Getting married in Tunisia

Thanks its very informative

How did the wedding go? Was he able to move to Canada with you ?

The information you shared was wonderful.
I am an American woman who will be marrying an Algerian man, in Tunisia this summer, 2018.....any current info I should know? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Feel free to email me directly or text me

With the deepest of gratitude,
Shelli

And FB messenger

Let's private message one of these ways and I can give you my cell number

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Contact details should be shared through the private messaging system. Thank you
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Can you tell me if you decide to stay in Tunisia to get married - what is the minimum amount of time you need to stay there.  I am British, living in the USA with Permanent Green Card.  Do I get my proof of being single from the US Embassy? (even tho I'm a Brit). ?

Ur proof of celibacy @ the US Embassy is for US citizens
GC holders is not applicable

Getting ur Tunisian spouse to the US will be beyond hard.

6 months max

Sorry having an Algerian future husband is almost imposssible to get him to the US even if u were American!!!
May god help you !!!

My fiance is not Tunisian..he is Algerian. I am American, in Tunis to work, we wanting to marry in Tunis

Why would you make this statement? With all do respect, Unless you have valid proof and facts to make that statement, you should refrain my commenting.

Ozitoun wrote:

6 months max

Sorry having an Algerian future husband is almost imposssible to get him to the US even if u were American!!!
May god help you !!!

Please keep to topic, Slynea did not ask anything about America.

I was responding to the British lady with the green card....

Although, it's blatant your situation is no better getting an Algerian to the states will take for ever

Been there done that !!!!

Ozitoun wrote:

I was responding to the British lady with the green card....

Although, it's blatant your situation is no better getting an Algerian to the states will take for ever

Been there done that !!!!

Then to save confusion in order for members to know who you are talking too, please use the Quote feature.

....was responding to a different lady

Being an American, I have lived that experience, I might not be diplomatic, but I am truthful

With this, this topic is close for me!!

Bests !!!!

So...where does one get proof of celibacy?  I am a British citizen living in US for many years (with Green Card).  How would the British Embassy know if I'm single/celibate ..the Green Card Issuer - the US Immigtation & Naturalization has record of my status...no? yes?

Yet again!!!
The certificate of celibacy only applies to US citizens.

As a British , your answers could be answered by the British rules of laws..ONLY

Living in America has no bearing...Having said that, it will be easier(common sense) for your future hubby to immigrate to England 1st....

But again what would I know ???

I guess I'm referring to the requirements of Tunisian law.  I thought a certificate of celibacy is required no matter where you are coming from?
I've left messages with both the British Embassy (and the Algerian Embassy since I'd be travelling there first), since I need to know about Visa requirements - and if I need a visa for Tunisia (I think I do) ...but no-one replies to me 🙄
Some of what I found out about the visa is they need to have a letter from your employer showing the date you leave and return to work.  I am self-employed and there is no area to give this information on the form.  I'm waiting to hear back ...very frustrating when you cannot even get replies from the agencies involved in getting your documents started.

Now, you start getting my point...
Lady, it's not gonna be easy
Hope ur love will prevail....
Good luck

American citizens need to have a residence card within 120 days. European citizens are required to have it within 90 days. It took me a couple months to get an answer.

Your answer is very helpful. Are two copies required? What if I only have one copy?

yitoelw wrote:

i'm american. i just got married to an algerian in tunisia. to make things alot faster and easier, just stay in tunis. the US embassy is there, the algerian consulate is there, the medical examiners are there, the document translators are all there. seriously, everything you'll need is right there in tunis.  ok, here's what you'll need:

the woman:
- 2 certified copies of birth certificate (have your fiance call a document translator in tunis, since your fiance already speaks the language, it's better if he does this)
- 2 certified copies of divorce certificate (that's IF you've been married before. these also need to be translated, take them to the document translator too)
- get a medical waiver from a doctor saying that neither you nor your fiance have any type of disease (these doctors have clinics on the main streets of tunis. we didn't even see a doctor, the receptionist took our passports and talked to the doctor while we waited in the waiting room. took about 10 minutes costed like 60 tunisian dinar.
- get a certificate from US embassy saying that you're not married and that you're free to marry. YOU MUST SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT ON THEIR WEBSITE FOR THIS. alot of times, it can be the same day that you scheduled, if not, it'll be the very next day. make sure you print it off after you schedule it. the US embassy needs the print off. (you can go to any cyber cafe and log onto the US embassy's site and do this). you will enter the embassy, show them your paper that you printed off regarding your appointment. you will fill out a short form, with your information & your fiance's information and then you both will have to raise your right hands and swear under oath that what you wrote is true, then you both sign it & the embassy officer signs it, then you pay 82 tunisian dinar or 50 us dollars.

all these papers that you received... the translated birth certificates, translated divorce certificates, the medical waiver, the affidavit from US embassy saying that you're free to marry, go ahead and make a bunch of copies of them, there's copier places all over tunis.
now your fiance will have to call around to find a lawyer that will perform the marriage for you. there's lawyers that specialize in foreign marriages such as these, so it's not gonna be hard to find one. our lawyer charged around 300 tunisian dinar. it took about an hour to get married. the lawyer had to translate the marriage ceremony in his log book, which he translated into arabic. he was littereally writing it down. since i'm american, he had to translate all my information. it took awhile.

If I don't have two copies of those and just have one of each would it be a problem?

When I was married 6 years ago it was required to have 2. It is still required as of 1 month ago.

What was the easiest city in Tunisia to marry in? I'm a female from United States marrying a Algerian man.

Hello,

I am also an American who will be marrying an Algerian man in Tunis, on Valentine's Day.
When are you planning to marry?

I was planning in November but now I'm not sure. Is there a waiting period before they will marry you? I was going to marry in Tunis.

I'm dating an Algerian and we want to marry in Tunis. What does my Algerian fiancé need? The same thing?

Hello, I'm from Slovakia and want to get marry with my tunisian friend.  Mostly of posts here is old, maybe something was changed in last months. Can you help me which documents we both need? And how old have to be translation my documents?
And where here in Tunisia I can ask for official translation?
(Actually I'm in Sousse)
Thank you for all your help

Merry

Hi!

I've been trying to book an appointment at the British Embassy in Tunis for weeks now but all slots show as unavailable or 0 appointments 🙁 please could anyone advise on how to get an appointment or let me know how you've managed to get one if you did. I'm trying to do this through the Gov website, is there another way or is it just a case of checking every day and hoping something comes up. Thanks in advance