Quality of life in Costa Rica?

Welcome all I am new to the blog.

I am considering a move to CR with my wife. We are in our mid 50's. All the realestate guys say CR is the garden of eden, but I keep reading about all the crime.
1. How safe is CR? (San Ramon or San Isidro)
2. How well do the Ticos and the expats get along?
3. Is there much violent crime in San Jose?
4. Are there expat clubs or social groups? My wife doesn't speak spaninsh so she would like someone to talk with.

Any information on the the quality and expense of life for expats would be greatly appreciated. We are your typical middle income types.

Mike

We completely understand!  We've been doing our research and visiting CR for over 3 years now.  Let me send you a website address that will help you get started.  These are some of our new CR friends we've made.  They're actually living there, we're still in the planning stages.  And one very important thing, no two.  DON'T buy anything unless you have at least one attorney, preferably two.  Keep doing your research and you'll soon learn why.  Second:  don't buy anything until you've had a chance to check out the country.  We like both San Ramon and San Isidro but they are different in climate and expat views.  Far too much to tell you in one short post but others will answer you too, or you can ask me more questions.  Here's the info for Paul and Gloria Yeatman's site.  Tell them Vikki said hello! http://retireforlessincostarica.com/

Thanks for the reply. Wow 3 years of research. What do you like best about CR and what do you like least? We are looking for cooler climate (75-85) and friendly people. I will go to the website and say hello to Vikki.

Thanks again,
Mike

Another source for those interested in Costa Rica insights and news:  sceniccostarica.com  Good news section. 

Another Mike

We learned about Costa Rica because my husband is an orchid growing FREAK.  I spend a lot of time on the internet and have made some very good contacts.  What we like best is the ability to live on a lower income which means we can retire about 5 years earlier than if we stayed here.  We have checked out the medical because I'm an insulin-dependent diabetic and everything we have found is good so far.  I can suggest some other websites:  Association of Residents of Costa Rica at arcr.net; the Community Action Alliance at actionalliancecr.com; boomersoffshore.com for a great story about moving to CR; the realcostarica.com and welovecostarica.com for lots of links and info.  Keep checking things out and you'll figure out if this is for you.

Hello the other Mike ;) and welcome to Expat.com!

Regards,
Harmonie.

Thanks for all the web sites. I have seen all the boomersoffshore videos on youtube. That gave me a lot of confidence. What part of the country looks best to you? Do you plan to rent or buy?

Mike

We have looked at a lot of properties but plan to rent for awhile so that we can get a real feel for the various areas.  We're leaning towards San Isidro but also really like San Ramon and Zarcero.  We've made friends in both places so it's kind of tough to decide.

For those interested in living 'on the ocean', accept that you will be 200m BACK from an imaginary line drawn out in the water.

Do NOT get involved with a 'concession' from the local municipality for the Milla Maritima (150m) behind the 50m Zona Publica next to the water. The rules change and you do not control them.

No escritura (title), no discussion. Deal only with principals, then bring in your atty.

Been there, doing that (2 good attys @ $150/hr); not enjoying it at all. Every day is a new lesson.

Bill

Thanks for the warnings. I am not interested on living by the beach. It's too hot. That's the great thing about CR, you are always 2 hours from the beach for a day trip.

Are those $150/hr lawyers in the US or in CR? I thought CR lawyers were less expensive.

Where do you live? What's good about Costa Rica?

Mike

Hi Mike -
we've been here about 5 years, checking out different towns and living situations - settled now in San Pedro (east side of San Jose) for about 2 years.
I've tracked and posted our cost of living here:
http://julieandrickincostarica.blogspot … _of_living
I've tried to indicate *how* we live as well as the costs.
hope it helps,
Julie

Hi Mike,
I live in Drake (actually just south of), 50m back from the ocean and 20m up; no A/C, no glass on windows, etc. Really nice if being daily involved with nature is your bag. No TV, road, car etc.; in/out by boat or bus blah blah blah.

If you want a "connected" lawyer, get the very best. I've had several sorry lessons using the local talent; never pick a fight you cannot win, and if you're going up against a government ministry - you better be very well connected.

Good about CR? Not a fascist state for starters; the US has changed, and not for the better. Can you reconcile the 4th amendment and the TSA? As pi**-poor as the local cops are, they will not kill you.

20 odd years ago an Argentinian explained to me that my name was "Gringo Dollar". Gringo because obviously I am one, and Dollar because it was presumed I had lots of them and would (graciously) spread them around. Should you move here it is worth understanding that you are 'a stranger in a strange land', you may come to know CR well but you will never be a Tico.
And this is quite OK, just do not delude yourself.

enjoy, Bill

riggadeaux
"We learned about Costa Rica because my husband is an orchid growing FREAK."

FWIW, there are lots of orchids down south, we must have 40-50 around the house and find them on the trail to our farm often. Whenever I encounter a downed tree I check to see if it has any orchids, sometimes there are many.
Hybrids have difficulties due to their limited tolerance for uninterrupted rain, I had to make a shelter for them.

Bill

Hello BillA,

I understand that an expat will never be a tico. It's the same everywhere. If a non-American moves to the US, it takes a generation to be considered American (if then). I lived in the Dominican Republic for almost 2 years speaking Spanish and I was still a gringo. Unfortunately I wont be the big dollar gringo. Just the average middle income Joe.

I'm looking for something between total nature isolation and city life. A small finca fairly close to a friendly town. Where the wife and I can live a tico lifestyle on $1,500- $2,000/month. Cell and internet are a necesity.

My passion is auqaponics.

Mike