Getting married in Tanzania

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Tanzania or who are about to get married in Tanzania to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Tanzania? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Tanzania)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Armand wrote:

Hi all,

We invite all the ones who got married in Tanzania or who are about to get married in Tanzania to participate in this thread :)

What are the formalities to get married in Tanzania? Is it the same for a couple of foreigners of for a mixed couple (between a foreigner and a native of Tanzania)?

Are the procedures complicated?

How long does it take to carry out all the formalities?

Thank you in advance for participating,

Armand

Hi Armand,
We have just moved to Dar and are wanting to get married in July, either in Dar or Zanzibar.... Have been wondering about the above myself.... Will be following all your replies.
Chantelle

Hi Chantelle,

I have a post on my blog that gives the link on some step by step information in regards to getting married in Tanzania. Here is the link. The True Tanzania- Getting Married

Thanks a mil!

Thanks for your help Bonnie TZ ;)

Armand

Hi,
I am British and my wife Tanzanian. We met in the UK but I always wanted to get married abroad. In Tanzania it was fantastic. She made all the arrangements so I can't give specific advice how to arrange but it won't be difficult. Book the church, halls etc. Our wedding was traditional so there are 3 ceremonies spread over a week. It was amazing!!
Alan

I found this link to this law, if your are interested. I think that it still applies. :-)

TZ Marriage Law

It is pretty long and boring, but it still might be helpful. :-)

Hi everybody,

I met a very special guy in Tanzania and we are planning to get married. It does not necessarily have to be in Tanzania, but as I am moving there, why not marry there as well?

Found this thread very interesting, but unfortunately I cannot get access to the step by step information that Bonnie is referring to.

Bonnie, is there another way I could get this information? Do you have it somewhere, maybe as pdf or under another link?

Thanks,
Jolanda
(Maria moja is my nickname, unfortunately Jolanda was already taken)

Okay, I changed the link, cause it wasn't working any more and came up with a new creation. :-)

Getting Married in TZ, Click Here for the new check list in regards to getting married in TZ. :-)

I came across this site and am very thankful. I am an Aussie and have been to Tanzania 3 times in the last 2 years. I am engaged to a Tanzanian. He is Massai. WE plan to marry later this year in the AOG church we attended. This site has been very helpful and I have some idea of where to begin from here in Aus.
Blessings,
Debs