Moving from London to work in Nairobi for 6 months...

...and have never visited before :)

I'm heading out on the 12th December to sort out some living quarters and to try and find out where to live and play. My office is in Westlands so I'd love some tips on the best places to live which are a commutable distance.

Most importantly I love people and I know no-one in Kenya...yes...I am scouting friends :) I'd love tips and advice on the best places to meet people and best things to do in Nairobi.

Thanks in advance.

Gem

Welcome u will found it a very nice place.
You prefrance shld be westland to live

Hi Gemsylucy,

Greetings from Kenya.

I have a room to let just incase you would be interested.  The area is close to Westlands via James Gichuru road.

https://www.expat.com/en/classified/afr … tment.html

Thanks.

Valley Arcade area is nice, but I would hardly describe it as being close to Westlands and the route to/from your office gets VERY congested, due to the several large schools.  This would lead to you spending a long time commuting, which I am sure you wouldn't want. 

I would recommend that you look for accommodation in Westlands, simply due to the regular traffic gridlock that Nairobi experiences.  It is difficult to advise if I dont know your budget. 

Westlands has plenty of bars and clubs, decent shopping and cinema. 

Please browse through the forum topics for advice on personal safety in Nairobi.  Its very important, to reduce the risk of your stay ending in tears.........or worse!

Well, Westlands would make a lot of sense as the place to live if its where you're offices are located, there are nice houses there, places to shop, hang out... plus I know just the people to help you out when it comes to how and where to live and play in Nairobi :-)

Hi Ms Gem, welcome to nairobi, you would sure have fun if you really searching for friends. Some people just leave some msg saying looking for friends and never try to contact hahaha.... hope you find many many many friends... westlands is a nice place... hope you have fun... but be safe toooooo.....

Hi Gemsy,I would a advice westlands or kilimani,however it also depends the size of the house you want,i can always find you a one bedroom apartment fully furnished

Thanks so much for all your messages - with all this advice it sounds like I should definitely go for Westlands! And that I should be sensible and safe too so I'll be making sure that's the case. I'm heading out for a visit next week before moving over in January - look forward to hopefully meeting some of you then :)

welcome to nairobi.... have a safe journey...

Hi Gem...
Nairobi is fun, come witness.Looking forward to being buddies:)

welcome to Kenya in advance

the easiest way to get a house is to inquire for it at porperty companies in nairobi here are a few to search from

propertylinkafrica.com
karengata.com
realcom.co.ke
fit-property.com
langattalink.com

good luck for any more help around Nairobi and touring social spots email me

Hi Gem,

Welcome to the sunny side.....:D

I live in westlands myself,around church rd..so dont you worry gettin a place to stay is not too hard.I have a couple of friends living nearby jus along church Rd. also who are here for internships so im sure u'll be ok.

There also plenty of pubs,restaurants and places to unwind so give me a ring or send an email if you need any help locating anything in westlands...otherwise it'll be a fun experience:)

yes westlands is the best place for you to live
most welcome to nairobi
enjoy your stay here

Wel come to Nairobi.Westland is busy area.

Hi, welcome to Kenya! Hope it's been good to you so far. You can check out my profile and if i'm someone you'd like to get to know write back! :)

Karibu Kenya

hi, there is one place to live named taarifa suites on ojijo road parklands 5 mins from westlands..they have 1BHK,studio or 2 BHK apartments fully furnished.. give it atry

thanks.
bye
anju

Gemsylucy wrote:

...and have never visited before :)

I'm heading out on the 12th December to sort out some living quarters and to try and find out where to live and play. My office is in Westlands so I'd love some tips on the best places to live which are a commutable distance.

Most importantly I love people and I know no-one in Kenya...yes...I am scouting friends :) I'd love tips and advice on the best places to meet people and best things to do in Nairobi.

Thanks in advance.

Gem

Happy New year Gemsy,I do hope you are having a lovely time in Kenya,enjoying the hot sun!have you gotten the house you are looking for?if not you can get in touch,I would be happy to make friends,regards Roger