Moving to Nairobi from Canada to be with Partner! anyone else?

Hello all.  I am currently in ontario canada and planning a move to nairobi in the near future to be with my man.  He lived here for several years and his visa expired a few short months ago and to our devastation, he returned to Kenya.  We feel it will take some time before he will be able to return to Canada so we've made a decision for me and my daughter to move there in the mean time, rather than be apart.  I'm very happy with our decision and am of course counting down the moments until i'm over there with him, but i've never been outside of Canada in my life and i'm admittedly a little bit nervous.  i was wondering if perhaps you or someone you may know have been through this process and if so, can you offer me some advice as well as tell me how your situation worked for you.  I'd be very interested also to speak about possible nursing careers in Nairobi.  Thanks. Sue.

Hello suelpn and welcome to Expat.com!

I hope that other members will advise you and share their experience with you soon.

Good luck,
Harmonie.:)

Hi,

Yes I did the same as you.  I met my wife in the UK and married there.  She had to return to Kenya on health grounds in 2004.  The decision was made quickly and so there was little time too think too much about it, especially as we were busy packing and arranging shipping.  My Wife went to Kenya before me and arranged accommodation etc.

I managed to arrange a one year multi entry visa for entering Kenya.  This visa does not permit working.

Finding work was a different story though.  Lots of promises of help with a work permit and jobs, but nothing materialised.  Iam an OT and finding work in Kenya is very difficult.  The registration process requires a years internship at a government hospital - this may be similar for nursing.  There are plenty of health professionals in Kenya and work permits are particularly granted where there are skills shortages.  I have therefore been spending a few months each year working in the UK.

The new constitution should make things a little easier for foreign partners of Kenyans.  I am not sure how the law affects you if you are not married though.

We ended up starting our own business and investing in land and property - that and the new constitution means that I can soon settle in Kenya full time.

I love the country though and don't regret anything that we did.

wow thanks so much for giving me hope and the helpful info on work shortages as well, i am now thinking i will need income set up to be coming to me from home before going over there

That option is most definitely worth serious consideration.  Nairobi is not a cheap city.

Starting your own business is also an option - easier with a Kenyan partner.  Research it well and avoid doing something that a lot of people are already doing.  Give it time.

Good luck.

thanks so much

Hi Suelpn,

I am from Montreal...so close to you! I am in almost the exact same position. I will be moving to Kenya (Nairobi) to be with my boyfriend. I should be leaving in December...trying to arrange everything from here is difficult! I'm an Engineer so was hoping to get some work over there and have been looking into a work Visa. I was there last year for a few weeks so I know a little bit of what to expect. Let me know how you are doing!

oh wow...i was also planning on going in december.  im starting to get discouraged though:(  it seems there are no jobs over there for nurses...and i was looking into becoming certified to teach ESL but now im just at a standstill.  tell me, does ur bf have work over there?  has he been to canada before?

Hi there,

Yes...he has been here for 7 years or so...he really misses it so that's why we were going back for a bit. He is starting up a company, whih might be stressful to begin with so I really wanted to secure a job before going over, but it seems like it might be hard. I was going to start my own question to see if anyone had worked as an engineer from canada or the states to see what it's like??? Staying positive for now! If you don't secure work are you still thinking about going?