Ho Chi Minh Crime Districts/Areas?

Hi,

I'm starting to get settled in Ho Chi Minh City.  I want to know which areas in the city are most known for crime (bag snatches, thieves, robberies, homicides).  I heard District 4 is, and I have seen many reports from Binh Thanh District.  Are there any particular areas deemed unsafe to travel to, particularly at night?

The presence of tourists / Foreigners attracts the criminal element. As does flaunting computer bags, watches and smartphones.

Many of the mainly VNese or Chinese occupied areas are safe, although there are snatch and run thefts there.

Safety is often determined by motorcycle access. There have been a few cases where motorcycles have been driven into premises, such as restaurants, where patrons have been robbed.

As for travel safety, it's pretty well as much as any country. Entertainment / bar areas at the end of their day, dimly lit areas. Some pick-pockets have strange practices: they approach you with arms outstretched then, relying on the principle that most Foreigners don't hit females, try to get at your pockets.

The best defence is to rip their blouse / bra (tough things those) using Chinese police techniques.

Never take motorcycle rides from strangers, either, they might be girlieboys.

Walking on sidewalks, close to buildings, is safest; dodging into doorways / stores offers protection.

Don't expect locals to come to your aid, unless there are  extreme or special circunstances!

Megastar Theater at the Crescent Mall. If a female movie goer leaves her bag underneath her seat, be cautious that someone will rob it. Someone would crawl through the seats and steal the insides.