Finally....

We are finally going to be moving to Malta.

We will have at least £3000 in savings to make a start, will that be enough do you think until we can find work?

We have a ten month old baby, is there any useful info you can share on emigrating abroad with a little one?

I am so nervous, but so excited too.

Thanks,

Kirsty x

Hi Kirsty,

welcome to the forum.

Your savings should keep you going for a few months. What kind of work are you looking for and which area are you going to choose to live?

Things shouldn't be too difficult for you here at the beginning. And summer is on it's way -))It's the second year when the newness has worn of and the vacation feeling is gone.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi!
There are a group of expat mums that meet in Playzone in Sliema every Wednesday from 3pm till 5pm. We all have children of various ages and are happy to help you with questions, advice and info etc. Just come along on a Wednesday when you arrive or inbox me if you prefer.
Good luck!x

Welcome to the forum and Have a great trip over

Julian

There is quite a lot of work being offered at the moment in Malta as the season vacancies are now being offered

Hi Kirsty!

That's very exciting! Don't be nervous - it's an adventure!

I have a 9 month old daughter and am living in Sliema.

Inbox me when you're settled if you'd like to meet for coffee or a walk.

Take care...

thanks everyone for your replies :)
I will definetly get in contact once we arrive,
we are thinking of moving over beginning of July time!

I have a quick question, is it worth me and my partner coming out for a couple of days in may time to see exactly where we want to live, and work, or should we just wait until we all go in July?

thanks!

Its a very good idea to come out in advance even for a few days, you can look around different areas, North, Central and south...

Realistically i would suggest that anyone needs to look at any country before they commit

Julian

Hi Kirsty,

every little helps although just a few days is a bit on the short side. I'm not sure how well you know Malta but if you know Malta then I personally would save the money for a trip that short and spend the money when you are here in July.

It will be difficult to choose where you want to live and work. I'm sure your main priority will be work and there you have to see what you can get and where the job is located. Choosing your residence based on your job might be convenient but your work might change over the time or you might want to change your appartment.
You didn't say what kind of work you are looking for but in general the work/job situation is better in the Sliema/St.Julians/Birkirkara/Valletta area so it could be a choice to look for a new home in those areas and not too far out in the countryside or North. Many Expats move around a few times before they find the 'right' place. -)))Just make sure you don't make your rental agreement too long at the beginning even if you might get a better deal if you sign for longer. That could backfire ...

Cheers
Ricky