Oran lifestyle info needed...thank you!!

Hi all!

Im a pakistani women whos born and raised in the uk. Im hoping to move to Oran, Algeria in the next few months to get married there and stay living there. I do have a few questions that i need so desperately answered! So if you could help me would mean alot!

1. how do i open a bank account in Oran and what paperwork do i need to show for this.
2. How do i extend my visa for a resident card.
3. Would it be possible to drive around Oran in my UK Driving licence?
4. Does anyone know of any schools/colleges where I can apply for a job to teach english as I have my TEFL certification.
5. Any other expats living in Oran that I can make friends with?
6. Is it going to be hard for me to live there for a year?
7. What is the average rental for a house or flat in Oran?
8. Can you set up your own language school at all?

i think thats it, sorry if ive asked alot. But nerves are geting the best of me! Thank you all!

Hi nighat,

Welcome to Expat.com!

I hope you get replies to your questions.

All the best,
Christine

Hi,

Going through your list of questions made me wonder, if you are going there to get married, then you definitely will have a fiance who is from Algeria. If that is the case then he will definitely take care of all the issues, if that is not the case and you are going there to search for a husband, then I would recommend that you reconsider your decision as the life in Algeria is very different compared to life in the UK. I wish you all the best. Take care.

Regards
Ahmed Shameer

Hi Ahmed

I dont think anyone would up and leave where they are but only for a good reason. I have clearly stated that i will be getting married there. And yes my fiance is Algerian and yes he does know of the things i have asked on this forum. But it never hurts to ask other peoples opinions who have experienced living in Algeria or are still living there as expats for my own benefit.

So please if you do have any constructive feedback with answers to questions that i have asked then i would love to hear back from you.

Kind regards

Nighat!

Dear Nighat,

* First of all, to open a bank account, you need to be a resident, have a work certificate, salary statements, legal copy of your ID, passport or resident card and a minimum amount of money, depending on the banks, the bank as well may ask for something else, better to call or go their websites before.

* For the Visa: Sorry I dunnot have any idea
* Driving with a UK D.licence is impossible, as you guys are driving on the opposite side :D you need to get an international Driving License.

* To be a teacher in Algeria, you need to be graduated from the national institute or coming with a very high levelled diploma and speak much of Arabic and French, but to be honnest, the ministry of education doesn't allow non Algerian people to teach. you can though, find teacher's position in private schools.
* Orqn is a very nice region, open minded people and used to european expats living over there, so no worries, plus, a lot of Indians and pakistanis working for the extension of the port in Arzew, you'll have chances to meet some famillies I believe.
* to set up your own language school you need to be a partner with an Algerian graduated from the field you want to make business of (51/49) but even here, the Algerian government is very tuff, accoring to quality and procedures. the struggle may last more than your stay in Algeria.

Ninu