I am thinking of bringing my dog

Hi all. Looks like I will be moving to HCMC in August. I am thinking of bringing my dog. Just wondering on the availability of dog foods and kenneling for holiday periods and things like that? Anyone know much about this? Any info would be appreciated!

Better to know about importing dogs.

VET for shots and checkup
First of all, within a month of leaving snowy Ajax, you have to take junior to a VET to get all the latest and greatest shots. He also needs a general checkout and the VET needs to issue a Letter, with lots of stamps on it, saying Junior is in good health.

Which airline?
Then you have to figure out the best/cheapest airline which counts out Air Crap Canada. You also should avoid the USA because of the TSA and messing with checked baggage (your dog).

Check your PM for details of a travel agent who offers good prices to VN.

Approved Dog Carrier
YOU HAVE TO USE AN APPROVED AIR TRANSPORTATION CARRIER. Only use newspaper to line the container - NO blankets, etc.

Check Rules of Carriage
Find out from the carrier what their rules are respecting dogs. They are in the baggage rules, usually.

Some carriers will NOT ACCEPT short nosed dogs such as bulldogs, pugs, etc.

Day of travel
ON THE DAY OF TRAVEL, do NOT FEED JUNIOR, in fact do not feed him for 12 hours prior to travel. If he gets sick (vomits) he might suffer grave consequences.

Dogs, allegedly, can go without food for SEVEN DAYS < http://dogs.blurtit.com/q595643.html >.

Water for travel
BUT you should include a WATER DISPENSER which is attached to the side of the cage/container, and has sides such that the water won't slop over.

The better suggestion might be to FREEZE water in the bowl so that it doesn't spill whilst the airline staff load Junior into the hold.

Do NOT DRUG JUNIOR
Drugging a dog for transportation is NOT RECOMMENDED.

Print, with a marker, a big "To SGN" on the outside. Also any instructions about Junior. And Juniors name.

Secure the door with the SMALLEST ELECTRICAL PLASTIC TIE WRAP you can find. Enough to secure the cage and easy to cut.

ALSO print LIVE ANIMAL on the outside of the carrier.

Finally, the most secure label ever is a piece of sheet about 2-3 inches wide and 18 inches long. Cut the strip up the middle for half it's length. Write your name on it AND e-mail AND destination (SGN).

For a whole raft of tips, check: < http://dogs.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Dog_Air_Travel >.

For other tips see: < http://www.wikihow.com/Ship-a-Dog >.

Arriving in VN
There is no quarantine here in VN, we have more dog diseases than they have almost anywhere in the Developed world.

Your dog will be delivered to SPECIAL HANDLING BAGGAGE (in SaiGon this is on the LEFT SIDE as you go down into the carousel hall.) Get your baggage first then go for Junior.

All baggage is inspected by X-RAY, ask the X-RAY operator NOT TO X-RAY Junior. (Don't even put him on the machine)

They might ask for the VET's Letter, but usually you are told to get a translation and give that to some office within 30-day.

Things to bring with you
Collar, Leash
Proper NAME TAGS - big enough to have some locally stamp your phone number on them. Have your name engraved on the tags before you leave.
GPS Dog Tracker (GSM system) so you can keep an eye on Junior.

Hi bahunt,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have created a new thread as from your post on the Ho Chi Minh City forum.

Best of luck,
Christine

Also, I was happy with a basic exam and shots for my puppy at Modern Pet, Dist. 7. They speak English, have all kinds of accessories and food and a pet hotel.

Don't know if they are any good with specialized or serious treatments.

we thought about taking our pets with us when we move to VN but what i found was its easy enough to get them there, really hard to get them out of VN.. they would have to spend like 6-8 months in quarantine! We have found someone to look after them for the couple of years we will be there. That definately is something you should take into consideration i just didnt think it was fair on my fur babies to have them loked up with no one for so long..

I did bring my dog with me, the thought being that I would be staying in Hanoi and have easy access to a vet etc.  As it turns out its looking like its going to be Hue for the next twelve months.
Does anyone know if there is a local, reputable, vet?
And more importantly are we going to be safe.  I was talking to a young man in Hoi An that told me he had had a pretty little dog and someone broke into his apartment and stole it.  I had thought I would be ok if she was inside while I was at work, and always on a good leash when we were out.  Has anyone else heard of people breaking into a house to steal a dog, because now I'm worried about leaving her at all.