Where to live to experience life as a native

Greetings,

I understand that there are communities where the expats live.  I am looking to live more among the vietnamese.  Maybe what I am looking for is not possible.  Anyone have any experiences they would like to share?

You won't have any problems finding all the authentic experiences you seek.

The term, 'native', IMO, is derogatory.

You are not discussing some remote, wild, tribe, you are discussing a nation of almost 100-million with their citizens scattered world wide, and a history that makes the US history but a day in time.

Returning to your question about a place of abode, the whole country fits your description, it is only those Foreigners who have chosen, and pay dearly for, to live in compound areas. Americans call them 'gated communities'.

Foreigners can live in otherwise predominantly VNese buildings; Foreigners can live in VNese communities and you could even marry a VNese.

All living accommodation is subject to police, Cong An, approval. You won't be able to live in a rent-subsidised building or where other restrictions exist, such as in indigenous areas. You can get overnight, or limited duration permission in a such areas.

In remote areas, it is possible to live within a 'family setting', as a tourist, in a few places. Mai Chau is one, Lai Chau Province is another.

I have stayed, illegally, overnight with VNese families in the rural Hue area but as sure as Hell, the Cong An is around the next day giving them lectures.

Ancientpathos,

Vietnamese live highly opened lives, and are quite warm people.  As long as you have the language and interpersonal skills, they will welcome you.  Furthermore, the Vietnamese who gather around the expat communities, for the most parts, aren't the most sincere people.  That is pretty well-documented. 

Best wishes,
Howie

Native (A person of local origin) IMO is not derogatory but who knows in the pc world we live in these days.

The best suggestion I can give is do pop a squat on a small chair and start chatting. Stay out of all the local expat joints that are over priced. I live in a Vn area of D-10 and love it. Most local people  are very friendly and are just as eager to meet you as you are them. Strike up a chat. Learn a few basic words and you will be surprised the smiles you get when they correct you.

Jaitch I appreciate your thoughts. How about October 4th or any day after i buy lunch and we can discuss the ideal place to live.
I really do not want to live surrounded by fellow expats.  Now seeing some on occasion is good.

Howie and Chris,

Thanks for the information.  Being new I will proably make some big and small mistakes.

Hey ancientpathos,

it's quite easy, no-one "has" to stay in ghetto for foreigners, most who do, possible just like to keep the standards, they used to.

You can almost "live" everywhere (still, a few restriction do apply), next to locals and still being in Saigon or absolute remotely, where you might not find a foreigner in weeks.

Just consider your real needs and your age, paper works, medical, work/income. You will find out, that those kind of things are commonly quite good, where is more demand and a challenge, once you need to make a day trip, to buy a t-shirt.

ancientpathos wrote:

Jaitch I appreciate your thoughts.

Avoid Quan 1, 2 and 7 in TP HCM. Many people never get as far as Q5, 10 or 11 and even the vendors charge you regular prices.

Elsewhere, Da Lat and most spots on the tour bus routes are write offs. I live way up in the Central Highlands and Foreigners, in tow, are less than my fingers and toes in number. In the province there are more running coffee operations.

The MeKong is good, tourists only usually venture as far as Can Tho or Chau Doc. North of Ha Noi, a wide strip paralleling the border is mainly Foreigner free, as are Lai Chau, Dien Bien Phu and Son La Provinces.

But they all have InterNet, cell service and ATMs.

The word, in lieu of natives, used by the UN and other legal bodies, is 'tribes'. VN is is very tribal if you read their documentation.