Pls help me frndz...Got an offer frm Nairobi...

Dear All

I hv been offered a job as de Principal of one of de leading GCSE schools in Nairobi on a salary of USD 7000 per month, child's free education, health insurance for self and family, return tkts to Mumbai for self and family every 2 yrs. Pls let me know:
1. if this salary is enough not just to survive in Nairobi wid wife and a son aged 10 but also to save at least USD 3500 per month,
2. if we will get typical Indian vegetables,
3. if any Indian TV channels are available,
4. wht's de kind of rent i hv to pay for a decent 2 bed-room fully furnished house/flat in a gud, safe locality,
5. if quality health care services, especially for diabetes is available.
6. wht r de facilities for entertainment
7. above all, wht's de situation of safety n security thr...
Also, it will be nice to knw de average cost of electricity n water that may be incurred a month.

I request all to help me out as I hv to make a decision really fast

JP

there good health care from private hospitals such as nairobi,mater and mp shah hospitals.the rent will depend with the location of the school ur posted u should rent the house nearby the school.there indian communities in nairobi for example parklands,westlands andsouth c.there are yoga classes,gym and cinemas in the city.the salary you are paid can sustain you and you be left with some as savings.

Hi, that salary is more than enough!!! My salary is half and i managed to rent a huge house, you will love it! Indian food is extremely common here, since a lot of Indians live here, you can also find good cooks that specialize in indian food. Moreover, house maids are very affordable, you can look for workers, cooks, housekeepers at bulletin boards in Sarit Centre or Westgate. TV channels from India are also available.
Actually, 2br houses are not common in Nairobi, houses (like mine)are 4 to 5 bedroom, the average rent is between 120,000 to 150,000, which is 1800 dollars monthly. AS i told you, with a salary of 4000 dls a month, i can afford that, so you will be more than happy in your new life here. If you need a broker to help u find a house i can refer you to one.
Best,
Ingrid

Hello jaypee25 and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will advise you.

Good luck,
Harmonie.

that salary is all fine to live in kenya and dont worry,you will get soo many indians here in kenya and their foods too.welcom

dear all,
your salary is plenty. a flat will cost you 1000 or so, domestic 250, indian grocery cheap,indian and international schools very expensive but good. healthcare at european level, but better price. security fairly good, but take a course, petty crime annoying but not bad. walking limited, indian social life fine, but do not expect much mixing with white or black,rapoe risk for young girls is real

I can help you with all your issues about Kenya.

Hello JP,
I am also from India, and will be stationed at Nairobi for 3 years. $7000 is good enough. Even if you would not have the kids education package, its good. Not sure if you can save $3500. I get around $12,6000 and have been able to save around $4500 per month. Maybe I over spend. Rest, beautiful place, people are very good and cooperative. You do get all Indian stuff here, be it veg, or cooked food. Initially I used to get food from one of the Indian families who delivers at your home / hotel at very reasonable rate (400ksh, 200 INR) The quantity is good enough for 2 people. Phone calls to India are very cheap, 2INR / min if you call an Airtel number.
I work for an MNC which has always given me an opportunity to mix with people across ethnicity all over the world, and I am sure that is not an issue at Nairobi.
Every place has an issue, its how you keep yourself and family safe by being smart and careful.

biswasan wrote:

Hello JP,
I am also from India, and will be stationed at Nairobi for 3 years. $7000 is good enough. Even if you would not have the kids education package, its good. Not sure if you can save $3500. I get around $12,6000 and have been able to save around $4500 per month. Maybe I over spend.

Since JP intends to bring his family along, I imagine that he would cook food at home, which should reduce his expenses substantially.

By the way, Biswasan, could you please message me with the reference of the family from where you used to get Indian food. I may need the same shortly.

my husband has got an offer from Nairobi based pahrma company..the slary which they are offering after tax deduction come to 3500$..we are a family of three with an infant daughter..will it be sufficient to live a good life in nairobi..i will be cooking at home except for weekends..planning to rent a house in parklands/westlands for 700-800$...pls advise

i have read eugene's post and have found them useful..

Hi Mayuriw,
Getting furnished house in 800USD is difficult, But yes unfurnished you can get in 700USD (3BHK). and yes things are costly here, 3500USD net is comfortable if your expenses is not very high.

Hi Friends,

I got job oofer from Nairobi, I am single, my age is 26 & Indian.

Company is offering me 2000 US $ per/mth is my inhand salary after deducting taxes.

They are giving me furnished accomdation+ Transport for office & personal use, medical, mobile etc.

Pls tell me should I accept this offer or not @ hwz the Nairobi is the place.

Dear JP,

I have been there for over a year and again planning to go back..trying to answer pointwise;

1. if this salary is enough not just to survive in Nairobi wid wife and a son aged 10 but also to save at least USD 3500 per month, (it is enough and you can easily save much more than that)

2. if we will get typical Indian vegetables,(normally you will get all Indian vegetables excluding a few, but the prices are 3 times than India)

3. if any Indian TV channels are available,(Mostly all the channels are available)

4. wht's de kind of rent i hv to pay for a decent 2 bed-room fully furnished house/flat in a gud, safe locality,(Indians mostly stay in Parklands/Westlands area and you should get a furnished accomodation, 2 bedroom...within $1400)

5. if quality health care services, especially for diabetes is available.(here lies the major issue...quality of health service is not developed as in India, anything major should be treated outside..probably in India, although I am not sure about diabetes specially...it is also very very costly and one need to buy an insurance otherwise you can easily go bankrupt and insurance are costly too)

6. wht r de facilities for entertainment (nothing except Malls/cinema...nightclubs are there but risky for unknown guys, you may also visit the national parks...famous wild life etc.)

7. above all, wht's de situation of safety n security thr...
Also, it will be nice to knw de average cost of electricity n water that may be incurred a month. (safety has now improved...but again not sensible to go out at night/specially down town areas and always have to use a car to travel, local buses called matatoos are very very risky...have to be cautious all the time.....electricity for 2 bedroom should be around $40 per month/ water meter can be same depending on the usage...)

Tried to clarify all the points, not being bias...though I liked the weather/food and most importantly money...:-)

Let me now if you are shifting, I may shift by end of next month...shall catch up!

Thanks and Regards,

Sumit

@ Malhotra- please start a new topic on the Nairobi forum.

----------

Welcome to Expat.com jaypee25!

I wish you good luck. :)

dear frndz

1.pls let me know hw far is oshwal academy from parklands?
2. hw much does a used car (merz or bmw) in gud condition cost in nairobi?

All that you will get coz we have lots of Indians (good and bad ones)here around parklands westlands and Ngara area.

I dont know where the school is but u can bank on you rent being not less than 1500USD for an average neighbourhood.

We have stores everywhere and malls mostly owned by Indians who interact freely with the locals.

othewise karibu ( welcome) to kenya.