager asistant, department head, waiter, dishwasher, bodyguard and security (im 2 meters tall), driver, forklift operator, worker in marketing and publicity, hotel stuff, business administration and development(i have my own small business in marketing) etc... if anyone knows a tip, i am willing to pay 20% from the 3 months sallary.

I will come with my fiance (26yo), she is looking to work there to, she has 4 years experience as: chief, pizzar, dishwasher, and in all what kitchen means, but her english is from slow level to medium.

Also i am very interested to make new friends, i am a reliable person who put's price on respect, honor and degnity, i hate alcohool except red wine, i study psychology as a hobby and i like to be updated with all the news about new technology and scientific projects, so if you wanna get out to a coffe for a chat, feel free to ask.
I will be on 30 march, i will stay in St Julian :)

So, can you give me some advice's on how to get a job, do i need an ID card first?
How are the people generally? etc.

Here is my facebook, you can add me as a friend: my facebook

Thank you all and remember: you only live once so...make it worth it :)

Hi Julian,

welcome to the forum.

Being allowed to work in Malta (legally) will depend on finding an employer who will apply for your work permit. You cannot apply yourself.

You will also have to apply for residence. Either with a job contract and work permit as proof of how you will support yourself or you can apply as economic self-sufficient.For that you need to show capital of atleast 14.000 € or a certain weekly income of around 100 €.

Romanians can work as self-employed without needing a permit but then you would still need to show the capital or income.

For all work permit related issues you should contact the ETC.

All this will be the same for your fiancee.

With the experience you have you should be able to find work but be aware that many jobs in Malta only offer a very low salary.

Higher paid jobs are usually found with languages, IT qualifications (in particular programming and website development) and in banking.

I wish you luck with your relocation to Malta.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Julian!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand

Hello, I'm glad I joined :)

Hy Ricky, thank you for all those usefull info. I do have an online  business but i need to make contract's live and i don't know what a company means there, how much is it costs? what involves?
And please tell me what do you mean when you said small sallary? In here i work 8 hours/day and i have 210 euro net payment/monthly, and my rent is 130 euro without bills. Do you think is better in Malta?
Thank you again and have a nice day, Julian !

Hi Julian,

if you find work in Malta you should be better off looking at the plain figures. Whether it is actually better is a different question!

It is very difficult for young people in all EU countries. Jobless rates in Spain or Greece are around 60 % for young people. Even in Malta it is not that easy - many young Maltese live with their parents as they can't afford to rent their own place anbd many have to work at different jobs to make ends meet.

Cheers
Ricky

Whew, from the internet pictures and life stories e erything looks much easier...but I wil keep trying...I have nothing to loose! Thank you again for the support!