Living in Johanbesburg

Hi,

I have recently got an offer to work in Johannesburg for 2-3 year term. I have absolutely no clue on how it is going to be! I have two options based on the advice i receive from some of you here who have been living there for quite sometime....

> I move alone all by myself
> I move along with my wife and 4.5 year old daughter

What i would like to know is no brainer

> Safety (safe location to live, how far from Central business district)
> Education (again how safe is to send the kid in a bus,are there international schools, Indian schools?, cost of education)
> Grocerey (Vegetables, fruits, indian market?, cost etc)
> Transport (Public Transport, Taxi, Own Car possibilities? how safe to go by bus, taxi, timings to take /not to take these modes of transport)
> Communication (Is English widely understood by local store keepers, taxi cabbies etc)
> average housing expenses per month?
> any other information?

Thanks
PS

Hi engineer1973,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Hello :)

I would b happy to assist you with info.
When do you start work in Johannesburg ?
Where in Johannesburg will you be based (area/suburb)
English is one of South-Africa's 11 official languages and everyone can speak English.
Our level of education is higher than many other countries in the world and our school curriculum is not for the faint hearted.
Most of our tertiary education is internationally recognized.
A recent Forbes study revealed that  South-Africa is the 3rd most friendliest city in the world (google it)
We have the freshest juiciest fruit and vegetables in the world ,because our climate is so great ,its exported internationally .
Our meat is by far the tastiest as well .

So lets see where you will be based - work wise and then it would be best to find a school or your daughter close to home and it would be best for you to live close to work - if possible .
Public transport is a no no !
Most schools have transport services and children are dropped off and picked up at home ,most parents just fetch their kids from school ,if their working hours allow it.

Inbox me :)

Good luck , you will love South-Africa and your daughter will love it even more ,she will have so many friends and the zoo's and theme parks are the best !