Three questions: Renting / Broadband availability / Power cuts

Hello,

I'm going to move to Malta next month. During my preparations, I have found this forum to be very helpful, in fact, more so than any other single resource, so... thank you all! :)

While I have been able to find answers to most of my questions by now, there are still three things I would like to know before I arrive:

1) Renting an apartment

After finding an apartment and reaching a verbal agreement with the landlord, how long does it usually take until you are allowed to move in? Does the rental process involve a considerable amount of paperwork/bureaucracy or is it merely a matter of signing a standardised contract and handing over an appropriate amount of money?

I will be looking for something basic, just one bedroom and preferably in the San Gwann/Gzira/Msida area.

2) Internet access

GO is apparently the only internet provider who doesn't require an ID card, which I don't have. In addition, their minimum subscription period is only one month, so I'm probably going to sign up with them. (Other suggestions are welcome.)

Are all phone lines in Malta capable of delivering broadband internet or is this something to keep in mind while looking for an apartment?

3) Power cuts

Following Maltese news web sites for the past few months led me to believe that power outages are not that uncommon in Malta. Are these usually totally random or are some areas more likely to be affected, e.g. more densely populated areas, certain cities...?

Thank you!

-- Daniel

1. sometimes people move in within a couple of days
2. pass
3. random and infrequent

1. Not a lot of paper work, but if you go through an agency (ie not Maltapark) you may have to pay 1st & last months rent and definitely will pay another 1/2 months rent to the real estate agent.
2. Melita allowed me to get a no contract 100mbs broadband with an EU passport(no ID Card) and a 50 Euro deposit. I had to suggest the idea of a deposit rather than a contract as I was also told without a ID card and long term commitment it would be impossible.
3. Power cuts are possible, imminent, and infrequent.

Daniel, Firstly may I congratulate you upon your questions and layout... exactly as required to receive sensible answers!

I would also add that unfortunately I have been away from the Island for nearly 10 months now so things may well have changed, regardless I will put in my 'two-pennies worth'

Q1) If you find a 'private landlord' they will probably have their own rental contract (some standard, some 'ammended') Be careful to read carefully and be prepared to ask for clarification or changes to be made... if they refuse, be prepared to walk away! There are many that have been 'well stitched up' by not taking the time to read... but in the event you find a good landlord who plays fair then you can pay the agreed advance rental plus security deposit and be in within hours...

With an agent, it will usually take a little longer plus they will want their 50% of one months rental as their fee... however it can still all be done within 24 hours or so if pushed...

I was very fortunate, I had a fantastic flat with a tremendous landlord in Sliema.

Q2) GO are a Telco with TV and Melita are a Cable TV company with telephony... There is also Vodafone with their WiMax service... By choice, if still the same as a year ago, go for the melita phone and broadband option (check allowances with packages)but forget their TV... there are better ways to get TV but if you are familiar with IT and happy for monitor type / tablet type viewing... use FilmOn or similar. Not sure about the ID / deposit situation as it did not affect me but I suspect going to Melita direct will allow a deal to be done... they all need money at the moment!

Q3) Power cuts are strange and a lot like the local buses... none for ages then several close together but from personal experience in Sliema I only recall having half a dozen cuts in a year (but that may be a little out and just my memory playing tricks)

Regardless... enjoy Malta, I did and frequently wish I was back there!

Mike

Hi danex,

here in central Sliema we didn't even have a power cut this year. Other places did - so you never know as any builder can dig through cables or the network can just fail at anytime.

Internet in Malta is through the cable network and not via telephone lines. I'm with Melita and can't complain ( except about the regular stupid calls with special offers) but I'm not sure if there are differences with ID card or without.

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi danex,

here in central Sliema we didn't even have a power cut this year. Other places did - so you never know as any builder can dig through cables or the network can just fail at anytime.

Internet in Malta is through the cable network and not via telephone lines. I'm with Melita and can't complain ( except about the regular stupid calls with special offers) but I'm not sure if there are differences with ID card or without.

Cheers
Ricky

Sorry to disagree Ricky but I believe GO is via the telephony network (ADSL) whereas Melita is a coxial / fibre(?) deployment...

Of course I could be wrong and GO have changed their network provision !!!

Mike

Hi Mike,

what would the difference be between internet via phoneline or cable ? Is there a big difference?

Cheers
Ricky

ricky wrote:

Hi Mike,

what would the difference be between internet via phoneline or cable ? Is there a big difference?

Cheers
Ricky

The main difference lies in the medium which is used to transfer data. Cable Internet uses fibre optic cable whereas ADSL (telephone) uses copper cable.

Fibre optic cable is superior to copper so in theory cable internet should be faster but this isn't always the case for two reasons:

1. Speed caps employed by the service provider
2. Cable internet services can slow down significantly if there are many people accessing the internet simultaneously in your neighbourhood.

Go still use conventional telephone cables.

Good reply Lambada but I think in most cases, the cableco's still use FTTC type applications with standard coax for the last mile element... certainly that was the case with Melita and my flat in Sliema!

But the service speed remained pretty good, far superior to the ADSL service I previously had from GO (which was seriously overcontended... a bit like their 3G service was (is?)