Car ownership costs besides fuel and repairs?

Hi,

I'm a fresh expat in Malta considering buying a used car so I'm wondering if anyone can give me the rundown of the costs involved. Such as (but not limited to):

- vehicle road test
- insurance
- license (I have my driving license from Croatia, but is some other needed?)
- registration
- ?

If you don't know all the costs at least write those you know please. Thanks.

vehicle road test - about € 25 every 2 years

insurance - from € 100 to € 1000

annual road tax - from € 100 to € 1000's

GnG isnt the VRT (MOT) going to change to annually soon..!rather than the present two years...not sure when tho

thats the plan, also VRT for motorbikes, but not seen a timetable

will that also includes those "putt-putt" bikes with motors on them

I'm not even sure they are legal - they have no number plate, so insurance, road tax

hmm thats what i suspected.....

georgeingozo wrote:

vehicle road test - about € 25 every 2 years

insurance - from € 100 to € 1000

annual road tax - from € 100 to € 1000's

Thanks George!

The ranges... does it depend on car age or car price/worth?

Is there some sort of online calculator I can use to approximate the costs for buying a 1000 euro Peugeot 106?

theres only one range in Malta "expensive" even cheap cars are expensive here.

Hi Croato,

you can use your Croatian driving license for one year in Malta.

After that you will need a Maltese driving licence to contuinue driving as Croatia is not part of the EU. Then you will probably have to take driving lessons and get a Maltese licence.

As far as I know your driving licence is not exchangable but you should contact ADT for details.

Cheers
Ricky

Croatia is joining the EU next June, isn't it ?

Hi George,

thanks for making me aware of that! As of 1 st July 2013 Croatia should be the next EU member state.

If it stays that way then that should save the driving test and the Croatian driving licence would be valid in Malta until it's expiry date.

Cheers
Ricky

Croato wrote:

Is there some sort of online calculator I can use to approximate the costs for buying a 1000 euro Peugeot 106?

yes, there are tables, and formulas and descriptions (here or here) ... and the fees increase with every year of the car's age ... it's not easy in my opinion.

Depending on the engine size and the age of your 106 the tax will be around 90,- (up to 1300cc) to 120,- (up to 1450cc) and the insurance approx. 120,- (e.g. third party, fire and theft).

The VRT itself may cost only 25,-, but necessary repairs and spare parts can be a little bit higher ;)

Well, if I can do it all for below 500 euros I consider that pretty good. In Croatia insurance alone is 500 euros :(

Thanks for the info matm911!

Tip (but I don't know the exact conditions for this):
Because I had no accidents in Austria and therefore reached the lowest possible premium rate (category 0) a confirmation from my previous insurance was accepted by my insurance here at Malta*) and I received also a 65% discount (on the insurance of course (I started at category 6), not on the road tax) :D

*) btw, how to say it correct:
e.g. The insurance here in Malta / on Malta / at Malta ?
resp. I live in Malta / on Malta / at Malta ?

"I live in Malta / on Malta / at Malta ?", well, one of those things where English is delightfully vague, but roughly speaking

you live at a point or spot
you live on an island
you live in a country

so

you live in Malta, on Gozo, at Portomaso
you live in a house,on a street and at number 6

of course, there are lots of exceptions, but it wouldn't be English without them :-)

Thank you George !

I also take private lessons here at M'Scala to eventually improve my poor English, especially to learn the exact terms and meaning and use of the vocabularies

road tax can be found here

Thanks. Didn't get around getting a car yet. Though one lovely Volvo 480 turbo was in the ads briefly, but disappeared :(

Croato wrote:

Though one lovely Volvo 480 turbo was in the ads briefly, but disappeared :(

It's still there, I also found it even before I came to Malta. The ad is 1,5 yrs. old ... but imho this Volvo is too good for Maltese traffic :/

Markus

Yeah, that's the one!

Very nice car... I owned a Volvo back in Croatia and sold it prior to coming to Malta, would like to own one again.

We'll see. Depends on how my work situation develops, if I decide to stay on or not. Need to check the insurance rates too, haven't done that yet.

The buses get me where I want generally, but it's annoying to be late for work in the morning because one 12,13,15 don't appear for 20 minutes!

A suggestion, you could leave 20 mins earlier, not use a car which adds to the congestion and your own costs?
Get to work earlier, impress your boss or have a cup of coffee :)

I had a 340DL long time ago ... swedish turtle ;-)

Having a "special" car in Malta means you will face a problem getting spare parts ... and ordering online means lots of shipping costs.

Anyhow, with a car you are not much faster during rush hour. And if so, you lose the gain of time while searching a parking lot.

@redmik: Time is relative here: 20mins or 30mins earlier won't help if you have to wait on the bus for 1 hour.

I prefer my scooter, that's the only means of transportation that can hold it's schedule :-)

Markus

matm911 wrote:

Having a "special" car in Malta means you will face a problem getting spare parts ... and ordering online means lots of shipping costs.

Anyhow, with a car you are not much faster during rush hour. And if so, you lose the gain of time while searching a parking lot.

@redmik: Time is relative here: 20mins or 30mins earlier won't help if you have to wait on the bus for 1 hour.

I prefer my scooter, that's the only means of transportation that can hold it's schedule :-)

Markus

i would tend to agree.

matm911 wrote:

Markus

I only said 20 mins as that was the time quoted. Of course the principal still applies.