Teaching English and moving to Lyon

I am moving to Lyon in December after I PACS with my partner in November. I am finding it incredibly difficult to find a job teaching or training in English due to the work permit, which will not be giving to me until I live in France for a year unless an employer issues me one.

I have 12 years teaching at the elementary level, 2 years teaching French at the high school level, and I have also trained and mentored new teachers. I would love to obtain an English teaching position or even a job that fits my qualifications that is outside the box of teaching. I sincerely appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Thanks so much!

Warm regards,

Erich

Hi and welcome to the forum Erich!

Maybe you should try posting an advert in the Lyon jobs section.
It might help!

Regards
Armand

Hello,

If teaching is what you're aiming at, you will have to work privately unless you sit the CAPES and be successful at it.
To be authorized to sit the CAPES, you need to have a masters degree or be a "tenured"/permanent teacher in another country (but it depends which ones and I'm not sure what it is like for the USA).
There are a few bilingual/international schools in Lyon, you might want to try there.
Hope this is a bit helpful!
Good luck!

To teach in a private school (collège, lycée) you don't need to be a French citizen or sit the CAPES exam, though you will need a work permit. There is a shortage of English teachers in France, so dig out a list of private schools in and around Lyon and post your CV to them, with a covering letter.

Good luck!