Pet Store in HCM?

Hello folks.

I haven't moved just yet but I plan to near the end of this year and I'd like to make sure I have everything worked out. My biggest concern is in regards to keeping my dog content; in other words, keeping his chubby butt happy and well fed.

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any Pet Stores that carry treats and toys for dogs in/around HCM? Or where do you folks get your pet essentials?

I've been searching for weeks but I can't seem to find anything at all. My fiance, who is currently in hcm, seems to run across pet stores that only sell hamsters -- yikes!

We will be in District 11 I believe, however traveling isn't a big deal.

Thanks kindly in advance and have a lovely week!

Welcome to Expat-blog, toyvox :)

Your discussion has been redirected to the Ho Chi Minh City forum for effective networking.

Regards

Thank you =)

I have been to the large MaxiMart and Co-op Mart stores and have seen pet food, shampoo, and toys.  It is a limited selection and the only food that I've seen is Pedigree brand dry and wet food.  Not the most healthy food for a dog, but mix in some cheap street meat and your dog will love it.

I have yet to see a separate store solely for pet supplies.

Had the same problem here in Can Tho. It was suggested I try the Universty. Worked out alright. The have a Vet. Dept. with a small assortment of pet food and supply's, not much in toys though.

Thanks very much for the replies!

I'm not too keen on feeding my dog the wheat based foods like Pedigree and Eukanuba; I had a feeling that they wouldn't carry some of the healthier foods. I'm guessing my only alternative is to have the food shipped but I haven't figured out how long  it would take/how much it would be. 50 pound bags seem like they would rack up quite a shipping bill.

Thank you for the link Wideawake. I'll be sure to bookmark it and send it along to the fiance as I can't seem to read the text on diadiem.

Budman1 -- I was wondering what University you were speaking of? Not too familiar with anything in HCM here, my apologies.

Thanks again folks! Have a lovely week!

@toyvox. I'm not in Saigon, sorry to confuse you. I was using the Uni down here in Can Tho as a ref point in case you couldn't find what you wanted in any retail stores. As far as shipping it over, it dang sure would be a lot cheaper to make a trip down here to purchase it every couple of months. Not to worry I'm sure you'll find something in Saigon.

Budman1 -- Ah, I understand, thank you! I'm still trying to find something in HCM but my efforts seem to lead to dead ends and broken urls. I appreciate your help and will definitely keep the Uni in Can Tho in mind. The fiance informs me that it's only about a 40 minute trip and you're very right, it definitely would be cheaper than shipping food over.

@toyvox Maybe 40 min by air. It's about a 3 1/2 hour drive one way. Don't think your going to get much info off the web on the subject. Like I said, not to worry you'll be able to find it in Saigon when you get here I'm sure.

Thanks very much, my fiance figured out the address. He's going to take a look later this month as it's about a 2 hour drive from him.

Thanks again for all of your feedback folks. I really appreciate the help!

I live in HCMC in the Binh Thahn District. We brought our cat and at the An Phu Supermarket in the ex-pat area of District 2 (An Phu) we can find everything we need. They have dry and wet dog food, brushes, leashes, dog beds, and a decent selection of dog toys.

When you walk into the store, go past the registers and turn left and then walk all the way to the left side of the store and they will be on the wall. Best of luck!

Just walked by a pet store in Phu Nhuan district, right by the canal.

believe it was called
KC Pets
Address:
6 Hoa Su

not sure what they have, but you can check it out.

here's the location:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= … 4&t=h&z=16

good to hear you're trying to avoid wheat in your dog food. instead of shipping over-priced pet food, can't you just feed your dog meat? that's the diet they've evolved to eat.

IF you are in HCM city, go to go to talk to Dr Nghia at Saigon Pet clinic at 33 street 41 Thao Dien, district 2. He will help you what you need for your dogs. I used to give many things to my dogs which I find out that they are not healthy for my dogs after talking to him. He is a well trained vet from the UK. Good luck.

Hi, you can check this out phuonganhpetmart.com.vn/thu-cung/lien-he-ac17.html

regards

Hi,

Welcome to HCMC.... you will have no problem finding what you need... if you know where to look.

1. Saigon Pet Clinic (Facebook: Saigon Pet Clinic)- Dr. Nghia carries a bunch of toys from City Zoo as well as snacks. He also carries Royal Canin, Frontline, Hartguard and everything else you may need. He is located in D2- 0909063267

2. For small(er) dogs, try Petit Ange out in D7. 23 My hoang, Phu My Hung , Tan phong word, D7
They specialize in toy breeds and carry clothes, accessories, toys and provide grooming as well.

3. Bigger stores will carry dog food (Metro, Big C)..

4. I strongly caution you NOT to buy dog food off the side of the road, the ones from China. Not the best quality, one pet owner's cat became gravely ill from it...

5. An Phu Supermarket, D2 carries Purina/ Whiskas

6. f you live at Indochine Park Tower (Le Quy Don St) or Sherwood on Pasteur then the Co-op is within easy walking distance - I think the Street is Nguyen Dinh Chieu.
The same supplies when in stock are also available in the supermarket in the basement of the Vincom Centre and Citmart on the upper floor of Parkson. I shop at Thai Hoa in Ham Nghi and they supply similar as do most of the shops along that street. They all also stock small quantities of dog food and pet shampoos and a few toys.

Please don't hesitate to ask anymore questions. If you would like to find a veterinarian closer to you, I suggest you contact. arcpets.com A.R.C. Vietnam (animal rescue and care)

wow all that information has been amazing. I am moving to HCMC in the next 12 months and reall want to bring our dog. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how their dog has settled into the tropical climate? and where do you take your dog for toilet breaks?

thanks

Hi,
Questions:
1) are you moving from a cold climate to now a tropical one?
2) what type of dog do you have (some dogs do much better than others). Our rescue organization A.R.C. had to rescue and rehome a Husky named Sam from Vietnam to Canada because the tropical climate basically destroyed him... he developed a plethora of skin problems. Our vet here in Saigon sees a bunch of patients with skin conditions, it depends on the breed... if you keep your dog indoors vs. outdoors, etc...
3) toilet breaks.... depends on where you live/ size of dog. If you have a small dog you shouldn't have too much problem anywhere you live. Just keep him/her on a leash and pick up after your dog. Bigger dogs do better out in D7 or D2 (more expensive area), not just because a home might have a garden (my dogs could care less, they prefer sleeping and watching TV) but because there is MORE room and space to move them without having to deal with so much traffic....plus you can take your dogs to The Boathouse, enjoy some beers, a lovely sunset along the Saigon river while your dog(s) relax at your feet....

Well I hope this is related to this forum. I breed Exhibition Budgerigars and would like to bring about 20 birds with me when I move to Vn. Is this possible to bring them as pets and are there pet stores that carry different types of bird seed?

Thanks
Jim

Thanks for the reply Zimdingo. I have a maltese/cavalier cross who like being inside most of the time, he doesn't get a;ot of walks, just plays in the samll garden.  We will be moving from a cold winter hot summer climate. I realise keeping his hair short will be important. where could be do that or should I learn to do it myself?.

Hi! I'm also new here in HCMC. I'm a dog trainer from the Philippines. Since I arrived, I been looking for a pet store here. I found a pet supplies store in Mac Dinh Chi St. near the corner of Than Cao Van St., Dist I. They sell various of dogfood brands & some dog accessories. They also have Vet Medicines like heartguard, Frontline etc... Hope this will help the dog owners here in HCMC.:) God bless!

Hello everyone, i am a dog breeder in HCM City. Currently, i am breeding Shetland Sheepdog or Rough Collie. I will have a pack of new born collie puppy in June. So, i do have many experiences about pet store and pet hospital in HCM City. If there are anything that i can help you with your pet, please email me and i will try my best to help you out. Have a nice day !

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Hi,

I just moved to Ho Chi Minh and we both settled in ok.
Now I'm looking for a dog sitter or shop etc who would take care of my dog when I have to go on my business trips.

Does anyone know such institutions?

Thanks for every tip.

Hi,

Can you tel me which breed ? age ? vaccination ? Where are you living ?
I can give you some news.

I send my beagle puppy to Bangkok for show and paid 4usd/day boarding. I think, maybe cheaper here.

Nghi

she is s Northfolk Terrier, has her Vaccination etc.

She is small size. She can stay with my beagles.
When you need help, pls contact me at 0913910686 or [email protected]

Taking account your location is in District 11,I can recommend some places for buying food and essentials:
1.The best one should be the city vet centre at 254 Ly Chinh Thang street
2.the vet center of District 11 at 337 A Minh Phụng,ward 2,district 11.Its closer to your place and one of my friend recommended it for me

These above vet centers are regulated by Department of animal rules and regulations so you can ensure these goods have good quality.They dont speak English but you can point at the goods anyway.
However,they may not be easy on your dog for vaccination or treating sickness due to the overcrowded issue.you'd better take your pet to the hospital(some ppl call Animal rescue center) in District 2.
Hope your problem will be sorted soon.

[Moderated: off-topic]

A pet store named "tail's home" is opening soon this week on 26 november...this store is located at CC10,truong son Street ,ward 15,district 10,HCm...they have all kinds of service for pets and they sell puppy too.Come there and have some look if u're interested...

Beware: We eat dogs here, so dont let ur dogs run around the road, hahaha,:)

anybody knows where A.R.C> is located? I tried contacting them in their website but no response yet.

What is ARC ?

A.R.C. Animal Rescue and Care

I thought that there is no ARC at VN recently.

The Vietnam Kennel Association (VKA) was found in 2009 (VKA is a Contract Partner of FCI and a member of AKU), but their website is on repair: www.vka.vn or www.vka.com.vn

If you can read in Vietnamese, you can refer to the purebred dogs forum in Vietnam: www.dogsinvietnam.com

hi,
you can try to give some calls to following phone numbers:
1/ Tel: (08) 5412.1175 (District 7)
2/ Tel: (08) 3963.3740 (District 11)
3/ Tel: (08)54082735 ( Tan Phu district)
4/ Tel: 0168.7100.799
If you can not speak vietnames, you should ask your vietnamese friends for hepl

ARC is located at Saigon Pet Clinic, Dr. Nghia's clinic in District 2. 

Address:  33 - 41 Street,  Thao Dien, 2 Dist, Ho Chi Minh City

Tel: 08 35194182

hohuunghi wrote:

What is ARC ?

That is a spammers club. Once they have your email address, you receive emails endless, even if requested, to be removed, every time, they say sorry, used by accident an old list.
No more than a Bunch of Like to be's important.

Is there dog crate available at Vet in Can Tho University?

Hi,

There are many pet stores which cater for dogs in HCMC but in my opinion the merchandise and pet care is not often up to my requirements for my own pooch. This is one reason for my setting up of a western standard dog grooming and accessorizing business in District 3 and close to District 1. We opened this week.

If you want professionally trained dog-loving grooming and quality accessories then maybe give us a go. We have special opening rates. There are two other pet shops nearby which you might want to make comparisons with.

We can source quality products as requested.

Mr. Hai, our professional groomer is Thailand trained and certified. Our motto is: Your pet is our pet!

Here are our details:
Dog Room Sai Gon, 242/7/9 Nguyen Thien Thuat St, District 3, HCMC
Call: 0908217371 or 0908 956022 (English)
Open daily 8am to 10pm.  :one

Hi,

Anyone can advise where I can buy a FRENCH BULLDOG OR GOLDEN RETRIEVER in Ho Chi Minh city?

Thanks in advance for your kind advise.