New to forum

Are there folks (U.S. expats) that have an opinion regarding quality of living (all of the many factors-including cost of living) in Costa Rica versus Ecuador? Any advice?
Thanks

welcome to Expat.com

Well, since this question has been out there for nearly two months without an answer I guess I can at least give some hearsay evidence. :)

I don't have personal experience in Ecuador, but have spent time in Peru. I know they are different, but I think they are closer to one another in characteristics than either is to Costa Rica.

From tales I hear or read about concerning Ecuador it does sound like it could be a nice place to live. I'm sure that it is less expensive than CR. On the other hand, like many S.A. countries the quality of living is highly differentiated, which is much less true in CR. That is, for the natives. In CR basic needs of food and housing and medical care are nearly there for everyone, and there is enough work if one wants to work. This means that almost everywhere in CR you, as an ex-pat could settle comfortably.

If Ecuador is anything like Peru (and comparing notes with friends it seems similar) you will find there is a lot of absolutely crushing poverty in the country for the have-nots. This means large slums, people going hungry, etc. Thus, ex-pats tend to cluster in certain areas, not all over the country. This is similar to Panamá where you'll find the bulk of ex-pats in and around Boquete. The consequence to this is that you end up paying a higher rate for housing and other necessities. It's just supply and demand.

Anyway, just my two cents. Maybe my hearsay opinions will trigger a response from someone with some real on-the-ground experience in Ecuador.

Pura vida!

Casey  -  A Dull Roar - Moving to, Retiring in, and Living with Costa Rica