Looking to meet new people

Hello,
I'm arriving in Riyadh in a couple of weeks.  I'm going to be living at the Arabian Homes compound. 

I grew up in England but have been living and working in the US for the last 20+ years.  I enjoy staying  fit / crossfit, hiking, eating, photography, culture, travel, movies, diving, golf, kitesurfing.   I'm single so will be arriving not knowing a soul, so If anyone would be interested in becoming friends / showing me around please let me know. 

Scott

Hi Scott!

Meanwhile your post has been moved to the Riyadh forum for better visibility.

Regards
Armand

Hi Scott :)
Welcome to riyadh
I will send you my info you just contact me when you get here :) I will show you around and you have to come visit me in my family house for dinner it's our culture you should get use to it from now on lol I know it's wired if someone invite you without even know you but in saudi cultur it's normal to insist to have new ppl in our houses :)
Again welcome to the kingdome hope you enjoy your stay

have a nice stay here in the kingdoe

Hi scott,
If possible then get urself married before coming here. Its better to bring ur soulmate otherwise after 5-6 months of stay in KSA, you may feel jolts of boredom and unsolvable desperation

malisohail wrote:

Hi scott,
If possible then get urself married before coming here. Its better to bring ur soulmate otherwise after 5-6 months of stay in KSA, you may feel jolts of boredom and unsolvable desperation

That's a helluva reason to just run out and get married! :lol:

Alliecat wrote:

That's one of my regrets.
I ridiculed the idea of nuptial before coming here…… and now after two years I m getting nuts :)

Sometimes I just feel like putting a poster on a rear mirror of my car stating "Single and available, Fully loaded and still have some warranty,.......Please contact on xyz (seeing is believing)" :p :D

malisohail wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

That's one of my regrets.
I ridiculed the idea of nuptial before coming here…… and now after two years I m getting nuts :)

Sometimes I just feel like putting a poster on a rare mirror of my car stating "Single and available, Fully loaded and still have some warranty,.......Please contact on xyz (seeing is believing)" :p :D

I agree that life here would be INFINITELY easier for me if I were married... but .. is that a reason to just get married?  I mean, if you love somebody, sure.  But to get married to lessen the boredom??  Nooooooooooo.  I'd rather be bored than chance being in a bad marriage.  Trust me on this one ;)

Alliecat wrote:

I agree that life here would be INFINITELY easier for me if I were married... but .. is that a reason to just get married?  I mean, if you love somebody, sure.  But to get married to lessen the boredom??  Nooooooooooo.  I'd rather be bored than chance being in a bad marriage.  Trust me on this one ;)

Agreed, probably that's the prime reason that I m still single.
But adding to the grim details, no one even gets slightest of a chance to find a love in KSA or at least do a bit of a decent mingling.

I won't even think of it if there had been a cinema, theme park for adults or an accredited university for part time international MBA in Riyadh. 

I had been trying to find a space in coffee mornings so that i can spend some 2-3 hours of my weekend in doing something useless yet unusual but invain :)

malisohail wrote:

I had been trying to find a space in coffee mornings so that i can spend some 2-3 hours of my weekend in doing something useless yet unusual but invain :)

Ha!  I even tried to find some kind of volunteer work that would be useFUL to do for a few hours on weekends and, as you, my efforts were in vain.

Thanks for the replies..  and laughs,  good to meet you all.  If nothing else at least you've all maintained a sense of humor.   In response to the suggestion of spontaneously entering into matrimony in the next two weeks; sounds like a great idea and one thats much appreciated so thanks very much.   I'll see what I can put together over the next couple of weeks.  Please don't hold back with any additional help or suggestions. 

Scott

scottshi2012 wrote:

In response to the suggestion of spontaneously entering into matrimony in the next two weeks; sounds like a great idea and one thats much appreciated so thanks very much.   I'll see what I can put together over the next couple of weeks.

:one

Let's hope your proposal is better than, "Hey, I'm moving to Riyadh and don't want to be bored so let's get hitched."  lol

runnertattoogirl wrote:

Let's hope your proposal is better than, "Hey, I'm moving to Riyadh and don't want to be bored so let's get hitched."  lol

Well darn - you stole my line!!  Haha

Welcome (soon) to the Magic Kingdom, Scott.

Im really liking the direction this is going and I've taken your advice to heart.   With the notion that time is precious and using the suggested line I've been busy texting that question to various contacts all day.

So far no takers.. but I'm sure the right someone will .... soon.

Mr Houstonian,

A Texas size "Thank You Sir",   Its good to be ..almost there..

Haha - it is bigger (not always better) in Texas!!  Ok ok - I realize the folks from AK will have something to say about it ..

loads of laughs :lol:

welcome to the desert land. . . erm i mean the Kingdom Scott :P

Salman

definitely agree that Saudi is not so interesting for single people. if you can get that marriage idea going then yeh, this place is built for families. getting married here is another story anyways you gonna find some good friends to hang out with but the best friend got to be a wife here

Welcome to ksa and wish that you will enjoy it. We can defiantly hang out and if you speak German it will be great to practice german with you :)

scottshi2012 wrote:

Im really liking the direction this is going and I've taken your advice to heart.   With the notion that time is precious and using the suggested line I've been busy texting that question to various contacts all day.

So far no takers.. but I'm sure the right someone will .... soon.

And here I thought it was fool proof!  I think as long as you get out and find stuff to do, you'll be perfectly fine.  If not you can always troll the EB boards and find a laugh that way ;)

Houstonian wrote:

Well darn - you stole my line!!  Haha

And I suppose you will just have to be more creative next time.  lol :P

imraan007 wrote:

but the best friend got to be a wife here

ahem... or a husband :P

lol...emmmm single life sucks hey...thats why got to meet new ppl. and make a little trouble.

Alliecat

got ya , hands up !!

very interesting advice ! i bet you starting to believe in it as well . ;)

Welcome to the kingdom of Humanity. Since I been here long time, I can say that Saudi Arabia is a great place to live in. If you need any help, send me a message with your contact once you arrive and will help you as much as I can.

Wail

Riyadh Networker wrote:

Welcome to the kingdom of Humanity. Since I been here long time, I can say that Saudi Arabia is a great place to live in. If you need any help, send me a message with your contact once you arrive and will help you as much as I can.

Wail

Why don't you just help people here, like the rest of us, instead of trying to steer them away from the forum?  That way other people can also get the benefit of your help and advice :)

Hitch wrote:

Alliecat

got ya , hands up !!

Obviously not since I'm still single :lol:

Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:

Alliecat

got ya , hands up !!

ummm than why are you talking about it ??

0.o are you looking for some one ? starting with h lol

Hitch wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:

Alliecat

got ya , hands up !!

hmmmmm.. are you saying you're available? :whistle:

Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

wow , three hits on the face you are out :):rolleyes: could be !

serious help is needed...so many singles,lol, they are just everywhere. ur not safe anymore...kidding
this thread "meeting new people" ...whose brave enough to do it anyway?
so much talk. who would be brave enough?

oops..looking at the two of you :cool:

Hitch wrote:

wow , three hits on the face you are out :)

:dumbom:

(it seems you have forgotten about the hammer!)

Hmmm...   

Um....anyone have the local pet adoption contact info ?

Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:
Alliecat wrote:

I feel like I need to break out the popcorn and sit back for the show.. :lol:

Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:

wow , three hits on the face you are out :)

:dumbom:

(it seems you have forgotten about the hammer!)

:mad:

I KNEW IT MY HEAD HURTS NOW ,

:|

runnertattoogirl wrote:
Alliecat wrote:
Hitch wrote:

I feel like I need to break out the popcorn and sit back for the show.. :lol:

ummm feel free , but pay to allie for the show :rolleyes:

scottshi2012 wrote:

Hmmm...   

i m not sure if you are willing to buy or adopt :P

if you are willing to buy there are plenty of them specially in malaz area

scottshi2012 wrote:

Hmmm...   

This website might be of interest to you.  http://openpaws.org/index.html

Never buy a pet here.  Adopt and openpaws is the place to do it.  My friend got a kitty there and has been very happy with it.

OR... you could adopt a young street cat  :)