Marry my Brazilian partner : Formalities

Hi, I was born and raised in the UK but my partner is a Brazilian national. We have a 7 month old and plan to return to his country to live. We do plan to marry but I need to know how it will work like Visas, and if I marry him do I automatically receive a Brazilian passport? Any info would be great. Here's my email [email protected]
Thanks x

Hello Rebeccawestgate.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Brazil forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi Rebecca,

First of all no, you won't receive a Brazilian passport since you need to be a naturalized citizen for that.

If you get married to your Brazilian partner you have two options, you can marry in the UK, register the marriage with the Brazilian Consulate and apply for a permanent visa there and wait it out before coming to Brazil together.

The other option is to get all the documents you need in order to get married in Brazil ready, apply for a tourist visa and then come to Brazil and get married here. Once you apply for a permanent visa then you are permitted to remain in Brazil and obtain a work permit should you wish to work.

If you have not already done so, you should contact the Brazilian Consulate nearest you to find out about registering the birth of your child with them. Your child is considered Brazilian by law here (Jus Sanguinis) since the child has one Brazilian parent. You need to register the birth.

This presents a third option once you've registered the birth. You come to Brazil on a tourist visa and immediately apply for a permanent visa upon arrival (com base em prole brasileiro(a)) based on your Brazilian child. Once the application is accepted you can remain in Brazil and work too.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team