Crime in paradise

I have read lately of a rise in crime in Costa Rica. I understand that a person always has to be aware and not do stupid things (flash cash). Is there much violent street crime or home invasion? Does a person need to worry about thier home if they are gone for a couple of months (vandalism, theft)? I am especially interested in the San Ramon and San Isidro areas.

Dreaming of the Pura Vida,

Mike

VERY location specific; your house, your neighbors, the blocks around you

violent crime is all over, depends on your profile as well (respect = fear)

there are extremes, I am at one with no windows, locks, road, or neighbors nearby
- and there are places in SJ where you do not want to be even in daytime

rent first

Bill

Hi Mike,
My husband and I live in San Ramon de Alajuela.  If you haven't already seen it, take a look at my recent blog post where I cover this topic in a lot of detail: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly: The Truth about Crime in Costa Rica

I agree with Bill -- where you choose to live is important.  If you choose a location where people look out for each other and you get to know your neighbors, you are probably at a lower risk.  The thing that happens here that never head happen back home in the U.S. is that, if you leave your home unattended for any length of time, it is at risk of robbers coming in and stealing everything from your television to the copper wiring.  It happens frequently enough here for it to be a general concern.  At the same time, these are mostly crimes of opportunity and very few involved violence to persons. We still feel safe living in San Ramon.

Gloria

Thanks Gloria,

It is good to know that violent crime is minimal. Things can be replaced easier then people. But with so many people snow birding in CR break ins would be very frustrating. One option I am considering is getting a small farm in the vicinity of San Ramon or San Isidro. Is the rural life more or less of a risk for crime? City life comes with an inherant crime risk. I'm hoping that rural life (similar to the US) is safer and friendlier.

What is the expat community like in San Ramon?

Mike

Hi Mike,
In town or rural, the same cautions apply.  I don't think I could even guess if one is safer than the other.

The expat community here is really great.  I didn't realize how much the sense of community would come to mean to me. You can be as involved (or uninvolved) as you wish.  It's very easy to meet people here (both gringos and ticos). 

Here are links to two websites that will give you an idea of what's going on in our community here in San Ramon:

Community Action Alliance (community involvement): actionalliancecr.com .  Here's some info about their mission:  "The Community Action Alliance is a community based, action oriented organization focused on resolving issues and improving the lives of all residents of Costa Rica.  Our focus is in several primary areas: Citizen Security, Economic Development, Environmental, and Education.  We accomplish this through identifying clear and credible resources and bringing people together to develop solutions." Paul and I are members of the steering committee for this group.

Gringo Central San Ramon (social and cultural activities and trips): GringoCentralSanRamon.blogspot.com]www.GringoCentralSanRamon.blogspot.com

Hope this helps.
Gloria

I talked to a real estate today about a home near Golfito - The listing stated "some work required" - turns out that someone broke in and stole all copper wireing as well as breaking windows.

do not think for an instant that you, as a new gringo, will be any better respected

spend time on the ground, no agents

Bill

As a Costarican I have always been very cautious about where I live.
I know expats who live on farms; however, they have built a small
home for a caretaker and family.
I agree with expats that suggest renting in the area you would like to purchase property.
My advice to everyone is;
Do not think that Costa Rica is a paradise where there is no crime.
There are petty thieves everywhere.
Take your time to do property search on your own.
No bars on windows and no iron gates are fine if you have a 24/7 caretaker on the premises.
And, as always, learn the language.

I have lived in Costa Rica for four years. The short answer to your question is that you just need to use your head and pay attention. A longer version of this can be seen in an article I wrote with the same title as your post. You'll find it here:http://www.travelexperiencecostarica.com/2010/09/07/crime-in-costa-rica/. You'll also find a tourist safety advice page on my website. Don't worry or be scared. Just be smart!