WHOOPS! That was a Blunder...

I think all you have make a mistake in your new country:
when your used a wrong word or not pronounced it well,
when you don't know how to behave in a social situation by co-workers for example of by your new local friends.

What was your blunder???

I start with mine:

When we lived in our apartment for a couple of months, our neighbors wants to visit us.
For these special occasion I made an old-dutch apple cake.
They liked it very much and the woman asked me in Arabic what the ingredients are.
In my best Arabic I answered her question but I doubted wich word I must use for the word butter. That is zibdeh. But I thought I must use the word jibneh, and that means cheese.
In that time I thought that those words are similar to each other. So, afther a few seconds I said zibdeh.
She didn't not understand me very well and she said What?
And because I don't want te repeat the whole word of zibdeh I said: zibd, zibd!
Their faces turned into a mask and they said absolutly nothing.
My hubby told me in a very calm way in Dutch that the word I just said was not appropriate. He was also embarrassed but I didn't really know. How could I?
On that moment I wished that the ground under beneath me openend to dissapear for a long time.

What that word means? Street langauge for penis :dumbom:

Primadonna wrote:

I made an old-dutch apple cake.

What that word means? Street langauge for penis :dumbom:

Would have been worse if you'd served them a sausage sandwich.

Maybe

When I arrived in Brazil over ten years ago I was already well on my way to fluency in Portuguese, but I had a horrible 'gringo' accent. Even so I was soon to find out that Brazilians speak very quickly so I had a bit of difficulty at first understanding what they were saying. I had to ask constantly for people to speak slowly so I could catch what they were saying.

One sunny afternoon I was wandering through a street market with one of my new Brazilian buddies and we chatted as we strolled about checking out the produce, handicrafts and other items on sale.

I was telling my friend how, when I was much younger, I had been an ambulance attendant in Canada. The chat went on for several minutes. When I said "yes and they all have a tank of oxygen," my friend broke into hysterical laughter. I asked what was so funny about that..... "Qual é a graça nisso? Toda AMBULNCIA tem oxigênio!" He only laughed harder and said that he'd never seen a watermelon with a tank of oxygen.

"What watermelon idiot? I'm talking about A-M-B-U-L--N-C-I-A", I shouted. He chuckled and replied, "James didn't you know that I changed the subject and have been talking to you about that watermelon over there for the past five minutes?"  The Portuguese word for watermelon is MELANCIA.

From that day on every time we were together, if he saw a watermelon he would make a loud whooping sound like a siren.......  mee-mah-mee-mah-mee-mah melancia James!

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog

When I first came here I stuck my chopsticks in rice the way anyone would, but you're not supposed to.  It's very rude and an insult to your host.  Eating rice is more complicated than it should be.

The etiquette for something as simple as drinking tea is just too much.

Driving on the wrong side of the road for a good few hundred meters :blink:

Share your expat experience and get in touch with other members

OR