Help with Classic Car and MTA Registration

HI all,

I've been reading your threads on importing a car to Malta with interest, but no one seems to have a 'problem' like mine and I'm after some advice!

We are UK nationals who holiday in Malta 2-4 times a year and own a property here in Malta.  We have 2 cars here, 1 fully licensed, insured and in use, 1 stored in a garage, it's the 2nd one that is the 'problem'.

The 2nd one was my partners late fathers who passed away 2 years ago now.  It has been parked in the garage for about 10 years.  It was brought over from the UK many years ago and was relicensed in Malta.  The problem is that it has been garaged for 10 or more years but due to dementia and basically not realising you had to, the plates where never returned to the MTA nor was anyone at the MTA advised the car was off the road.  Her father presumed I think fairly that if it was in a private garage due to not working that he needn't renew any licenses or do anything with the MTA.

Fast forward to his death and we have contacted MTA about 2 years ago now who were totally useless and unhelpful on the subject.  Essentially as the plates were not garaged there is a crazy fine of E20 a day since the car was last taxed.  Obviously this is not an option and we have even asked if they would take the car and forget the fine.  We have told them of her fathers age and mental state and the fact that he hadn't driven in Malta nor visited regurlary in many years and was indeed in care in the UK.  They offered no help whatsoever.  We cannot even return the plates to them and stop the fine going up without paying the fine so it's just escalating at E20 a day!  The only advice they gave was to pay the fine and either return the plates and declare the car off the road, or re register the car (after paying the fine).

Does anyone have any advice on what we can do here?  Currently we have the space to store the car in the garage and just leave it as is but I can't see that's going to help anyone.  Also it's a lovely car so it's just so sad seeing it sat there unused.  The MTA clearly aren't worried about it as they have never contacted about the car and even haven't in the last 2 years since we made contact with them!

It's a nice car with a little TLC it would be roadworthy again so options include...
1) Getting it back on the road in Malta - the fines are over E3000 and the car isn't worth anywhere near that.  Could there be anyway around this given the circumstances?
2) Getting it back to the UK and re-registering there.  If we look into this I need to know a) can we get it off the island if we tow and take the plates off? b) Could we re-register in the UK, specifically would DVLA check with MTA to re-register and possibly deny on the outstanding fine?  It used to be a UK car so I guess DVLA would have a record of it still.  Is bringing a car back to the UK that was previously registered different to just importing a car?
3) Can we ship back to the UK and just use as a track day car and never use it on the road.  An option I'm keen on but unsure about getting it out of the country in a container or on a car import lorry?
4) Can we scrap the car in Malta which would be a real shame, without paying the fine.
5) Can we sell the car in Malta?

Basically the fine is utterly ridiculous and just not worth paying, we are looking for a legal way out of this, obviously don't want to break any laws here!

Hoping someone can help as I've read some great advice on this forum!

Cheers
Dave

"nor was anyone at the MTA advised the car was off the road. " so presumably means it hasn't been insured (as it should have been) either

who owns the car ? was it included in the will ?

I think that there is an amnesty regarding unregistered cars and the fines accrued. I read about it in the Times of Malta fairly recently and on our recent visit to MTA at hornchurch there was a specific counter set up and ready to go. So may be worth a visit to enquire.
What car is it? as it may be worth paying the fine and selling it on.
Terry

Is this the Amnesty you saw?  Appears to be a VAT one and I guess therefore not applicable :-(

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … hed.393889

Even with the crazy car prices in Malta, if we pay the fine and sell the car we may 'break even' so to speak but it's more sentimental value to be honest, it's just such a shame seeing it sat there unused and we just feel it's trapped there so looking for a way out.

I have just found something on the Transport website...

As from the 15th November, 2011, where the owner of a motor vehicle, licensed by the Authority, fails to pay for unjustified reasons, the applicable licence for that vehicle within three months from the expiry of the said licence, he shall be liable to an administrative fine, payable to the Authority, of €10.00 for each month the applicable circulation licence fee remains unpaid, with such amount not exceeding €100.00.

So my question now is, is the circulation license the same as the number plates here?  I appreciate it's the tax disc but could there also be a fine for the number plate.  If this covers both, happy days!  Though I can see there being another fine?

I can also find nothing to say that a car must have insurance if off a public road.

davedj79 wrote:

I can also find nothing to say that a car must have insurance if off a public road.

what you need to find is something that says you don't need insurance

http://www.justiceservices.gov.mt/Downl … temid=9208

davedj79 wrote:

How will you prove it was was off the road, when it wasn't declared as such ?

The TM artical is the item I saw in the Times.
It looks to me like all you will have to pay is the 100 euro max fine. You will need to change the registered owner to yourself (or whoever it was left to in his will)and then declare it off the road.
The insurance question is not relevant until you want to put it back on the road.
Terry

I'm not sure on the wording though as with a lot of wording in Malta!  I don't know if it means E10/month since Nov 2011 plus anything before or that total fine in total, how do you read it?  Changing the name on the car simply involves filling in the change on the ownership documents as per the UK (plus Will documentation) does it not?

It seems that you will have to pay an admin fee of 125 euros, send in the form (I assume that you get this from TM). It then depends on whay you do with the vehicle as to what else you pay.
50% if you say its been garaged from Date ../../....
You realy need to go to the TM office in valletta and ask.
Do this before you put the vehicle in your name as there must be some provision for a vehicle that is part of the estate of someone who is deceased?
Terry