Move to Malta

Hi

This is just a general enquiry as I have only just started considering a move to Malta from the UK.  I have a 9 year old daughter so obviously schooling is a top priority for me.  Are there specific English speaking schools (like in Spain) or are all schools English speaking.  I am wondering whether to let her complete her Junior years here and move before secondary? 

As for myself, I am an administrator/secretary and wondered how the work was out there for myself.  I also have beauty therapy skills - which do you think is most needed out there?

Also what is the average rent on a 2 bedroom apartment and is the cost of living cheaper than London? 

So many questions! Thank you for your time!

Estelle

Hi, may I suggest you look through these threads as some of your questions may be answered there. As far as I know only private schools teach in English. No doubt someone else will be better informed than me.

https://www.expat.com/forum/341-6-study-in-malta.htmlhttps://www.expat.com/forum/341-6-study-in-malta.htmlhttps://www.expat.com/forum/341-5-work-in-malta.htmlhttps://www.expat.com/forum/341-20-chil … malta.html

All schools are English-speaking "officially"
In fact, lessons for Maltese and Religion are held in Maltese, obviously. And some lessons are chosen by the school (in our primary school the lesson "Social Studies" is held in Maltese).

The same story for church schools, and it's quite difficult to enroll here.

Private schools are English-speaking totally, but quite expensive. Anyway, in comparing with England... not so expensive probably :)

9 years old is Year 5, so approx 1000-1500 EUR per trimestr in private school

Hi Estelle,

welcome to the forum.

To be honest, your job skills are not exactly the ones that are looked for in Malta.

Administrator/secretary usually requires Maltese language and is not well paid.

Every second Maltese woman is trained in beauty and works as self-semployed in the trade ( slightly exagarated but not that way off).

The cost of living of living is certainly lower than in the UK /London but that doesn't help much if your income is low and unreliable.

The question is : Why are you considering Malta? Generally speaking it is the island of young people speaking several languages or pensioners.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi Estelle , to be honest , I'd give it a go !!! - I'd also be wary of some of the , shall we say " questionable advice " you may receive on this forum !!! - there is some very good advice out there , and some which could be construed as being slightly protective with regard to the volume of foreigners seeking to make Malta their home ! - Be positive , go for it and best of luck !!!

Hi Estelle,

give it a go !

Some are in Malta and know what they are talking about. Some are still in the wishfull thinking section.....

It is up to you to decide on the questionable advice that folks in Malta give you.....as compared to those not on the island.

But in the end it is your decison ...

Cheers
Ricky

Thank u! What a great forum! I've taken all your comments on board and would just like to say to rikki that I guess you are one of the frustrated pensioners you mention with a negative view on others. Maybe I could work in a care home instead and help you in your wheelchair. Maybe there is more need for that skill than the ones I have? Anyway, thanks again and I'll continue with my research and my passion to live a simpler less chaotic life than the one I have now x

Estelle, that insult to Ricky was bang out of order. You know nothing of anyone on here and as you have never been here I suggest you think carefully about what you say to those who have, in your interests, given advice based upon experience.
As for fergie11, you live in UK so have no experience upon which to comment.
The fact is that Ricky is correct and his knowledge is based upon experience. I would agree with everything he says about work, lifestyle etc.
Beauticians are ten a penny out here and secretaries and the like do need to speak Maltese. You'll see.

Hi Estelle,

I don't know what makes you think that pensioners in Malta are frustrated? The ones I know are all very active and happy with their life after retirement.

The frustrated folks I know (and there are quite a few) are those who come to Malta unprepared and then struggle to make ends meet.

You asked how work out there (in Malta) is for your set of skills and qualifications . You can take the opinion I gave or leave it. It was not a negative view on you personally!

Cheers
Ricky (not rikki)

maybe the new commentors here are not who they say they are - as i recognise the writing style and uncalled for comments and jibes - trolls again spring to mind...

Yes, I agree with toon, sounds like people trying to make trouble, but on the off chance that estelle is a real person I would firstly say that if you are seeking a job as an admin/secretary being unable to copy type someone's name correctly could be a bit of a problem and also making comments like you did to Ricky who has taken the time out to give you some very accurate information about a country he actually lives in and knows about is very rude.  Not much point asking for information about something if you are going to disregard it because people are not saying what you want, if you want to move here and take the chance then do so but dont make personal attacks on people who are trying to help or you will find life in another country very difficult!

id go with rickys points of view regarding employment here - and having read the comments again and again i do think maybe they were being taken the wrong way and in a negative way - but am pretty sure the comments werent meant that way - it is indeed true that almost all admin work requires maltese and english as a minimum - remember the majority of these companies customer base will be maltese...and you wil be expected to be able to speak read write it... and as for the beauty techinician side of things there are a lot of them for sure - its a very very busy area of work - and they can be found in just about every village - some survive some dont....

Only my opinion nothing more - it seems to me that the information given is accurate but may not be received too well if it impacts on plans.

Ignore the information given by all means....it is simply for consideration.....by well informed knoweldgable people - and as regards putting people off.....i dont know anyone on this forum of regular contributors who put people off coming here.... thats not what we are here for! quite the opposite we try to encourage people to come here to live....but to do so its important to thoroughly research and prepare sufficiently.     

It is a fact when you have to work here to live it can be very very difficult (low wages long hours if you are succesful in finding a job) and fair play and the best of luck to you...many do try and fail but only because of insufficent support and research.