Moving to Johannesburg from Greece

Hi!!!
My name is Loreta. In a few months me and my family(spouse and a 5years old boy) are moving to Johannesburg. I know that you have answer this question a million time... How's the crime over there? We have a lot of crime at Greece and the city center is almost empty from tourists and regular people. I hear so many things about johannesburg and i really dont know what to believe. No stopping at the street lights with your car, no walking alone at night, no this no that. Is everywhere like that or is only in some areas? Is there anything to do on weekends? I mean we are 30 years old and we'd like to go out for a drink or something. Sorry for the many questions but i'm trying to understand some things before moving to johannesburg. We'll be living at Bedfordview.. Thank you for your time!

I don't live in Johannesburg but I have friends that live in Pretoria and Jo'burg surrounds and they enjoy life very much.

I understand that you have to be careful about the crime but this doesn't stop my friends from doing things and travelling the beautiful surrounds of Jo'burg.

Here are some websites you might like to look at for info:

Restaurants/Night Life/Bars info for Jo'burg:
dining-out.co.za
jhblive.com
trendspotting.co.za/node/245
Discount deals- groupon.co.za/deals/johannesburg

Places to visit near by:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretoria
Parys (1h30m from Jo'burg)-parys.co.za/
Places close to Jo'burg- aatravel.co.za/index.php?p=theme_weekend_getaways

Things to do with Children:
joburg.org.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=358&Itemid=52
jozikids.co.za/johannesburg/day_trips

Craft Markets/Farmers Markets:
kamersvol.com
hneighbourgoodsmarket.co.za
bryanstonorganicmarket.co.za
hazelfoodmarket.co.za

Good luck and I hope your move is fruitful!

Hi and welcome to South Africa.

Yes, as every country, indeed every home, has its fair share of issues, we are no different!  Admittedly the crime is a concern to every one  of  us....  Criminals are found the world over!  Here we have certain measures in place such as house alarms, electric fencing, car trackers, etc etc.  also, it depends where one lives -  geographical location, as well as type of accomodation.... Free standing plots, security complexes, apartments... Many options

SA is  a country of such diversity that one can choose  ones lifestyle!  Gauteng is the economical hub of the country.  J'burg has much to offer in terms of entertainment....  Many  nightclubs, restaurants, malls.... All very modern and sleek.

We also fortunate in that just a short drive out brings one in such close encounters with our amazing wildlife!

There is much to see and do in SA!  Each of our provinces offer their own unique appeal and I have no doubt that you are going to love traveling within our vast country.  There is so much to explore.

Enjoy your stay.

Not stopping at lights would be in the CBD and yeah you can go out and party :) Been doing it my whole life ;)