Move to Abu Dhabi with a 14 yr old - Curriculum of Schools

Hi,
Looking at a move to Abu Dhabi within next 12 months or so with a 14 year old (also have a 10 year old but think they will adjust better to change in curriculum  / school).   Want to get some advice on which school curriculum is best coming from anyone who has moved their kids from an Irish School curriculum to one in Abu Dhabi.  14 year old will probably be doing their Jnr certificate here in ireland first (thats equivalent to GCSE's).  Anyone have similar experience moving a 14 - 15 year old there?
Thanks in advance!

Hi

I moved here with a 16 year old and 11 year old five years ago and enrolled them in The British School Al Khubairat and its has been fantastic. I would throughly recommend the school to new expats but I am not sure how it would work transferring to the British curriculum school from the Irish System.

My daughter is 15 and sitting her GCSE's in the next two months

Hope that helps

Jo

Thank you Jbuae for your recommendation, the Al Khubarait school has also been recommended to me from some other expats and friends.  We are looking into it.  Do you have any knowledge of the Al Yasmina School? That came recommended too in Al Raha area ?
Thank you again

Bernadetti

Hi Bernadetti

My daughter went to Al Yasmina for the first year we were here as BSAK (Al Khubairat) was full in her year group. I prefer BSAK but it's down to personal choice I guess. BSAK is a well established school here with excellent results, Al Yasmina is newer so I moved her and she has never looked back. That was four years ago so Al Yasmina has now been opened its sixth form but I have no experience of that. I live in the Al Raha area but travel into the city to BSAK.

Hope that helps

Best Wishes

Jo

My main concern, having had to consider this process myself, would be how secure is your move? My husband's job seemed very secure, but we came to the conclusion that it was not worth moving our son from his school in The UK to one in The UAE. That is personal choice and we feel our son's school is particularly good, he was doing very well and was very settled. It's a big ask of a teenager and a particularly difficult time to move them (unless you or they are unhappy about their Irish school situation!) After a year my husband's position ended suddenly. Perhaps you know the Middle East well and are conversant with always having to expect the unexpected. Perhaps you know that your situation is absolutely secure, if not how would you feel if, at the same time as your employment ending, you had to move your children again, to another country or back home, often with little notice? We were so glad that we had remained in the UK and spent school holidays in the UAE as my husband has now moved on to a different job in another country but our teenager is still settled and doing very well at school.