Moving to Nairobi from Delhi

Hi Everyone,

I have been offered a position of a General Manager with one of the large retail chains in Kenya. I will be based out of Nairobi. I am going to have my salary negotiations with them on 25th of Nov 12'.I am Married with 2 kids aged 9 Girl and 5 Boy.   

I would like some advise on what should be a decent salary there and what should i keep in mind while negotiating with my prospective employer on things like Housing, food, car, medical facilities, schooling for the kids, return tickets to India(How many times in how many years etc) Basically please tell me what all i should know and talk about.

Appreciate a reply soon.

Thanks Sanju

Hi,

I may suggest some figures (above average level):

Housing: $.1,800.00 (Ksh.150,000.00)
Food: $.450.00 (Ksh.35,000.00)
Car: $.600.00 (Ksh.50,000.00); it includes instalment & petrol
Medical insurance cover should be arranged by the employer
Schooling: $.700.00 (Ksh.60,000.00)

These are monthly expenses; USD/KSH is 85.

There should be at-least one return ticket (Nairobi-India-Nairobi).

All the best!

Kashif

Thank for you reply Kashif.....

Can you let me know if the housing/Car/Insurance is taken care off what should be the USD salary monthly and also a sustainence allowance in local currency...Thanks

Hi welcome to kenya, i would get back to you with info soon.

[Moderated]

Hi. from the legal point of view, i usually advice clients to go for an interview knowing what exactly they are bringing to the table for the employer. exaggerate your worth and value to the employer and then quote a high figure. never value yourself cheaply. create value then price yourself. also carry with you a past contract indicating u used to be paid higher than even what the company is giving you if they tell you to take less, create guilt in their minds and they will give you more.
regards and all the best.