Relocating to Sofia

Greetings,

I am Canadian, and looking to relocate in around 2 months less...
Wanted to know the ropes that needed to be achieved and what abouts jobs - rent - finding a place - papers - etc.

Canadian passport is all I have.

Thank you for informing me
I will be staying in Sofia.

Warm Regards,
Germain

Canadian - http://bulgaria.visahq.com/requirements … -Bulgaria/

Jobs, from what I've heard, you have little or no chance. Most people in the city speak Bulgarian/English, so they have a head start.

Mirela.bg is a good place to start to give you contacts when you land, but personally, I'm booking a hotel for a few nights as I can't read Bulgarian and assume there might be someone who knows someone that can offer something decent.

I'll be there on the 18th so if anyone wants me to find anything out for them or has questions from then on, PM me.

Hello Germain.

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Sofia forum. :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

Thank you very much Aurélie :)

Alex77777 not to be rude, cocky, but  I already refused a job a week ago because its starting to early, so I dont think this is the case, I speak English French Arabic, and from what I understand yes most speak english but not all are completely fluent aswell, there must be a way to be able to 1. get a job there without breaking your head, that's also decent in salary,  just not the bare minimum.

Thank you for the interest in trying to direct me.

Regards,
Germain

I didn't notice that link alex, thank you for your time:) I am staying for a long time... imlookingfor years if not .xx time.

I'm wondering do i do a visa here prior to going to BG or i apply later for something else... wouldnt know what's the smartest way to go aroundthis. I know also if I get married wouldntneed the 90+ days information stuff,as there was a section I read that then I should apply to something else while I'm there.

anyways,

I do appreciate the time taken for me :)

Regards,
Germain

Try getting a job in some of the call centres. They prefer native English speakers and you can make friends with all the Bulgarians that live there and speak your language. You can try Call Point, 60k and other such companies. The salaries there are also better than average Bulgarian salary. Of course, if you prefer a more fancy job, that does not require you to speak Bulgarian, I'm sure there would be no problem obtaining it.

You will need a visa to live and work there.

What makes you want to live in Bulgaria?

Hi Pumpkinpie,

I'm moving because  I want to be close to my fiance, and Ihave no problem coming to bg I loved it.People may say that it's 3rd world... 1. completely wrong and those people don't know anything about bulgaria.  Bulgaria has a great future and Sofia, everything you do, is in proximity by foot - amazing. Nothing like that in All canada, states, and most of France. I can't wait to have me some kebapches:) or chopska :)  - Life is simple... it's what you make it of it that may seem it's hard.

So I understand I need Visa - Hope it's not long to do like France's (took me 1day). Voila,

I wouldn't say it is a 3rd world country, but it is not exactly a developed one either. My husband who is Swiss liked it from the beginning too. After living a year there he still likes it. It is a puzzling thing for me. Not that I don't love my country, but it is not exactly easy to live there.

Oh I do miss a good kebapche :) I wish you good luck with your relocation and wedding!

To be honest  pumpkin, it's about the lifestyle, very similiar to lebanese (just more educated) this how my fiance made me notice, and she is correct. Aswell, the country is not miles a part, by that I mean, look at sofia, you can walk everywhere practicly within 20 mins your there; that's pretty good. I also know that your english / french school are good too, as teachers need to win contests to teach in BG private schools, thus 'class' teaching. and want to travel no problem.. cities, countries, ground or air, your there. Not expensive too. Yes local salaries are proportional to the lifestyle expenses, but who said you have to be paid minimum wage. This is why I'm also building websites on the side, I have 1 and now building a blog to go with it. Life teaches you a lot when you get out... and me going to BG was the best thing ever happened to me.   Cheers!

20 minutes in Sofia? Your fiancé does not live in the suburbs apparently. Only the beautiful part of the centre is walkable like that. Well it does get better with the subway these days.

But yes, the lifestyle is different. Bulgarians count on their families and friends more and that is something I miss here.

And of course, emerging in a new culture can only enrich you and help you appreciate what you have even more. I am doing this myself by living abroad. I'm sure going to Bulgaria was the best thing ever happened to you, since your fiancé is there :)

Nazdrave (cheers in Bulgarian)

Dobre dobre, nazdrave !   You may be right about the suburbs, well my cousins use to live there, so I Was 15 mins walk from ccs, and fiance was about 10 mins from there. and then I Was at lozenetz other side of bg by varna I think, was there for a week on the beach, and saw upsurt :P I heard from them 5 years ago, cousin use to make me listen to them, crazy world. I'll be honest, some stuff dont ever make sense on how they add up, so I had me some great pawachikas :) some amazing kebapches abd kuftes... I abused really... and your fast food is 10x better than france's. Great food, Great people, Great Distance(good sports)NOT THAT Cold.. not like montreal... having a blizzard and -20.. is NICE!   anyways... soon!!!