Looking for a quiet place.

Since my wife and I have made the decision to move to Malta, I was wondering if anybody could recommend a quiet place to settle down?

I heard somebody mention Mellieha, but mayby others have some suggestions?

We are looking for a place not too crowded, or noisy (Im not 18 anymore), and where it will still be possible for me to take a bus to work in St Julians.

I would mention where I live in Birzebbugia but for a bus to St J. It takes about 1hr and half I drive to St J everyday to work but wouldn't move from here is great.

Julian

Hi Guys,

I already have work, so the main thing is finding the right place to settle down.

Since I will be working different hours, I was just thinking that a quiet place might be the best. But then again I dont want it to be totally isolated.

Since I dont know anything about the island, its a bit hard to imagine where the perfect place might be.

I dont mind the traveling time, but it still has to be somewhere with shops, cafe, etc etc

I tried to look at arrivaŽs homepage, but it seems like no matter the distance (close of far from Sliema) the timetable says between 45-57 minutes?? :-D

But I will go there to check out life on the Island on the 23rd of October......maybe that will make it easier to pick a spot

Hi sjippe,

When we were moving here, our first requirement for the rental agent was a quiet place that is also relatively close to commute to the busy areas. He recommended Naxxar. It's central, so it is not far from St. Julians. At the same time it is also not very far from the west coast where all the best beaches are located. It is also close to the National Park and San Anton Gardens, which are nice places to go for a walk. It has two big supermarkets, GS and Scotts, many cafes, some bars, but it gets really quiet at night, because mostly locals live here. If you go with the car to St. Julians, the travel time is about 15 minutes with no traffic. It could get much worse with traffic. The buses are not very convenient, but there are 225 and 205 going there right now. One is once an hour, the other is twice an hour. Takes about 25-30 minutes on average.
If you choose to live more to the west, it will take you much longer with morning traffic. Same goes for southern parts of the island. St. Julians itself, as well as Valletta and Sliema are all very busy and not quiet areas.

Good luck with your search,

Irina

Hi Irene,

I looked it up on a map, and even found an apartment in the area. It does look like a nice location not too far away from Valetta, and Sliema.

I will try and go there to see it once I arrive.

Thanks for the info :-)

Naxxar is a very nice town. nad St Julians from there is not to bad on the Bus.

Birzebbuga that I mentioned has a Beach and plenty of Cafes and Bars, a lovely promenade to walk and is a very very freindly place. Also very cheap, I have again got another friend an apartment, 3 Bedroom over 2 floors and roof furnished for €350 a month.

I really do not mind the commute to be honest its not that bad and in the Summer its 25 minutes

Julian

I think the best thing will be to check out the places when I go there next week. Looking at pics is one thing....another one is getting a feeling of the area :-)

However at least now I know where to begin my search - So thanks a lot :-D

scubaboy wrote:

I would mention where I live in Birzebbugia but for a bus to St J. It takes about 1hr and half I drive to St J everyday to work but wouldn't move from here is great.

Julian

hi scubaboy,
do you find that living in the south you tend to get less attention.Im interested in internet connection specifically,if its anything like England then theres a massive north/south divide.
  ive been on a few estate agents sites,and you can rent a place for about £170 a month.seems very good value.

Hiya Maltaforme,

Not at all, I have a 30M connection in Birze, free upgrade from the 25M that I had previously.

Buses run 3 every hour, Food and Drink especially going out is cheaper, the roads are ....well the roads are pretty much the same anywhere in malta :)

I do however Love this area...

If you do want to know any more info then dont hesitate to ask.

Julian

sjippe wrote:

I think the best thing will be to check out the places when I go there next week. Looking at pics is one thing....another one is getting a feeling of the area :-)

However at least now I know where to begin my search - So thanks a lot :-D

you will rarely see pictures of the outside of a property!!!!! when you get here you will realise why!

scubaboy wrote:

Hiya Maltaforme,

Not at all, I have a 30M connection in Birze, free upgrade from the 25M that I had previously.

Buses run 3 every hour, Food and Drink especially going out is cheaper, the roads are ....well the roads are pretty much the same anywhere in malta :)

I do however Love this area...

If you do want to know any more info then dont hesitate to ask.

Julian

thank you very much.