Only few months left before moving to Pune!

Namaste acche log!

Just discovered your blog on the search for info on India and Pune especially. Very nice and informative blog!

In August I will move to Pune for (at least) two years and I am very much looking forward to it.
As I will be presented a contract soon, I am trying to get a bit of feeling for expenses such as living and housing costs in Pune. Any info is welcome!
Since I am moving on my own, I will be happy with approx 80-100 square meters. Is it easy to find such an apartment/house and what is the approximate rent for such a place?

I'm also very much interested in which areas in Pune are nice to live. And as a cycling lover I wander to what extend it is wise to go cycling around Pune, considering the Indian traffic... Anybody any cycling experience around Pune?

Looking forward to your replies and maybe meeting one day!

best regards,
Jelmer

Hi Jelmer, welcome to Expat.com!

I hope other members will share some info with you soon!

In the meantime, why don't you have a look at the section Housing in Pune and post an ad, that could be a start!

Good luck :)

Francesca

Dear Jelmer,
Do you know that in which area your office is? Anyway, good areas to live in are Koregaon Park, Kalyani Nagar and Magarpatta. You will find a lot of expats in these area.
I am not sure if 80/100 meters square apartments are available or not but you can always share it with someone.

-Regards,
Apoorva

Dear Apoorva,

Thanks for your infos! My office will be in Magarpatta, so that might be a good option than.

regards, jelmer

Oh cool! I also work there. There are many apartments here, you will get it easily. The only problem is that the rates are a bit high inside Magarpatta if you want to live alone.

Nice! What are approximately the rates in Magarpatta? I do actually prefer to live alone (have been sharing apartments for too long as a student ;-)). I am still awaiting the contract offer of my employer, so I try to get an idea of living expenses and housing costs.
Also any idea about rents in Karegaon Park?

In Magarpatta, rates for 1 BHK fully furnished are Rs 10k per month. For unfurnished they are around Rs 7k per month. I don't know if you should go via some agent or not, wait for a reply from an expat on that.
If possible, live in Koregaon Park because Magarpatta is kind of boring. :)

Read alsi messages from Melinda Mier
How to be happy while on an international assignment?
Be prepared for your move:

Hi,Try to locate place in Kalyani nagar, Its near to Magarpatta. Rs. 10-15 K, About cycling you can try on cycle tracks in garden and not on loaded traffic [email protected]

Hello folks !

I am visiting Magarpatta from May 26th for a few days, with my wife. The purpose of our visit to make an assessment of the city as a future retirement location.

My main reason for choosing Magarpatta in preference to any other city/town in India is the apparent lack of air pollution that all the internet sites are proclaiming ! Is it really true? I would like almost zero pollution, if possible. That is all I really care for, because my wife has Asthma and I need to make sure that she is protected from pollution.

I also would like to have a cosmopolitan group of friends, to include expats that I am so much used to in the USA.

I shall be grateful for any information on the state of pollution, and the possibility of developing an international friendship network.

We would like to meet some folks while we are there :)

Thanks !

Although you selected Magarpatta, There will be pollution.I will recommend any hill station where there will be Zero Pollution like Mahabaleshwar or Ooty.