Driving in muscat on visit visa

Hi,
I am from India and hold a valid driving licence for past 18 years. On visit visa, can we hire or lease a car for self drive in the visit period? If so, what are the procedures? will it help if i convert it to international driving licence from India?
thanx in advance...

Hi
      Well Good news and bad news. Bad news is that you can not drive in oman on your national license (India) but good news is that you can drive on International license (India) which is usually valid for 1 year and yes you can hire a rent a car for period of three months. Second thing to keep in mind that flow and style of traffic in Oman may be different than you may have use to so it is highly recommended that you observe the traffic very well along with some friend and learn rules and norms for some time and than bring your car on road. Traffic is quite fast here and once you are on road, it is presumed that you know everything already and will drive similarly. There are lot of details you should be familiar off before sitting on driving wheel. Moreover, it is opposite hand drive than India so that will be a major obstacle for you if you do not go to training before driving here. Be safe and keep others safe. 

Good Luck
Asi

hi,
thanks a lot drasi for the quick and detailed reply...

rajmayampilly wrote:

Hi,
I am from India and hold a valid driving licence for past 18 years. On visit visa, can we hire or lease a car for self drive in the visit period? If so, what are the procedures? will it help if i convert it to international driving licence from India?
thanx in advance...

My Advice is,  if you haven't ever driven outside of India, don't drive in Oman. It will unnecessarily put your life on risk as there's a huge difference between Indian and Omani roads.

Hi rajmayampilly,

What schaz has advised you is absolutely correct. If you have never driven in the Muscat roads before, please do not attempt to jump behind the wheels of a vehicle soon after stepping out of the airport and start driving here !!

Driving on Muscat is totally different from driving on Indian roads. There are lane disciplines to be followed, speed limits to be maintained, negotiating roundabouts, and much more which someone who has only been driving in the chaotic Indian roads would be totally unfamiliar with.

Hi, I am from India.
1-If I go to Oman with International Driving License from India on employment visa can I drive there for 3 months?

2- If I am on visit or tourist visa, can I go for driving license tests and license ?

3- Which visa is valid for 3 months tourist or visit?

Hi manuski99,

Find my comments highlighted against your queries below :

1-If I go to Oman with International Driving License from India on employment visa can I drive there for 3 months? - Yes, you can.

2- If I am on visit or tourist visa, can I go for driving license tests and license ? - No, you can't. To be able to apply for a Learner's Driving Licence, you have to be a registered resident of the Sultanate.

3- Which visa is valid for 3 months tourist or visit? - Family Visit Visa.

Thank you Sumitran. I am getting job in Oman. But the employer is telling I do not have GCC driving license. I do not know what to do? Please guide me urgently. I am driving in India for last 30 years without any accident even minor.

Hi manuski99,

Unfortunately your driving in India and here would be completely and totally different. So upon arriving, the sooner you undo your 30-years of Indian driving learnings, the better it would be for you.

For expatriates who come here new to the Sultanate, one of the biggest challenges is getting the local driving licence. The issue gets even more stressful if the expatriate's job entails a lot of outdoor work.

Getting the local driving licence is a hurdle which has to be crossed. There are no short cuts. It is a known fact that those expatriates who are not domiciled in Muscat can have it slightly easier.

Suggest you read the many detailed posts in the forum on the same subject, to get a better understanding of the process, so at least you are mentally prepared and you know what to expect.

Hi...my brother is coming on a visit visa to muscat can he able to drive my private car on his international driving licence or he has to take a rental only ?

Thanks

Hi,

I am living in Kuwait holing a valid Kuwait and Indian driving license. Am planning to visit Oman for a week.

I would like to know if i can drive in Oman with my License ?  i heard that the license issued in any GCC countries can be used in whole GCC, is this true ?

Somebody pls advice me ?

I read somewhere only red plates permitted for people on a tourist visa. I'm searching for confirmation myself

Beainoman wrote:

I read somewhere only red plates permitted for people on a tourist visa. I'm searching for confirmation myself

Yes you're correct. I'll make it more precised. On a tourist visa, only a rent-a-car may be driven. But make sure that the country's license should be acceptable even for the rent-a-car as well.