Safety question: Selling my car

Our time here is done and we are trying to sell our car.  I have a couple of questions about the process and was hoping to get some guidance.
*What is the safest way to accept payment, i.e. Personal check, cash, bank transfer, etc? 
*I'm always worried about fraud, is it acceptable to make sure the check, cash, bank transfer clears my account before handing over the keys?
*I need a little clarification on the title/registration transfer process - Is that something we do together after the payment has cleared?  So it is acceptable for me to keep the car in my possession (not driving it of course) while the money transfers and the title, etc is switched over?
*Does the buyer need insurance before we can transfer title?
*I have personalized plates on the car and the registration doesn't expire until Jan 2013 - if they so desire can they keep the plates until they expire?

Sorry for all the questions - I just don't want any hang ups.  Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Many thx, :thanks:
Jakulin

Hi Jakulin,

when I bought my car from the main Toyota dealer in Malta they only accepted cash or a bank guaranteed check. So I went to the bank around the corner and got a guaranteed check! One that can't bounce .......

If the Maltese dealer goes that way I would do so in your case!

Cheers
Ricky

PS I would also check the cash too ! ..........

I dont know know the answers to any of your questions but... do you mind if I ask what car are you selling? I need a car!! Inbox me if you would prefer.

Thanks for the advise Ricky, will do! 

Hi Damsel

I'm selling our 2011 Fiat 500 lounge.  We ordered it from the dealership here on the island and have had it just over a year.  There is an ad posted in the Classifieds here on this site.  The price is negotiable.  Inbox me if you'd like to discuss it further.

Thx,
Jakulin

Just had a look.... Lovely car!
I am looking for a big family car but thanks anyway.

Hi, when I left the Island at the end of last year, I had the same matter to deal with...and it actually was very straight forward!

I advertised my car on Maltapark...received a phone call from a local Maltese lady at 21:00 and her and her husband came to see the car an hour later...

They liked the car (having seen and tested it) and we negotiated a deal upon which they handed me a deposit (in cash)

The following day the husband and I went to my insurance company and agreed the transfer of the insurance for the next day and then with all relevant car and personal documents went to the licensing place at Valletta the following day (I checked that he had the full balance payment in cash with him) and simply completed the transfer. The husband then handed over the cash and I gave him a hand written receipt...

The wonderful thing was that a bit later that day, I had a phone call from the buyers inviting me out for a meal with them... Lovely lovely people!

Mikea

Thanks for sharing your experience, very helpful.  I hope my goes as smoothly!

Cheers,
Jakulin