Accommodation

hi i moved to riyadh six months ago with my husbands job.the university accommodation they promised us hasn't materialised yet instead we have been put in accommodations which they call a compound but comprises of blocks of flats with a common basement where kids play around the cars,a gym where nothing works and a pool which is big enough to be a fish pond.once outside the front door restrictions start so i can't venture out alone.there is nothing for us to do.we r british but haven't been placed with british expats.security wise we have one security guard for seven block of flats.we have tried through proper channels to seek alternative accommodation but told nothing available.seriously considering moving back unless we can move. Any suggestions will be most welcome!

Will they give you a housing allowance and if so, how much?  (I already know it's not going to be nearly enough for you to get a place in a decent compound so I guess the question is, how much would you have to add to the allowance from his salary and is the job then worth being here?).