Importing a puppy from the USA to Ho Chi Minh City

I have a gentleman in Vietnam wanting very badly to import one of my Neapolitan Mastiff puppies. Although I have shipped pups all over the world, I have never shipped a puppy via cargo to HCMC and I am getting a broad range of information via the internet about this process. The puppy is 90 days old today and I have all of the crate requirements and I know that I can book a flight via United cargo from Indianapolis to Newark to HCMC for about $700. My questions are related more to the health certificate and vaccinations. Do I need an International health certificate and does it need a seperate stamp or signature from my local USDA in addition to my vets? I'm assuming that since the puppy is now 90 days old that he will require a rabies shot, but do I then need to wait 30 days after to ship? Are there further documents or import papers needed once the pup arrives in HCMC? Some have posted they needed nothing but the rabies & the clean bill of health, while others have said they had to have a vet sign more paperwork on arrival. I also automatically microchip my pups with AKC Car chips which are universal, but some sites say they do not require that for Vietnam import. Any info anyone has would be awesome! Thanks.

Cassandra
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]

VietNam most likely has more dog diseases rampant than the whole of the USA. The dog needs protection from what it will meet here!

The requirements for an accompanied animal, which I doubt are any different from a shipped animal, are much different.

VietNam Customs require that all animals entering (legally and not just wandering across the border) have all standard immunisations up to date AND a letter from a Board Certified vet that states he has inspected the animal and that the animal is in good health.

I would send a copy of this letter attached to the shipping crate (in a clearly envelope) AND send the original by registered mail to the recipient. He can get it translated into Vietnamese here.

He has 30 days in which to get it translated.

My Mother used to breed dogs which shipped internationally. I can assure you that junior is very unlikely to end up on someones dinner table - they breed eating dogs.

Since you are in the States, perhaps you can have an ID injected in to it, too. There are a couple of readers in VietNam - and their use is increasing.

Finally, you should clearly mark the new owners cell number on the outside of the box for ease of communication.

Cassandra,
Since you state that you are a dog breeder... and your client has no bond or interaction with this puppy yet... It's essentially a new dog...
Wouldn't it be more ethical on your part to suggest to this gentleman... to adopt a puppy here in Vietnam..??

Every dog needs a home...Vietnam is no different..!!

I think it cost my niece over $1500 to send her dog from Australia to Vietnam. Then it took them a month to hold the dog for proper immunization.

Vietnam, where they make it extra hard for you to do anything.

johnnywastaken wrote:

Wouldn't it be more ethical on your part to suggest to this gentleman... to adopt a puppy here in Vietnam..?

The varieties of dogs available in VN is limited, as is the gene pool.
http://tarpon.tamug.edu/~elde25/IMG_0537.jpg

Phu Quoc ridgeback dogs

ildragoneo wrote:

I have a gentleman in Vietnam wanting very badly to import one of my Neapolitan Mastiff puppies. Although I have shipped pups all over the world, I have never shipped a puppy via cargo to HCMC and I am getting a broad range of information via the internet about this process. The puppy is 90 days old today and I have all of the crate requirements and I know that I can book a flight via United cargo from Indianapolis to Newark to HCMC for about $700. My questions are related more to the health certificate and vaccinations. Do I need an International health certificate and does it need a seperate stamp or signature from my local USDA in addition to my vets? I'm assuming that since the puppy is now 90 days old that he will require a rabies shot, but do I then need to wait 30 days after to ship? Are there further documents or import papers needed once the pup arrives in HCMC? Some have posted they needed nothing but the rabies & the clean bill of health, while others have said they had to have a vet sign more paperwork on arrival. I also automatically microchip my pups with AKC Car chips which are universal, but some sites say they do not require that for Vietnam import. Any info anyone has would be awesome! Thanks.

Cassandra
[Moderated: No free ad on the forum pls]

I know this is out of topic but please please double triple check and make sure this gentleman is no where near a puppy mill or going to be breeding for selfish reasons. It is totally fine to be breeding properly but as you are not personally here in Vietnam you don't really understand the situation here. We only have one good vet here and I'm so glad he is in Ho Chi Minh.

Also you don't want to see your beautiful puppies being breed and sold on the street. Please understand that I am not going against you selling your puppies, I am just concerned.

Brandypup wrote:

I know this is out of topic but please please double triple check and make sure this gentleman is no where near a puppy mill or going to be breeding for selfish reasons.

How can you check he is "no where near a puppy mill" - a puppy mill can be anywhere, it just happens Le Hong Phong has a group of them. (And a good Kmer restaurant)

Brandypup wrote:

We only have one good vet here and I'm so glad he is in Ho Chi Minh.

There are way more than "one good vet" in TP HCM. There are very good Vets for Domestic Animals in Da Nang and Ha Noi, too. The key is making sure they are trained for pets and not just cows, pigs and chickens.

Brandypup wrote:

Also you don't want to see your beautiful puppies being breed and sold on the street.

The biggest deterrent is the USD$700 shipping fee - what puppy mill in VN would pay this much when they can go to PMH or An Phu and kidnap one?