On the move again

Hi Guys, I have been an expat since birth, lived in Malawi, Serria leonne, Hong kong, Europe with british parents. Ive been in the UK for the last few years running a biz which i have just sold. I have no wish to stay in the UK or Europe for obvious reasons, so looking for somewhere new to go, preferably a country thats doing well and has a good expat community, any help here would be great. I would be looking to start a business, probably in catering, bar, cafe , restaurant hotel or tourism etc

Bali is full so I suspect Thailand or some such place.
You could always try one of the bigger Chinese cities if visas are available.

Chinese visas are easy to get to start a business...

if you have a lot of money to spend.

Colombia might be a good alternative for what u have in mind.

Hello expatbrat,

You could also try sunny Dubai :)

Thanks for the replies, looks like Asia or Dubai, must admit I think i already new that, before i posted. looks like ill be taking a long holiday and paying them all a visit and see what comes up.

so many expat here in cambodia.. easy to have a visa and business..

Brazil is presently a good bet if you're looking to start up a business in the hospitality industry.

The World Cup is scheduled for 2014 and the Summer Olympic Games for 2016 in Rio. Anybody connected with the hospitality industry will make a bundle during these events.

An Investor Visa is an almost guaranteed way of obtaining permanency in Brazil, the Ministry of Labor is under pressure from the Brazilian government to approve all applications where the paperwork is in order. There is virtually no checking on the kind of business you plan to set up and there really are no restrictions other than the initial investment cannot be repatriated or you can't renew the visa.

The minimum investment reqired is R$150.000 BRL or roughly R$74,000 USD, £45,300 GBP.

The Brazilian economy is growing slowly but steadily every year. Brazil has suffered very little effects from the US Sub-Prime Crisis and the European Credit Crisis and for this reason many from the UK and Eurozone countries are flocking here.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

I would say Brazil for the reasons that WJ posted, or China for the thriving expat communities -- especially in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

Hong Kong is a terrible place to start a restaurant or bar.  Unless you want to go out of business next week like most of them.

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR