Buses within Muscat to PDO

Hi everyone,

I am new here; I have a couple of questions about Muscat. I am  planning to join PDO soon 2-3 months. I wanna know about the public transportation system , since I am not planning to get a car in the near future , my question is mainly about if there any buses from down town to PDO offices or residential camp (al khumair, Medina sultan Kabous , Azaiba, Ghubra  ).

Thanks in advance for your responses

Hi knight_rider25000,

Despite Muscat being a very well developed city, the public transportation system leaves a lot to be desired.

PDO is not very well connected by public buses - which only ply the main highways.

However, what you could do is engage a private pick-up / drop service, if your work timing is fixed.

Check the classifieds in the local English dailies and you will find plenty of contact numbers for the above.

For a more detailed account about the ‘Public transportation in Muscat' click this link : https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=106010

Cheers !

Sumitran,

Thanks a lot  for your reply and for the link, coming from Dubai to Muscat is a big change for me with a a huge challenge  as it seems even Taxi don't run meters , they say it all up to the negotiation  skills and the way I bargain.
Do you by any chance have a rough estimation about the cost of Taxi from down-town (al khumair, Medina sultan Kabous )  to PDO offices ?
Thanks in advance.

Hi knight_rider25000,

True. Taxis here in Muscat / Oman do not have metres, nor are they even remotely close to anything like it is in Dubai.

For starters, all taxi drivers are locals. Non-Omanis are prohibited by law from owning or even driving taxis. Many Omanis working in offices and even in the ministries drive taxis after their office hours to supplement their income.

The local taxi drivers are notorious for fleecing their hapless passengers. Since most passengers who use these public taxis are expatriates, communicating with the taxi drivers also becomes a huge challenge since most taxi drivers are not conversant in any language except their mother tongue Arabic. (Fortunately you are saved here !!).

It will be very rare for you to find a good, clean, polite and an honest taxi driver – whose vehicle is clean inside as well !!

Since I have never travelled from Al Khuwair / Madinat Sultan Qaboos to the PDO I do not know exactly how much a taxi driver would charge. But what I do know is that since PDO is not bang on the main Sultan Qaboos highway, you would have to necessarily engage a taxi. And my guess is it would cost you about R.O. 5/- one way easily.

Good luck !