ADEC teaching 2013

Hello everyone

I know there are a few threads on here about Abu Dhabi public schools but I would like some clarification if anyone is there at the moment?

Are schools physically going through a modernisation process?
I.E learning environment smart boards etc?

How remote is the western region?

Are you well looked after? Paid on time etc?

Is it worth it?

Are teachers happy there?

I would appreciate any answers on these!!

Hi Insomnia11,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I have moved your topic on the Abu Dhabi forum for better visibility.

Best of luck,
Christine

Did you ever get any answers to your questions? Are you still considering moving? I currently teach in Atlanta, but will be moving to Abu Dhabi in August, harboring the same concerns. Let's keep n touch!

Hey all I'm wondering if anybody took adec or what they went for instead. There's so many options I'm pretty torn between everything at the moment

I too currently live in Atlanta but will be moving soon to Abu Dhabi?  I had my interview in NYC earlier this month.  Now Im just waiting for all of my documents to be authenticated and for my background check to to clear.

I am NOT looking forward to cleaning out my classroom and putting everything in storage.
:idontagree:

Hello,

I'm just seeing your message. I've been teaching in Abu Dhabi for 3years so I'll try to answer as many questions as possible. 

Yes most all schools are going being updated. Many are being rebuilt but that will take some time. This year almost all schools received Epson projectors along with smart board technology.

How remote is the western region? I've lived in one of the more remote locations in the Western Region for 3 years. I'm closer to Saudi Arabia than Abu Dhabi city. The closed mall is a little over an hour away and the town I'm in named Ghayathi is still very conservative. It's gotten better since the original 15 ADEC teachers moved out here in 2010. Some parts of the western region aren't as remote, like Madinat Zayed while some places like Delma Island you can only reach via an 1.5 ferry ride or a plane(leaves only from Abu Dhabi city) which you may not always get a seat on. I don't want to scare anyone but of all places Delma is the most remote. The teachers there often get stuck either on the mainland or the island when the ferry isn't running.

Are you well looked after? Paid on time etc?Yes we are paid ontime and if you're out in the west you'll have a stipend. We also receive yearly airfare home which you can choose to save or spend.

Is it worth it? This question is very difficult to answer. For me it has been worth it 'cause I've always wanted to travel and while being here I've been able to travel very freely.
I'll caution that people generally come and become trapped my the glitz forgetting that although our salary package is great we're not rolling in the dough. Also you must have patience and until you've been here you'll not know your baseline level of patience. Whatever it is you'll gain MORE being here or you'll fail.

Are teachers happy there? Again this depends on their personal experience. I've been happy here because I'm a simple and independent person. Also because the staff at my school, both Arabic and English, are wonderful. I mean we function like a family-have breakfast together, argue about complete nonsense at times, hang out at each other's homes ect. The ladies I work with are very hard working, open and accepting of new people and ideas. We share core values that makes working together wonderful. We've had some of the most stimulating professional conversations. Now I'm leaving to have a new adventure in Africa and I'm so sad. Now with all that said it's still been challenging at times. However this is MY personal experience and I've had friends who have hated it and left after one year.

Insomnia11 wrote:

Hello everyone

I know there are a few threads on here about Abu Dhabi public schools but I would like some clarification if anyone is there at the moment?

How remote is the western region?

Are you well looked after? Paid on time etc?

Is it worth it?

Are teachers happy there?

I would appreciate any answers on these!!

That was really helpful thanks. Sounds like you liked th western region if you stayed so long? I'm hoping to go with an open mind and try embrace whatever happens!

Hey everyone,

I teach in the public schools in AD, and I totally understand what it's like to have so many questions! Feel free to PM me if you want to chat (I'll give you my e-mail) or if you have questions.

:)

Hello:

I too will be going to Abu Dhabi in August. Currently in North Carolina and would love to compare notes. Please contact me at-
[email protected]          I am very concerned with the seemingly lack of information on location, curriculum and lesson planning. We don't even know how English proficient our children will be. A little nerve wracking.

Contact me! I look forward to getting to know you!

Barbara Lam

Hello Canada!

I'm leaving for Abu Dhabi in August and would LOVE to chat. My main concern is I cannot seem to find info online about the curriculum and sample lesson plans, etc. I have never felt so unprepared. I don't even know how English proficient my students will be.

Please contact me with any suggestions/information at:
[email protected]

Any and all will be SOOOOOOOOOOOO appreciated.

Barbara Lam

Hi Barbara,

I'm sure you will soon get some feedback to you post :)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Hi Barbara,

I'll send you an e-mail in a few minutes. We can chat via e-mail - it's probably faster/easier!

Hi, I see your query about the curriculum and proficiency levels. I'm from Ireland and going this August to teach the 14/16 year olds English. Did you happen to get any info about curriculum or levels?

Many thanks.
Philip

Hello Canada!

I just got this in my E-mail and would love to stay in touch.
Have you gotten your travel date or any info for leaving yet? Its a little daunting how everything is done last minute. Do you have any idea what area of the country you will be teaching in? Lots of unanswered questions for sure.

Shoot me an E-mail when you have time.

My name is Barbara and I am currently living in North Carolina, but was raised my whole life in New York.

Looking forward to getting to know all you new Expats out there!

Barbara
[email protected]

Hello Philip:

Sorry for the delayed answer. i just received this thread (?). To answer your question... I will be teaching Middle Grades English (grades 6-9), and feel completely in the dark on this subject. I am not seeming to get answers from anyone who is currently teaching there or has taught. I feel like we are all being sent in blind. Having taught in both New York public schools and in the south- NOBODY walked into a classroom without a curriculum.

Am I the only one who feels this unprepared?

Barbara
[email protected]

Hi Barb,

I e-mailed you but received no response... maybe it went to a junk/spam folder.

The reality of the situation is that there are a lot of unknowns in the situation. Get in touch and I'll try to help you out! :)

Hello Canada!

I have looked for your E-mail and its not there. Let me give you the E-mail address again in case I had a type-o or something. I could REALLY use some pointers from someone who already has experience.

Hoping to connect with you soon!

Barbara
[email protected]

hi everyone!im just new here and im curious about that adec teaching,..i have applied here in abu dhabi w that adec application form in my host school and they said i need to wait for the approval of adec before the job offer,..so how is it done?anybody here who can give me some info? how long it will take before they will process the employment visa and usually how much is the salary.thanks in advance for those who will reply.

Hi:

Best advice is Get A Recruiter.
I used Teach Away and you can go to their site:

teachaway.com

They will give you a wealth of information and pretty much take care of everything for you. They will let you know EXACTLY what to do every step of the way.

But, hurry up! They're going to start flying us out mid August.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

Barbara

Hi!

I am waiting for my visa docs to travel to Abu Dhabi and teach for ADEC. I am a bit worried because of the cost of private schools as I have 3 boys, ages 6, 9, and 12. I am not so sure if it would be best to homeschool or if anyone knows of affordable private schools with Canadian based curriculum? Also, what activities are there for the kids to do?

Hi!

It is nice to know that a Canadian is in working with ADEC and can provide some insights and advice. I have submitted all docs to the UAE Embassy and I am waiting for approval from ADEC and my contract. I have 3 boys and my husband whom will be staying with me. Can you provide some answers to a few questions?

1. Do you know of any private schools that are AFFORDABLE when considering a salary of 3500 a month and are canadian curriculum based?
2. How long did the process take after you submitted the docs to the UAE Embassy for you to go? Did they give you a notice of your travel date?
3. How did you go about getting a car (is renting affordable?|)
4. How is it????? Can you easily adapt to the lifestyle?
5.How is working with ADEC?
I know I've asked more than a few, I am just nervous and want as much feedback as possible.

All the best to you and I look forward to chatting with you soon!

I second the question about getting a car. Since ADEC does not provide us with transportation to work as many companies do, how do we get there every day without a car? I have looked online and it seems to rent on a short term basis as a tourist the rates are not super high, but cannot seem to find info one either buying or leasing on a long term basis.

Any suggestions?
THANKS!

Also can someone PLEASE give me advise on what to pack, how to pack, how much I can check in at the airport size and weight wise. Like everyone else, I don't know when I am leaving or even where I will be, so HELP!!!!

Thanks Once Again,
Barbara

Barbara
Thanks for the reply. I'm growing philosophical about it. In a way it's a good thing in that expectations may be realistic. In the UK we live in fear of the unrealistic inspectors who you can never please...
P

Hi,
Am I wrong or isn't the money best with ADEC..?
Philip, Ireland

Oh, certainly. Why else would we go and sweat!!!   :D
I just hope the apartments we get have some serious air conditioning. Have you gotten any information on when exactly you leave and luggage restrictions (size and weight?).

Barbara

Organisation is a disaster, schools are nothing more than zoos. students who have been in the prog for 4 years speak no english at all. On the outside the organisation looks polished, it just hides an absolute fiasco. In short, do yourself a favour and stay at home, it is not worth it. I will be disappearing very soon.

There are almost no places in decent private schools for western kids and they are expensive. Do yourself a favour, don't come unless you want to be frustrated with inept organisation, schools more like zoos, unrealistic expectations and non existent communication.

Just an update.
I have been teaching in Abu Dhabi now since only September and am just about done. The conditions we are forced to work under are horrible and humiliating. People RUN from here. RUN!!!  Unless you are desperate beyond belief do NOT come here to work. The money is NOT worth it. You will be abused by your students, admonistators will scream at you in FRONT of your students. You will be treated worse than worthless, your workload will be unbelievable and you will be lied to by just about everyone from your recruiters to ADEC. You will not get any support except unfollowed-up lip service and if you are as stupid as I was (sold my house, car, everything...), you will be SCREWED. I cannot stay, but cannot go home as I no longer have one.

I thought I had done my homework, but how what goes on in the schools here doesn't get out and we don't know until it is too late- I don't know.

I understand the zoo-like schools and the unsupportive staff, kids unwilling to make any real effort at learning, admin horribly incompetent and just downright disrespectful. But what about TEACHING?

Does admin really want teachers to teach, or just keep things looking good from the outside with good grades?

with conditions like this, how often is it that teacher say "fukk this" and read a news paper?...While kids text and sleep.

Are teachers observed by admin? Danielson review system or something similar?

Who is on admins "good side"? Lazy teachers who stay quiet?

Hello!

I am looking to move to Abu Dhabi with ADEC for the upcoming school year... I was just wondering about the placement. How likely is it that I'll be placed somewhere more lively like Abu Dhabi City, or similar? I am correct in assuming that we will not be told our location before signing the contract? Any advice or input about teaching with an ADEC school would be much appreciated!

Its a crap shoot.
I am a cardiac patient and was OPEN about it and I am in the middle of the desert with completely inadequate health care (really- a cardiologist is at the hospital 1 half day a week. If I have a problem I'm in serious trouble). So go figure. Count on nothing except PROBLEMS.