Hoping to move to Dalat

Hi as I am new here just curious if any expats are in Dalat
as I my wife Trang and 2 daughters 8 and 10  are hoping to move there within
the next 6 months also is there a c.c. limit on motorcycles ...i have seen a few larger bikes in v.n. but they are rare  ...
we have the 5 year mien thi thuc exemption and will have to visit the local immigration department in dalat to have papers sorted every 3 months they did say we would not need to go out of the country to do it ........
also is there any thing you wish you had brought to Vietnam but didn't just want to make sure I don't forget anything important ..
kind regards

Tim

IF you use a foreign licence to acquire a VN licence there is a maximum engine size on motorcycles you can drive. I forget exactly what the number is, somewhere around 180cc, but prevents you from driving a 220cc legally.

http://www.caravanviet.com/forum/customavatars/avatar19_3.gif

A sign to look out for!

Learning driving licence Vietnamese and the skies the limit and your licence is good until you die.

There are a few large engined machines but the tax kills the market. Nothing is allowed to approach rge CGST size of 500cc although they are getting American police variants now.

http://caravanviet.com/forum/imagehosting/194a2010bc7e4c9.jpg

A new CGST patrol car fitted with 905nM laser unit
(in case you want to order a laser detector)

FIREFLY100 wrote:

Hi as I am new here just curious if any expats are in Dalat
as I my wife Trang and 2 daughters 8 and 10  are hoping to move there within
the next 6 months also is there a c.c. limit on motorcycles ...i have seen a few larger bikes in v.n. but they are rare  ...
we have the 5 year mien thi thuc exemption and will have to visit the local immigration department in dalat to have papers sorted every 3 months they did say we would not need to go out of the country to do it ........
also is there any thing you wish you had brought to Vietnam but didn't just want to make sure I don't forget anything important ..
kind regards

Tim

Hey Tim,

Did you end up moving to Dalat?

I ask because people keep telling me about the great weather and wonderful countryside.

If you live there have you found an expat community. I'm very happy to have local friends, but every once in awhile to have a conversation with a westerner is really appreciated.

Can you report what your experience is in Delat?

Thanks,

John

yes Dlat is a great place to live the weather is cool all year round so you may want to have some warm clothes for the evenings.. the culture here is great with more music venues opening up and being a university city it good.. In my opion you don't need a motorbike bigger than a 150 cc as the roads in Vietnam are narrow and crowed for bigger bikes but for long traveling a 250 would be better.. and the speed  limit is mostly if iam correct is 30-50 km hr.I travel with my wife and son a lot on a 150 cc  it works for us..
Hope you come and enjoy
Dave

John, you'll find several expat Americans, along with at least one educated in English Filipino working at the Dalat Foreign Language School. at 21/5 Tran Phu St. and 44 Hung Vuong St. A few have a fair number of years living there.

Good luck. Nice place to raise a family, and great weather.